Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
(2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's always comments on what is the more popular front end of our beloved '80's and early '90's Broughams/Devilles. Just for fun I'd like to see which is the most liked here on the forum.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Like I said in your first attempt at this: sealed beams. Composites look bug-eyed.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,691 Posts
^ What he said. I don't like the composite headlights on anything from this era. Cutlasses, Broughams, DeVilles, whatever. Sealed beams are the way to go.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
I believe there's no question where my alliances lie.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,696 Posts
It's funny. When I started the search for my coupe, I was determined to "90" it with the composite headlight header, etc. Once I got it and really started to appreciate the styling, I found I prefer the old style.

·
Registered
(2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm kind of in the same boat. All I ever wanted was a '90 FWBC, now I've got all I need to create the car I've always wanted but can't bare to disassemble such a nice piece of history. I do dislike the eggcrate grill though, 90's my favorite in that department.

On another note, I just scored a pair of rear bumper guards,:thumbsup: not my favorite look, but they were on my car from the dealer and still have the marks so it's only right..

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I just dont get it. Here's a good comparison(apples to apples)Take a look:

To me, the 90 and up front looks way better.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
1990-92 for me. The sealed beam headlights look very dated by 1990's standards, and the composites were a great way to transition a '70s design into the '90s. To me, the composites make the front end appear a lot cleaner and smoother. I do however, like the 1981/87-88 egg crate style grill. The 1990-92 "waterfall" style looks great as well, only because the vertical slats stick out farther than the horizontal ones do, which makes the grille it's self look taller when viewed dead on, while it makes it appear more aggressive when viewed in profile.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I just dont get it. Here's a good comparison(apples to apples)Take a look:

To me, the 90 and up front looks way better.
That car still looks beautiful and tough enough to school any other car on the road. Much more so than the other one, which looks like an old lady, who just saw a rat.

Sure my car is weak willed, and last month I lost a race to some geezer in a Grand Marquis, but at least it looks like it has cojones. Most of the Euro cars have that all powerful 350, which gives them the cojones, but they get no respect because they look like they're afraid of everything; afraid of anything above a brisk drive through the park. If you could equate cars to humans, the '89 and lesser Cadillac would be like the ungodly manchild of Sean Connery and Chuck Norris, where the Euro Brougham would the spawn of Sarah Palin and Carol Channing.

Beat that logic...

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
The composite headlights give it more of a Rolls Royce/Bentley look as well.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The composite headlights give it more of a Rolls Royce/Bentley look as well.
Agreed!!!!

I think the euro lights really clean up the styling. The front maw on the 80-89 cars tends to look a little busy IMO. Although those crest with wings emblems below the headlights are pretty pimp.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
I think you're nuts to compare to a RR - I had a 1984 RR which I had fitted both the composite and the original quad sealed beams - the classic is the sealed beams - very All-American. :)

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Sure my car is weak willed, and last month I lost a race to some geezer in a Grand Marquis, but at least it looks like it has cojones. Most of the Euro cars have that all powerful 350, which gives them the cojones, but they get no respect because they look like they're afraid of everything; afraid of anything above a brisk drive through the park. If you could equate cars to humans, the '89 and lesser Cadillac would be like the ungodly manchild of Sean Connery and Chuck Norris, where the Euro Brougham would the spawn of Sarah Palin and Carol Channing.

Beat that logic...
:cookoo:but I can dig it.

·
Registered
1979 Sedan deVille d'Elegance
4,153 Posts
The classic original is the old school American way. I hate to think of what all the bowing to Euro trends led the American car industry to... :)

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The classic original is the old school American way. I hate to think of what all the bowing to Euro trends led the American car industry to... :)
Hey, its not all bad. Our American cars now handle/steer reasonably well, something that cannot be said back in the 70's/early 80's. I love my big Cadillac's overboosted steering, but it would be nice if it weren't so damn numb on center. My Z28 is much easier to keep pointed on a straight line down the interstate, despite its mongo wide 275 series tires.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
I'm also sure that when they went to the "euro style" (god I hate that name, it sounds so ricer) headlights in '90, the headlights were more powerful and better aimed so night time visibility improved.

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac Brougham; 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood
399 Posts
I like both. The '90 clip has that sleek, cleaner look, but the sealed beams look more formal, specially with the parking lights with the wings. If I wanted to "'90" my '89, I might replace the rear clip, but I would probably leave the sealed beams.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,696 Posts
I'm also sure that when they went to the "euro style" (god I hate that name, it sounds so ricer) headlights in '90, the headlights were more powerful and better aimed so night time visibility improved.
Quite the opposite, actually. The 9004 bulb puts out far less lumens than a halogen sealed beam. Especially true when on high beams. It was all about the look.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
^Was that another nail I just heard, being hammered into the Euro coffin?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts