Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 SPORT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 SRX AWD 4.6L which was purchased in 07 with 9k mls and a 3 yr warranty extension... though it drove like a dream car ,within 3 yrs in had the following repairs A. rack&pinion replacement and subsequent power steering pump that was locked up when I came to pick the car up ... B at 45k began having stalling at idle issue ... after 3 days they (CREST CADILLAC-Plano Tx) decided to replace the throttle body - At close inspection after I picked up the car (from CREST CADILLAC in Plano, TX) i noticed that the wire harness connecting to the throttle body had been cut and spliced back together - a very questionable repair AND that the wires connecting to the cam sensor on the passenger side had been routed beside the engine block and were nearly burnt through - but the stalling had been fixed... drove without issue until 94k when I began having the loud popping noise we all know to be the trans axle chain going out - dropped off the car again at CREST CADILLAC and received that bad news....After a few days it then began having a misfire in cylinder 7 ( code 307) and intermittent O2 sensor code so I took it back to CREST and they told me it was a bad boot wire - NO problem I replaced that myself the next day but it did not fix the misfire in the least... took it BACK to Crest Cadillac the next day - 2 days later they told me I had low compression in cyl 7 and that the engine needed a partial rebuild @ $4000... Needless to say I already had my suspicions about the service department there and for good reason - while my car was there the rear hatch lock and the rear wiper motor stopped working "mysteriously" !! Upon hearing the news about the low compression in cyl 7 I asked "well why didn't the do the compression test in that cylinder in the first place ??? He had no reasonable answer .... I stormed out of the dealership having realized I had been completely scammed either intentionally by the service dept. or by a mechanic who didn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground or both..... Several months have passed abd the misfire migrated to cyl 5 but I finally decided to fix the trans axle myself - after saving for the money to buy parts from Cobra Transmission... meanwhile my caddy has been parked in the garage collecting a fair amount of dust....
Last week I lost the loaner car I was using for work - a long story in itself... So Ive been forced to take off of work to expedite repairs on my car... I thought the removal of the trans axle was going to be very hard but turned out to be very easy by my standards ( 2 hrs on my back and it was out) but upon inspection the driven sprocket had fused to the input shaft and a crack started near the drain plug..... so at this point I just decided to get the rebuilt TA and replace it.....in the mean time I have lost my job because of lack of transportation .... Im sitting here tonight having ordered the trans axle rebuild with the knowledge that even when I get this part repaired I STILL have to figure out what the misfire is all about.... I'll probably have no choice but to find a local mechanic to do the diagnostic on it as I no longer trust the afore mentioned dealership... ALL this at only 105k adult driven and highly maintained mls....
what was once the best car I had ever owned is now the bane of my financial existence.... I have sorely learned my lesson about GM and the very expensive product they produce... a very flawed and unreliable product indeed..... I can only imagine the amount of money that Crest Cadillac is making off of their loyal customers who have no clue ....

PS today did some poking around under the car (as I have plenty of time on my hands now) and took out the o2 sensor below the CC on the side thats misfiring - it's completely charred black - Its my gut feeling that this has absolutely nothing to do with a compression loss but rather is related to the "fix" they did on my idle / throttle body replacement and or the burnt wires to the Cam sensor on that side ....
Any suggestions would be helpful ... thanks for listening to my sob story....

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
After about 2 mi uses I got bored and all I was able to take from it is that after y he first repair you should of found a new dealer.

·
Registered
2008 SRX V-6 AWD
141 Posts
I would say your O2 is charred because driving it with misfires allows un-burnt fuel to pass back and hit the hot O2 sensor that impedes the flow of exhaust
How old are the plugs?
Check the impedance on your coils

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Of course the O2 sensor is charred black! It sits in the exhaust stream... You didn't expect it to be silver and shiny, did you?

·
Registered
2005 SRX V8 SPORT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE - compression tests confirm cyl 5 is leaking down - motor is history - SRX is a expensive POS even if its well maintained.... GARBAGE.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
So 1 cylinder is leaking down and the motor is done so now you just hate spam all the threads you can????

How about find out if it is the head or the rings and see if it can be fixed and get it running again, if you can rant then me as a GM fan and former happy owner of 2 SRX's can rant back.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Like some cars (some a lot more then others) you will have either a good one or bad one, SRX is a perfect example, word of warning. never talk bad about a car on a forum, just like football fans you have die hard GM fans. You may as well kick the dog in the fans front yard then say something bad about GM. At least that's what I have seen here searching info about SRX. No matter what car you buy, vintage models excluded, if it develops internal problems fix it (if affordable) and get rid of it, it's been bit by the Gremlins/poorly maintained. Don't put your hand in the lions mouth twice, try a different brand and check the forums of the brand you are considering before buying.

Good luck with your truck repairs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts