Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here - 2015 ATS4. 2.0t. Luxury trim
DIC shows “CAL”. OnStar constantly displays a red light. Are these 2 events related? Does the compass GPS use the OnStar antenna?
Is the compass direction displayed on the DIC only or is any directional information also displayed on the CUE screen?
I have not yet done the “drive in a circle in an open parking lot” to calibrate the compass, but I’m thinking there is a bigger issue with receiving GPS signal if the OnStar light is red? Anyone have this happen? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your onstar active?
No - I don’t have an active OnStar subscription. Can’t seem to get a consistent answer though - red light means there is a problem with the onboard OnStar system? Green light means the onboard OnStar system is functioning properly whether or not there is a subscription. I can’t even connect with OnStar when I press the blue OnStar button.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
911 Posts
Do you have XM Radio?
The shark fin on the roof handles GPS, XM and GPS.
I had the circuit board in the shark fin fail. It took out all 3.
I seem to remember its a 50 or 60 dollar part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No - I don’t have an XM subscription for the vehicle. I’m thinking the shark fin is the problem too. BTW - I should have mentioned that I just recently purchased the car so I don’t know what the compass feature even looks like or where it appears.

·
Registered
911 Posts
It should be where it says CAL.
That antenna is also the signal used by the in dash navigation.

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux Sport and 2014 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux
1,140 Posts
Do you have XM Radio?
The shark fin on the roof handles GPS, XM and GPS.
I had the circuit board in the shark fin fail. It took out all 3.
I seem to remember its a 50 or 60 dollar part.
There's a circuit board in the antenna? That means it can fail due to heat, moisture, or any other type of environmental exposure.

Heat would be the biggest culprit.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,642 Posts
No - I don’t have an active OnStar subscription. Can’t seem to get a consistent answer though - red light means there is a problem with the onboard OnStar system? Green light means the onboard OnStar system is functioning properly whether or not there is a subscription. I can’t even connect with OnStar when I press the blue OnStar button.
You are correct, if functioning properly it should be green. There should be codes if you have a good code reader, if not, any shop could do this for you. The codes will point you in the right direction for correcting the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a circuit board in the antenna? That means it can fail due to heat, moisture, or any other type of environmental exposure.

I’ll take a closer look at the shark fin antenna... thanks
You are correct, if functioning properly it should be green. There should be codes if you have a good code reader, if not, any shop could do this for you. The codes will point you in the right direction for correcting the issue.
I do have a code reader but don’t know if it is sophisticated enough to capture an OnStar code. I will give it a try and see what codes, if any, it captures. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
911 Posts

Actually water was the culprit. It looks like the ATS doesn't have the same design as the one that failed on my G6. It still looks like replacing the shark fin has been the fix for many with GPS problems.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
434 Posts
Haha. 'Point you in the right direction.' That was funny, even if not intended.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts