Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have this road near me, that in every car I have driven on it, 91 Bonneville, 91 SDV, 90 Aerostar AWD, 92 Aerostar 3.0L, 92 Aerostar 4.0L, 96 Suburban, and now my 94 FWB, everything has totally sucked on it, bottomed out, over extended the suspension travel, come off the ground (at 50 mph no less!), etc. Except the 94 FWB w/FE2 and V4P. It handled it like it was almost not even there.

The rear springs are no less than 1/2in in diameter. I would have to count coils to see how many. Front bar is 1 1/8", rear is 7/8" to 1". I don't know if those are normal sized or not. It still leans like anything in a corner. Wish it didn't. My 91 SDV can out handle it on hard corners, but on not so bad corners, the 94 FWB w/FE2 shines.

Impala SS springs on a FWB might work well, the heavier weight may soften the ride some. I rode in a 94-95 Impala SS in around 96-97 and I don't remember complaining on the ride at all. Just the comment I made about the brakes and almost got to eat dash. Yes, they DO brake well..

With the V4P option rated at 840 lbs tonque weight, that is pretty impressive if you as me. Most trucks can't handle more than 500 unless they go weight distributing. This is real weight here.

caddycruiser said:
So, besides the aftermarket shocks you have on, what's really different with the FE2? Spring rates only? Or also things like roll bars? This is just the code name for the Towing Package suspension, correct?

I do understand perfectly what you are talking about though--right now, the stock marshmallow suspension on the '93 FWB is just a little too all over the place for me. Truth be told, that's the reason why I can NEVER ride in the back seat, because the 2 or 3 times I have, I got sea sick...LITERALLY. Still seems like the shocks and springs are working perfectly normal, just are tuned for the excess float to begin with. Yours sounds just like something I would like, though--still soft luxury, but not to the extreme that you get sea sick...
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
All very interesting. But I still wonder--was the FE2 a separate option, or just the suspension bits that came with the Tow Pack?

Wonder what any of the part #'s are, or at least where to find any of this stuff used?

Still think I'd like SS coils matched with Bilsteins on this tank of a car, except for the fact that the slight drop can look a little funny with stock FW wheels.

Do you still have the air level in the back, or did you replace those with normal shocks?
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
Katshot said:
To be honest, I didn't like the SS coils on my Caddy. It didn't sit the way I wanted and it lost the Cadillac ride.
Really? I don't think I'd like the drop if I kept the stock wheels, but thought the feel would be "right". Well, at least based on what others had said, like HotRodSaint saying his SS/Bilstein combo made it feel like "Euro touring".

I just want something that doesn't make you sea sick over road undulations and is more of a moderately firm-supple than marshmallow-soft. Kind of like the way both our Avalanche and Suburban are--crisp, tight, but also terrificly supple and smooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
It's certainly a "subjective" issue but I really didn't like the SS springs in my car. I know a lot of guys use them but I felt they were too harsh. Hell, drive an Impala SS. Do you like the ride? I wanted to keep the Cadillac ride quality as much as possible, and manage a nice rake to it too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
I've been wondering about the trucks suspension I love how our 2000 suburban feels it turns great almost no sway yet its very soft over bumps even with 20's on it.

Does the actual height have something to do with how the truck feels over bumps?

I've wondered if since the seat is up higher that it helps cushion the bumps instead of where as a car you are much lower basically at the same height of the wheels.Would this affect the feel of the car?

I still have the soft ride but there is still a little too much sway in my fleetwood in tight turns. Of course its not stock soft but it's soft enough for me in non-city driving luckily for now all my local roads and other roads i use have been recently paved so they are fairly smooth.

I have to upgrade my front sway bar but what would you guys recommend to be just Slightly harder than the stock bar? Are the impala ss bars a little tougher?

I'm just looking for something to help in turns over the stock bar, what I did not expect was when I replaced all 4 springs with new stock springs that it would help sway but it did.
 

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the 70-81 F Body bar, 1.25", aka the limo bars.

http://www.acdelco.com lists 4 sway bar bushings, 1", 1 3/16", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". Same listing as Impala SS (I am sure the real listing is for a Caprice, as the Impala FE4 suspsension only has 1 bar)

According to Scott Mueller, the stock Impala SS bar is 30mm, which is 1.1811 inches, according to the calculator, 1 3/16" is closest english size.

Me? Go with the limo bars that Katshot has, which I firmly believe are the 70-81 F car bars. WS6 suspension. But use the 4th Gen F car bushings, as they are lined to be quiet. They are typically only around $70.

http://impala.homeip.net/impala/faq/impala_faq.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
ocjmakaveli said:
I've been wondering about the trucks suspension I love how our 2000 suburban feels it turns great almost no sway yet its very soft over bumps even with 20's on it.

Does the actual height have something to do with how the truck feels over bumps?

I've wondered if since the seat is up higher that it helps cushion the bumps instead of where as a car you are much lower basically at the same height of the wheels.Would this affect the feel of the car?

I still have the soft ride but there is still a little too much sway in my fleetwood in tight turns. Of course its not stock soft but it's soft enough for me in non-city driving luckily for now all my local roads and other roads i use have been recently paved so they are fairly smooth.

I have to upgrade my front sway bar but what would you guys recommend to be just Slightly harder than the stock bar? Are the impala ss bars a little tougher?

I'm just looking for something to help in turns over the stock bar, what I did not expect was when I replaced all 4 springs with new stock springs that it would help sway but it did.
I think you'll find that one BIG advantage a truck has is that it will generally have substantially better suspension travel than a car. The travel allows for much better absorbsion of shock and still allows a softer spring rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
N0DIH said:
Get the 70-81 F Body bar, 1.25", aka the limo bars.

http://www.acdelco.com lists 4 sway bar bushings, 1", 1 3/16", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". Same listing as Impala SS (I am sure the real listing is for a Caprice, as the Impala FE4 suspsension only has 1 bar)

According to Scott Mueller, the stock Impala SS bar is 30mm, which is 1.1811 inches, according to the calculator, 1 3/16" is closest english size.

Me? Go with the limo bars that Katshot has, which I firmly believe are the 70-81 F car bars. WS6 suspension. But use the 4th Gen F car bushings, as they are lined to be quiet. They are typically only around $70.

http://impala.homeip.net/impala/faq/impala_faq.html
:shhh: Don't be giving away ALL my secrets!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
hmm i mustve overlooked that entirely the suspension travel must be what is missing hence I truely love the way the suburban handles it has the right amount of everything except its a little too tall for high speed fun but it still feels just right

I guess ill have to sacrifice one or the other in the caddy.

Thanks
 

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Still think I'd like SS coils matched with Bilsteins on this tank of a car, except for the fact that the slight drop can look a little funny with stock FW wheels.
Then you might want the 9C1 coils, which if my memory is correct, have the same spring rate as the SS springs with none of the ride height loss.

The only complaint that I have about my set-up, is the front bottoms out every so often. Not harsh. And no one in the car but me realizes that's what happening. I've just read to much and now I know what the car is doing.

BUT...I haven't switched the front bump stops over to the ZQ8's yet. And that's supposed to make a world of difference!

True, my suspension doesn't have the floaty feeling that the stock Cadillac does. But I didn't want to be disconnected from the road, I wanted to feel it just as you would in a european car. It's no fun doing 80 on the freeway, if you think you are about to leave the road.
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
HotRodSaint said:
Then you might want the 9C1 coils, which if my memory is correct, have the same spring rate as the SS springs with none of the ride height loss.
The only complaint that I have about my set-up, is the front bottoms out every so often. Not harsh. And no one in the car but me realizes that's what happening. I've just read to much and now I know what the car is doing.
BUT...I haven't switched the front bump stops over to the ZQ8's yet. And that's supposed to make a world of difference!
True, my suspension doesn't have the floaty feeling that the stock Cadillac does. But I didn't want to be disconnected from the road, I wanted to feel it just as you would in a european car. It's no fun doing 80 on the freeway, if you think you are about to leave the road.
Interesting, but from what I've read, that might actually make the car a little too hard...if that's possible?
 

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have heard 9C1 coils are very stiff (from a cop and Impy SS guys who have used them). I like mine how they are, the car is solid and I would have no issues whatsoever taking it to 100+ mph for extended periods (I have taken it to the speed limiter, 107 on mine, and it was fine and solid, very stable and in complete control. My 91 SDV was not so comfy at high speeds. This car is great at them. I would not hesitate 120-130, maybe faster, depending on how it feels at those speeds.

I rarely ever, if ever, have bottomed out that I can recall. But I don't push it terribly hard either. It does lean too much in corners, wish it didn't, but that is lame bars too, bump stops might help too. I have a monster Herb Adams rear bar lined up and might use my 80 TTA bar on the front (Rancho Challenger GTIII, 1.25" adjustable sway bar, 300 to 900 lb/in deflection rate) but it has Heim joints which don't last terribly long on the street in the dirt. And on my T/A it was so stiff it ripped the bar to frame bolts out of the frame, causing me great problems. But man that thing was awesome!

The closest pictures to it (as this product is long since dead) http://groups.msn.com/FoxChassisMustangsRule/85newfiegtsalbum.msnw

HotRodSaint said:
Then you might want the 9C1 coils, which if my memory is correct, have the same spring rate as the SS springs with none of the ride height loss.

The only complaint that I have about my set-up, is the front bottoms out every so often. Not harsh. And no one in the car but me realizes that's what happening. I've just read to much and now I know what the car is doing.

BUT...I haven't switched the front bump stops over to the ZQ8's yet. And that's supposed to make a world of difference!

True, my suspension doesn't have the floaty feeling that the stock Cadillac does. But I didn't want to be disconnected from the road, I wanted to feel it just as you would in a european car. It's no fun doing 80 on the freeway, if you think you are about to leave the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
If you have a "floaty" feel in the car, it's more likely the shocks than the springs. Once you understand how the various suspension parts work together, you get a better idea of what ride characteristic is affected by what components, and how to "tune" the ride to your taste.
 

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
N0DIH said:
I rarely ever, if ever, have bottomed out that I can recall.
If you have stock SS springs up front, whether you realize it or not, you are hitting your bumpstops everyday. And it doesn't take much of a bump on the road to hit them.

But like I said, it's not a harsh feel. So unless you pay close attention to the 'bump', you might not even realize its happening.
 

·
Banned
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,237 Posts
Katshot said:
If you have a "floaty" feel in the car, it's more likely the shocks than the springs.
I almost went with the 'soft' Bilsteins shocks to maintain that upward Cadillac bounce.

In the end, I'm glad I didn't. Because what comes up, must come down. And I'd rather stay down at speed.
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
Well, going back to the original start of this topic, I posed a question: What, specifically, makes the FE2 different from the FE1? What parts are different? Is the FE2 just the suspension bits you get along with the towing package, or how was it ordered?

N0DIH's car sounds ideal, so that's why I want to know what FE2 actually changed.
 

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
Joined
·
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On my 80 TTA I hitthe bumpstops so often I pulled the bumpers out all together. The steering stops are actually in a postion to be a hard stop to keep from binding. On the T/A, only 1in of suspension travel down would contact the bumpers. And it make for one harsh ride. I was originally going to just cut 1in off (the low buck way back 20 years ago for better stops), but removal was far easier.

I don't think I am hitting them often, unless they are uncommonly soft and I just don't feel it. My T/A you knew. I know I get to them in hard corners, it takes me leaning enough to get in contact with them to corner decent (I have a couple corners I hit daily that are good ones), once on them it does pretty well.

I felts on my T/A it was more inportant to allow the suspension to work than to be bound up on bumpers. As the steering stops were there and in a perfect place to be a hard limiter on the control arms to keep from arm to frame contact, it worked well. I never ever made contact with them. And I pushed that car a lot.

As for rear springs, they are no less than 1/2" coils, but not much more than that either.

I have never driven a FE1 Cad to compare, so I have no frame of reference on how good or bad it rides. Mine is somewhat stiff at times, bumpy roads you know it, it doesnt' feel Cadillac there....

An older gentleman rode with me one day and he commented that the ride in the the Lincoln Town car was much softer than my Cad was. I took it as a compliment!

I am running the Gabriel "Ultra" 9C1 shocks in the front, and AC Delco air shocks in the rear. The rears are getting pretty bad compared to the front, so they need to go soon too. Go over a big bump and they bounce 1 more time than the front, which is a bit annoying. But at $28 (at Autozone), they were a fair price and good for the performance. They claim it has a "no wear" valve. Hmm, we shall see. But this is the first shock that I have ever had that didn't lose 50% of more performance from the day I put it on to 1000 miles. This one has kept at least 80% of the new installed performance.

Well, ACDelco.com isn't muchhelp. It only shows 1 spring, front, for the FWB, and it is the same spring as on lots of GM RWD cars from 68-96. Including some FWD apps. Which doesn't make sense. Is that spring the same??

Autozone lists the variable rate spring (rear only) in the Impala SS and the Fleetwood (all) in 1994 as the same spring. But the Impala lists a HD P/N and regular P/N too. the FW doesn't. But my car isn't a variable rate (I despise them!) and I am glad.... Under Caprice, nothing at all. I guess Autozone isn't much into springs anymore like they used to.

HotRodSaint said:
If you have stock SS springs up front, whether you realize it or not, you are hitting your bumpstops everyday. And it doesn't take much of a bump on the road to hit them.
But like I said, it's not a harsh feel. So unless you pay close attention to the 'bump', you might not even realize its happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,471 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Well, going back to the original start of this topic, I posed a question: What, specifically, makes the FE2 different from the FE1? What parts are different? Is the FE2 just the suspension bits you get along with the towing package, or how was it ordered?
N0DIH's car sounds ideal, so that's why I want to know what FE2 actually changed.
The dealer can give you the breakdown complete with part numbers. My guess would be:
1. Springs
2. Shocks
3. Sway bars
To tell truth, I've never thought about it though.
 

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
Joined
·
4,382 Posts
So, was this just the suspension that came with Tow Pack cars, then?

Since I probably would never get around to changing much more than shocks anyway, wonder what the car would feel like with the stock FE1 soft springs and then a set of Bilsteins all around? I'm thinking it would still swallow up all the bumps just as well because of the springs, but at the same time wouldn't bound up, down, and around as much because of the tighter shock control. At the same time, wonder if it would be best to go with either the "stiff" Bilsteins or the variable ones, if keeping the same coils?
 
1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Top