Which brand?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussing my fleet with Powerglide in the other thread about his decision about leasing, its occured to me that some of my staff's cars will need to be renewed this year, in August, I need to start seriously pulling figures in about March, because of various reasons, March is the time to start deciding and investigating.

Depening on what deal I can get on them, I am looking at prestige cars in the BMW 3 and 5 Series size.

I have to replace the following:

1x BMW 730d
2x BMW 530d
5x BMW 320d

My second in command will not be getting a 730d sized car this time round, so I am looking at the following:

3x 5-Series

- 1x 535d M-Sport
- 2x 525d SE

5x 3-Series

- 1x 330d M-Sport
- 4x 320d SE

I am looking for suggestions as to which manufacturer to go for, obviously dependant on my group buy discount.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
You know, all of your choices make very nice cars, I aways look at the bottom line. (I have to, I'm poor as a church mouse right now!) If you are going to approach it as a group deal, I would get quotes from the dealers with fleet maintenance included and see who comes up with the most bang for your buck....Oh, excuse me.... quash for your quid?
(hey, I don't know.. it rhymed OK?!)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kev said:
You know, all of your choices make very nice cars, I aways look at the bottom line. (I have to, I'm poor as a church mouse right now!) If you are going to approach it as a group deal, I would get quotes from the dealers with fleet maintenance included and see who comes up with the most bang for your buck....Oh, excuse me.... quash for your quid?
(hey, I don't know.. it rhymed OK?!)
As it runs they usually try to play themselves off against each other, this will be the third time I have done this, and I can say they will all usually (Lexus may not, but I have never looked at Lexus before) give me about the same price, but obviously some cars are going to be more reliable than others.

For example, in 2001 I had BMW and Mercedes give me exactly the saem price for their equivelant cars (ie 3 Vs C and 5 vs E, the 7 was actually bought in 2000, but he likes it and knows he isnt getting a 7 this time, so he decided to keep it when I offered him a new car last year)

I already dealt with BMW last year with the 120ds I got, but I'm concerned that BMWs are putting out the right image now, which is making me think abotu AUDI, since their cars are elegant and understated, and the new A6 and A4 are both very nice cars.

LOL, nice little rhyme there Kev :p

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
What about maintenance? Is there any way for you to include a good fleet maintenance contract in the deal? You've got to save some money here somewhere! After all, you've got Claire-maintenance to consider!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kev said:
What about maintenance? Is there any way for you to include a good fleet maintenance contract in the deal? You've got to save some money here somewhere! After all, you've got Claire-maintenance to consider!
The deal usually includes 3 years servicing and a 5 year warrenty, thats a standard deal, they wont budge on that, as I found trying to get free servicing for five eyars with the beemers, I also said "I could take my business elsewhere on this matter" "fine, but you wont get any better"

He was right I didnt.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
The deal usually includes 3 years servicing and a 5 year warrenty, thats a standard deal, they wont budge on that, as I found trying to get free servicing for five eyars with the beemers, I also said "I could take my business elsewhere on this matter" "fine, but you wont get any better"

He was right I didnt.
Ooh! I hate when they are right like that! Smug little S.O.....Oh, sorry.. got a little carried away there.

I guess all that's left is to decide which will be the better professional statement. That may be tough for us to chime in on as there is sure to be a great difference in perception "over there".

From your previous picks it seems obvious to me that elegance is a major factor, am I right?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kev said:
Ooh! I hate when they are right like that! Smug little S.O.....Oh, sorry.. got a little carried away there.

I guess all that's left is to decide which will be the better professional statement. That may be tough for us to chime in on as there is sure to be a great difference in perception "over there".

From your previous picks it seems obvious to me that elegance is a major factor, am I right?

That was where I was aiming, and yes I could have slapped him when I had to walk back into the dealer and hand him my brief case full of cash :helpless:

Elegance, subtelty, and the impression it gives, for example I'm not sure a BMW would be a good idea considering the current fugliness of them, they were pretty last time the main fleet needed renewing. The 1-Series I bougth arent really importand as they are for those of my staff at the bottom of the pile :D

Audi is looking better buy the minute, but as I say, they are all up, so suggestions are very welcome!!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just out of curiosity, which of these impresses more:

Imagine te man getting out of it was about to design an extension for you house, or a new facade for your office.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
To me;

The Benz says; "Money." Might say to some that you may be too expensive. OK for high dollar clientele but might scare away the more conservative spenders.

The Bimmer says; "Pompous, arrogant." At least to me.

The Jag says; "Classic, conservative." Old school look, very conservative, will their designs be innovative or boring?

The Audi says; "Interesting." Nice lines, seems to have a nice balance and appears to be very functional.

I guess I would lean toward the Audis too.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
A5 for the Big Cheese?

A4

or S4 for the middle guys?

and A3 for the Bottom Feeders?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kev said:
To me;

The Benz says; "Money." Might say to some that you may be too expensive. OK for high dollar clientele but might scare away the more conservative spenders.

The Bimmer says; "Pompous, arrogant." At least to me.

The Jag says; "Classic, conservative." Old school look, very conservative, will their designs be innovative or boring?

The Audi says; "Interesting." Nice lines, seems to have a nice balance and appears to be very functional.

I guess I would lean toward the Audis too.

Thats what I'm thinking there, I havent included Lexus because I simply dont wan tto go out and spend that much money on 8 Lexuses LOL.

The Audi is current favourite, despite being the underdog, time to get on their website and check the emmisions and prices.

·
Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade
5,826 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with the person about to do work for me getting out of any of those cars. But that's just me. As long as we could get along and they weren't some pompous a*****e. With that said I voted Jag.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kev said:
A5 for the Big Cheese?

A4

or S4 for the middle guys?

and A3 for the Bottom Feeders?
That isnt such a bad idea there actually, the A6 would do well with my second in command, not only would it satisfy his want for a bigger car than the lads below him, it would also keep costs low.

If I gave the 5-Series guys S4s they might complain, its a step down technically. The 1-Series are new so they will stay put until 2007 or 8 at least, but I could be swayed.

Heres how I am seeing it right now:

My No.2:

Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro

My current 530d guys:

2x Audi A6 2.7 TDI Quattro

My current 320d guys:

1x Audi A4 3.0TDI Quattro
2x Audi A4 2.0 TDI Quattro

I'm thinking that when the 120ds need renewal I could get A3s aswell.

Thats looking pretty good, time to do some number crunching

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, after a little bit of number crunching, here is what I'm looking at:

Audi A4 2.0 TDI SE £22,030
Audi A4 2.o TDI SE £22,030

Audi A4 2.5 TDI SE £24,465

Audi A6 2.0 TDI SE £25,275
Audi A6 2.0 TDI SE £25,275

Audi A6 3.0 TDI SE £31,885

Total: £202,610

That total could be significantly brought down because I am in fact buying 8 cars from them. Thats looking good, very good for me infact.

Steve: thanks for your opinion on that, after some research, I could get some of the fleet from Jaguar, but only one diesel is currently ofered in the S-Type, so some of the lads would actually be better off keeping their current cars, because they would be taking a lower car.

Going to do some more sliming around, but its looking good as is cheaper than last time too!!

I think that Audi will be making an appearence in my fleet soon!

It seems in my line of work, people judge you on every move you make, what car you drive, where your office is, how you walk, what clothes you wear, etc etc. Impressions are everything, I'm not sure turning up in a BMW or Merc is giving as good an impression as it once was. A Lexus is a grey area whcih may actually be a bad thing because there is less flare there than with any other.

Back to work on Monday, looks like I'm calling a fleet meeting as soon as I get in.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Tell you people to buy thier own cars. If you have a meeting with a client who must be impressed rent the car for a day or two. It is much cheaper.

·
Registered
2000 Black DeVille & 1994 Concours
963 Posts
I voted Audi after considering the various factors.

Incidentally, which of your cars do you take when you
are meeting a potential client? or does it depend on the
size of the project?

Also, I am somewhat amazed by how nice you are
to your employees.

I would get #2 the car of his choice. However, everyone
else can have the opportunity of exercising the buy back option
on their current car, when the lease is due, on their own.
Otherwise, they can use their own car provided that it is suitable
and not inclined to compromise the firm's reputation and
apparent high end image. They would get a gas card; but, need
to submit regular mileage and expense reports also (no roadtrips
to Amsterdam etc. at your expense).

Are you the best freakin' boss in the world or what? People
must be fighting to work for you MC5.

Best Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:
:cool2:

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Mccombie , in your posts you hit on a interesting side ....

what would they think of it ?

The benz is a conservitive design (outside the CLS), if i was a business owner , particlarly in retail i wouldnt like it , tells me these guys dont think out of the box , may not be able to create me a store that attracts attention on its own before my signs go up ....

Lexus says the same thing to me

I think you should choose something thats avant gaurd (sp?) , dareing styleing that stands out , in colors that stand out too , afterall these cars are working for you too ...The (modern) Audi does that , the cars they do are really something to look at , each line has a prupose but at the same time ha some thought put into it , the benz spends too much time trying to look like what it was , and lexus spends too much time trying to fit in ....

Then keeping your employees safe with the quattro system , traction controll is nice , but it isnt as nice as a great AWD system ...

Ensure the hot little secretary gets a bright yellow A4 cabrio and a one way ticket to tampa , we shall take high tea and discuss why brittish girls rule ...

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Just curious as to why you so obviously omitted Infiniti ??

1 - 20 of 45 Posts