Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, taking my 06 in for the leaky diff syndrome and wondered what are the other common issues besides the ones below for me to get the dealer to check out. (i live a long way from dealer so want a one shot service)

-very slight dash rattle
-squeaky driver seat when turning right
-loose gear shift knob
-nav has been updated

Love the car and have had no performance issues so i'm happy

thx for your help!

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Lux, 2011 Escalade EXT Prem
283 Posts
There is a technical service bulletin out for a tranny shudder when the tranny changes gears at low RPM. Shifting much smoother now!

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a technical service bulletin out for a tranny shudder when the tranny changes gears at low RPM. Shifting much smoother now!
i have the 2006 sts v6, and have been noticing the transmissin shiffint hard at low rpm...

is this a fix for that problem?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the 2006 sts v6, and have been noticing the transmissin shiffint hard at low rpm...

is this a fix for that problem?
i paid for a tune from Vector but i would bet the D3 tune also will help that issue. I dont notice the hard shift as much now. Mine is the V8 V model though.

·
Registered
2005 STS Luxury Performance
111 Posts
Does your trunk make a groaning noise when you open it? my 05' does, guess its something to do with the entire hinge assembly. Not sure if the 06's have this problem or not.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V
270 Posts
The trunk and hood both made a loud creaking and groaning noise when opened on our 2005. We thought that was kind of silly for a $60,000 car that caused heads to turn when opening the trunk at a hotel or parking lot. The dealer replaced the struts on both, so far they are quiet.

·
Registered
Cadillac
185 Posts
Two issues I'm having with my '06 STS that I find really annoying are:

1. Cabin wind noise anywhere from 40MPH on up on the highway.
(dealership tightened the doors to seal tighter but I really haven't noticed much improvement if any).

2. Front suspension rattle.
Dealership replaced lower control arms (they had to wait 2-weeks for the parts) & now the rattle is worse. Sounds like a loose metal bracket when going over bumps.

Anybody have any ideas for these issues?
This is getting real frustrating:mad:

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
I also noticed hard shifting on my 05 when new. Now at about 25K miles it's seems to have smoothed out or I just got used to it. It's a very powerful car and I think you can expect some hard shifts.

·
Registered
2005 STS
43 Posts
Does anyone have the details on the TSB regarding the tranny shudder? My '05 shifts hard at low RPM's. Dealer said nothing was wrong. Also had rear differential replaced a couple of months ago and it seems to be whining again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Two issues I'm having with my '06 STS that I find really annoying are:

1. Cabin wind noise anywhere from 40MPH on up on the highway.
(dealership tightened the doors to seal tighter but I really haven't noticed much improvement if any).

2. Front suspension rattle.
Dealership replaced lower control arms (they had to wait 2-weeks for the parts) & now the rattle is worse. Sounds like a loose metal bracket when going over bumps.

Anybody have any ideas for these issues?
This is getting real frustrating:mad:

i have the front suspension "rattle" though in my case i would characterize it as a squeak. it only occurs when going over a speed bump too fast...which would be over 15 mph or going into or out of a driveway with a severe angle change from the road. my dealer changed the control arms and it seemed to be better but not gone.

jackg
06sts6

·
Registered
Cadillac
185 Posts
Funny you should bring this up now.
I just got my STS back yesterday from another dealership regarding the front suspension rattle.
The service technician who rode with me seemed to think it was the right front caliper rattling. His diagonosis thus far seems to be right!
He replaced it yesterday & sofar I don't hear that dreaded rattle.
It was starting to drive me crazy.
Silence is golden!:)

·
Registered
2005 STS Luxury Performance
111 Posts
I haven't noticed any rattles as of yet but I've been driving a lifted 4x4 for the last 17 years so rattles kinda come with the territory.. I have noticed my rear diff has now started to leave a few drops of fluid on the garage floor. She's due for an oil change etc. so I'm been making a small list to address. But I still love driving this car, can't believe I haven't been pulled over yet... knock on wood...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Funny you should bring this up now.
I just got my STS back yesterday from another dealership regarding the front suspension rattle.
The service technician who rode with me seemed to think it was the right front caliper rattling. His diagonosis thus far seems to be right!
He replaced it yesterday & sofar I don't hear that dreaded rattle.
It was starting to drive me crazy.
Silence is golden!:)
How the heck could a caliper rattle? (rhetorical question) Two solid bolts hold those securely. If they were loose, a few turns of the wrench would secure them. ??? Seems that brakes would feel strange too.

·
Registered
Cadillac
185 Posts
Actually the brakes felt fine.
Just that annoying rattle.
I think he said a washer or something might have been missing.
The technician's first hunch when he heard the rattle was a loose caliper.
After two previous visits to another dealership w/over 1-month of loaner cars & new lower control arms, the problem (rattle) was worse.
I think it is imperative to find a dealership with a good service department & good mechanics (technicians) that can correctly diagnose problems like this.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6 SOLD!Now SAAB 9-3(me), CTS Wagon(mom), STS 3.6(dad)
457 Posts
anyone have more info on this hard shift in the tranny. ive felt it in my cts and sometimes in the sts as they have the same tranny. i need more info about this recall

·
Registered
309 Posts
somebody posted that there's a tsb associated with the hard shifts but didn't post the number of the tsb...if i can find it, i'll post the tsb. i had it happen yesterday on my 06 sts with the 6, ion a hunch i had, i simply shut her down and restarted...the shifts have been fine since. i spoke to the svc mgr and that was the first action he suggested. definitely something to keep an eye on.

jackg
06 sts6

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
57 Posts
keep the door rubber gaskets armor all'd they will swell slightly thus creating a tighter seal...used the same fix for a set of t-tops on one of my older camaros...worked like a charm...hope it helps...

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
How come in my 2008 STS the gas thank can be opened by anyone?

I had a VW and you could lock it so no one could tamper with it.

Same for the Camry you could only open the gas tank from inside the car.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts