Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comparing the '97 Seville to the '98

I finally got to size up my '97 next to my brother's '98 since buying my '97 Seville recently. Coincidently we both have the dark green color. Mine is called Polo Green. Not sure what his is called but its darker (more like a forest green) than the '97 Polo Green.

Wow! What a lot of design differences between '97 and '98. First off, the '97 must be about 2" lower and 3 or 4" longer making for a much sleeker profile.

The dash layout is surprisingly different. Both dashes are easy on the eyes but the '98 illuminates differently. Also the '98 has the cruise control features on a righthand stock vice the left hand stock on the '97.

His '98 has the wood steering wheel option and the wood shift lever. Very nice! His was the 239th model built in the newer body style (build date 9/97).

A few of the '98 interior features I didn't like were, all the plastic that surrounds the the inside base of the door opening, and the plastic front seatbelt posts. Too much plastic visible to the eye.

I did like the way the gauges light up when you start the car.

Power-wise, they both felt the same. I wonder if they both have the same rearend gear ratio.

There is definitely a bit more interior and body noise in the '98, plus with the sunroof open 100%, the air compression noise is unbearable at freeway speeds. You have to close the roof a couple of inches to eliminate it. On the '97 that is a non-existent problem no matter where the sunroof is set open. Must have to do with the stubbier profile of the windshield on the '98, or maybe the windshield wipers cause a lot of turbulence over the sunroof when its open.

The '98 is shorter overall. That's easy to see (aside from the fact its 2" taller) by the fact the wipers are exposed on the windshield rather than buried under the rear edge of the bonnet like you see on the pre-'98s.

Also, when you open the bonnet on the '98 the grille goes up with it (attached to it), on the '97 the grille remains stationary when opening the hood.

It could have been because of the position of the front seats but it seemed as though there was less overall interior room and less leg room for the rearseat passengers but more headroom in the '98.

The '98 had a slightly "tighter" feel to it while driving around but it also had 25,000 fewer miles on it as well.

One of the nice upgrades Cadillac did on the '98 was to automatically move the steering wheel up and out of the way after turning off the key. Oh, another nice touch, the ignition key goes into the dash rather than the steering column.

I understand the new XLR won't even have a key! Rather you'll carry a FOB that has a transmitter that only activiates your ignition. All you need do is have it in your pocket or purse, when you push the start button the car starts. If you don't have the FOB with you, nothing happens. Same goes for the door locks, when the transmitter gets within a short range of your vehicle the doors unlock automatically.

Overall I'm still sold on longer, lower styling of the pre-98 Sevilles. I only wish some of the features of the later models were incorporated into the '97 and earlier model STS's.

What other pluses and minus have you guys who have possibly owned both noticed between the old and newer Seville body styled models?

..rickko..

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I personally like the newer body style better, but that is just because it looks newer.....

As far as differences, their pretty close, but the 98 is going to have more quirks, since it is the first year of the new model.... The 97 should be much more stable, referring to little gnomes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
97 vs 98

I drive a 94 sts my boss has a 98 STS once ran an errand
for him he tossed me the keys , its a surprisingly nice car
however id never trade my 94 in on one , my car feels alot
more confident performance wise and just looks MEANER .
s for the gauges ive installed White L.E.D bulbs thay
now shine on par with the bosses, Electroluminescent
gauges so i cant see that many more things improved
except the real H.I.D headlight current models are available
with . to make a long Story short i prefer the 92-97 Northstar
sevilles . and STS

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I wouldnt take either..... RWD fleetwood!!!!

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
I've always liked the old body style more than the new. I chose to buy a 97 instead of a 98 becaus it had the old styling.

Reasons being for the 97 being better:

1. Dual Dual or Quad exhaust in the 97 vs the 98 which just has the oval shaped dual exhaust.

2. Looks. 97 is longer and sleeker and more stealth looking.

3. The 97 had the chrome door panels and the chrome grille. Grilles are of utmost importantance btw. The newer ones have body colored grilles.

4. The 97 has the straight back shifter and the 98 has the triptronic thing or whatever.

5. All the new model sevilles look the same unless they're modified and the older sevilles have the classic look.

However, I think the 98's have a better sound system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also prefer the styling of the earlier STS's. They do feel larger inside and, strangely, I think the styling has stood the test of time better.

If the current STS had the early model styling, I would buy one today. The 98-03, IMO, look more dated, and I am inclined to buy one of the newer models instead. (If I could get a really low mileage early model, I might consider it, but the odds of that are sufficiently long that I don't put the time into it.)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm with AirJigga25.... I think the 97 SLS is classic! The style, hood ornament and body molding with chrome. I'm happy with the Bose stereo though, cassette and 12 CD player/AM-FM, all the controls. I purposely hunted for this model. Funny how you never pay attention to something and all of a sudden you see something and know that's it!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, someones gotta defend the late models here, might as well be me. I actually dove for the 98+ models and got a 99. I like the stouter look and the streamlined interior more. The 97- years just.. looked a little off to me. I'm not sure how to explain it.

Also, some of the trim on the earlier models just did it out for me. The 99 though is perfect.. the right balance of trim where it needs to be.

Ok, I'll stop drooling over myself now. :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
The 92-97 STS had a painted grille..... Only the SLS got a chrome grille..... The SLS also had more exterior "chrome"..... If I had a seville, I would put an STS grille on it (i like that look better), but i like the extra chrome on the SLS......

·
Registered
'06 DTS Performance
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
elwesso said:
"..... If I had a seville, I would put an STS grille on it (i like that look better), but i like the extra chrome on the SLS......
All these nuances. :) I drove a Deville for a few years. One thing I loved was seeing the hood ornament. Then I bought a '93 STS and thought someone had customized it because the ornament wasn't on the hood! I missed it.

I guess if I modified my current STS I'd add a hood ornament back and remove the wreath and crest from the grille. I do like 'that look' about the SLSs.

I guess I just like seeing the wreath & crest on the hood from the drivers seat. :)

..rickko..

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I like the ornament too, it gives me some crosshairs to aim with when im parking......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts