Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 deville concourse I just bought it about 4 months ago. It was an Arizona car and is now in Montana. It is very slow to start in the mornings when the temp is cold 40 or less. At 19 this morning I really had to crank it a long time. Once it starts it runs fine. I changed the plugs and it did not help?

·
Registered
520 Posts
lroberts said:
I have a 94 deville concourse I just bought it about 4 months ago. It was an Arizona car and is now in Montana. It is very slow to start in the mornings when the temp is cold 40 or less. At 19 this morning I really had to crank it a long time. Once it starts it runs fine. I changed the plugs and it did not help?
If the Arizona owner was running a thick motor oil, because the thought it would break down slower in the hot climate, it can cause you all kinds of grief in the cold. I'd start by changing the oil and filter, go with 5w-30 if the manual says it's ok.
Other people will probably disagree, but from personal experience too thick of oil can cause starting problems in real cold temps.
Hope this helps, it' about as cheap a fix as you can get.

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Also, there are southern batteries and northern batteries. The southern batteries are designed not to die when exposed to prolonged heat, and the northern ones are designed with more cold cranking amps to provide easier starting in cold climates.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
35 Posts
Try the "coolant temp sensor" 8 bucks if the Oil wasn't an issue. Even if the thing doesn't spit out a code they do cause problems with starting during cold weather, there is an air charge temp senser but that one is rarely a problem and shouldn't cause a starting problem

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts