• other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
905 Posts
Remember that this noise only happens after sitting for days. I just cranked it over with the throttle floored to build oil pressure before starting and the rattle noise was virtually non existent. Joseph Upson had the same rattle and claims that 10w40 solved it for him. His theory was that poorly controlled actuators during low oil pressure startup (they unlock at 15 psi). It seems plausible to me.
You should speak with Mr. Upson. He fixed his worn timing chain and actuator problem by . . . wait for it . . . replacing them with new components. I can let my car sit for a week and it doesn't make that horrible rattle at startup.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,299 Posts
My car has been sitting for longer periods lately and seems noisier on cold starts for about 2 seconds until oil pressure builds. Does this sound normal? There are no codes set or pending and the engine runs great.
That sounds like normal cold start up noise for an overhead cam engine. The oil drains down to the sump leaving little in the upper part of the engine. As long as it only goes on for a second or two it will not present any timing chain or other issues. Make sure to use the correct oil and keep it up to level (those years usually use a lot of oil on the 3.6). Had this on my N* for years without issue. I use to briefly start the engine up before bed so that there was more oil up there which eliminated the brief chain rattle in the morning...not necessary to to do, but I didn't like the noise.

·
Registered
905 Posts
That sounds like normal cold start up noise for an overhead cam engine
No, it's not normal. It is a sign of problems. More wishful thinking. Chain tensioners have a ratchet mechanism to keep them snug, and the cam actuators have locking pins/solenoids to keep them in place until oil pressure comes up.

Do you think the engineers were so stupid they didn't understand the delay in oil pressure at cold start? Do you think these cars would have ever sold off the dealer lot sounding like this? Do you think the rest of CTS owners experience this racket at startup? Geez :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,299 Posts
No, it's not normal. It is a sign of problems. More wishful thinking. Chain tensioners have a ratchet mechanism to keep them snug, and the cam actuators have locking pins/solenoids to keep them in place until oil pressure comes up.

Do you think the engineers were so stupid they didn't understand the delay in oil pressure at cold start? Do you think these cars would have ever sold off the dealer lot sounding like this? Do you think the rest of CTS owners experience this racket at startup? Geez
It's normal for an overhead cam engine, do your research. Oh, and now I Know you are just snarky as in my first assessment. Plus a rude know it all after reading other posts of yours. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's normal for an overhead cam engine, do your research. Oh, and now I Know you are just snarky as in my first assessment. Plus a rude know it all after reading other posts of yours. :rolleyes:
It's a sign of worn timing components. This is basic stuff. Sounds like you've never repaired your engines as they age. I've owned several DOHC "V" engines, they're a favorite of mine. I'm also aware they don't run to 200K miles without maintenance.

I don't feel any obligation to entertain bad information on this forum, from anybody - including you. When you stop posting wrong info, I'll stop correcting you.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
FWIW, My non-VVT roller cam static lash adjuster DOHC Northstar car is now a garage queen and so sits for maybe 6 weeks at a time. Upon cold start (ambient "cold") it might tick a bit for 2 or 3 seconds as oil flow/pressure builds. No harm done.

2000+ roller valve actuator.jpg

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
No, you're the funny one! You post what sounds like a mechanical, internal engine problem and promptly proceed to dismiss any suggestions that involve spending money on car maintenance. I get it, nobody likes to spend money repairing their cars. But you bought an 11 year old car just like I did. Did you think it wouldn't require maintenance?

If the components in question were "still serviceable" they wouldn't be making noise.

How about this: Don't fix it, drive it till it fails. That's free, better?
IIRC you waited until you had a P0008 before replacing your timing chains. Why did you wait so long? Don't you believe in maintenance?

You should speak with Mr. Upson. He fixed his worn timing chain and actuator problem by . . . wait for it . . . replacing them with new components. I can let my car sit for a week and it doesn't make that horrible rattle at startup.
I was referring to the cold startup rattle that Mr. Upson experienced AFTER replacing his chains, etc.

Are you doing okay? You seem rather heavily invested in this minor issue affecting my car. I'm confident that I'll get a DTC long before it self destructs due to this noise. If I'm wrong, I'll let you know so that you can gloat. Thanks for your advice, it was worth every penny.

Reactions: Long

·
Registered
'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That sounds like normal cold start up noise for an overhead cam engine. The oil drains down to the sump leaving little in the upper part of the engine. As long as it only goes on for a second or two it will not present any timing chain or other issues. Make sure to use the correct oil and keep it up to level (those years usually use a lot of oil on the 3.6). Had this on my N* for years without issue. I use to briefly start the engine up before bed so that there was more oil up there which eliminated the brief chain rattle in the morning...not necessary to to do, but I didn't like the noise.
Thanks. There must be reason they call them "Rattletec" engines down under.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts