Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why cold air would ruin two Accel Supercoils in just a matter of days?

I'm just a little stumped on this because not two weeks ago here in Ohio, we were having our coldest weather of the season to the tune of 5 above zero during the night. During this cold spell, my Supercoil caused a no-start situation on my car. There was back-firing through the throttle body and the car just wouldn't start. I tried some starting fluid and the car fired, but the next time it happened, there was just nothing at all, causing me to replace the coil...

So I checked the coil (the coil was only 6 weeks old) and it turned out bad. I did a warranty exchange at Jegs for a new coil, took it back to the car and installed it, and she fired right up.

Now we are having another cold spell, but not as cold as the aforemetioned 5 degrees. It's more like 25-35 degrees out...I get into my car this afternoon to go to work (car sat overnight, at least 12 hours), and bickity-bam! The same issues. However though, the car did start, but the coil appears to be going bad on me again.

So the question is, what would cause this sort of power drain?

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
It's gotta be some kind of expansion/contraction issue I would think, messing with the internal windings? Maybe you should try a standard coil and see if there is a difference. It might just be a weakness in the Accel coils.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that is something that I've considered. But the thing is, I've had this brand of coil before in weather like this the last few years...Maybe I should try more of a closed element coil that requires that standard coil cover. Perhaps I'll try the Brute-Thunder coil, as it is a more powerful coil from Accel.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Another thought which make no difference but, then again, maybe it will;
My Mustang has a nice rubber cover that is fitted around the distributor, I wonder if you could wrap the coil with some none conductive, insulative material?

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Cold air should have no effect on a properly built coil.

If you got two bad coils in a row from the same store, it's probably a factory issue - i.e. the two you got were produced on the same line at the same time with the same flaw. If you must have the Accel coil, try one from a different store.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noahsdad, I'm probabaly going to go after the Brute-Thunder coil. It supplies more power if you will, but is still made by Accel. I've never had any issues with Accel up until now, so hopefully it's just a couple of bad apples.

If another should lose power, I'm going to have to test the entire ignition circuit for some sort of power draw or whatever. Perhaps some moisture is getting into the area causing this problem. I'm going to follow the issue very closely for now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts