Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Cts Coupe Performance AWD. Is the K&N CAI better than the stock set up? I'm seeing mixed reviews about it. People are saying the intake on my car is used in the Cts-V. A little help here please....

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
I have a 2012 Cts Coupe Performance AWD. Is the K&N CAI better than the stock set up? I'm seeing mixed reviews about it. People are saying the intake on my car is used in the Cts-V. A little help here please....
Other than being cleanable, they don't do too much for performance. Some say they don't filter as well as stock ones and may cause engine wear due to dust getting through the filter.

This prob what your hearing anyway.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
According to AIRAID their oiled filter even if dirty has better flow than new stock one. So, assuming new stock is just enough, with conical you should be always sure that air filter is not a bottleneck. But oiled filter can cause MAF sensor problems. I have synthamax, its performance is not so excellent as oiled but do not need to use special detergents and oil to clean it, you can just wash it using simple home use detergent. The sound of sucked air is different and more noticeable than stock. I do not believe in HP increase in CTS, which originally has semi cold intake.

·
Registered
2008 1SB DI 3.6L AWD CTS
88 Posts
I believe the CTS-V uses the same air box as the 3.6L.

If it flows well enough for those monsters, they should flow enough for our V6s.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe Performance
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you guys just suggest doing an exhaust system and skip doing the CAI? I'm looking at the borla or the magna flow....

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
If you go with any exhaust system, go with the Borla cat back , you will love the sound and no drone.

·
Registered
12 CTS Premium - 10 CTS Luxury - Sold= 04 CTS Luxury
311 Posts
I am also looking for the a CAI for a 2012 CTS and the only one i can find is the K&N. Its 2015 and there aren't any Air intakes for us? Its ridiculous. I would love the Air Raid or volant and
possibly the D3 .. Has anyone tried modifying them for their 2012+ CTS?

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
I am also looking for the a CAI for a 2012 CTS and the only one i can find is the K&N. Its 2015 and there aren't any Air intakes for us? Its ridiculous. I would love the Air Raid or volant and
possibly the D3 .. Has anyone tried modifying them for their 2012+ CTS?
Usually, the aftermarket fills a need left open by the OE manufacturer. In this case, there aren't many available because there isn't a need. The OE CAI is actually pretty good and there isn't a need to fill. If you want to add more intake noise, search for threads on earlier models where the OE CAI was modified.

If you want to spend $$, I'll give you my mailing address so you can feel better. They don't add performance, they just suck money out of your wallet. I'm surprised that they aren't available too, most of the time they would take your money without adding performance.

Just my 2cents!

Marv

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Cold air intakes can result in actual gains in power, although minimal, but not necessarily in the way most people are expecting them. The key that is usually missing in the mind of the average owner is that the only time power is increased is when the engine is at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). For those who don't know what that means, WOT is basically when the gas pedal is floored.

The increased roar you hear from the cold air intake or the performance air filter is not more power, its all marketing as noise sells. They could make these that are quiet but no one would buy them, they want to hear noise from the engine and thus will spend lots of money for it.

more air = more fuel = more power = more speed and no way can that equate to better mileage (mpg).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts