Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Purchase 2020 XT5 Sport AWD. Has anyone installed either the K&N or Airade Cold Intake systems? I'm leaning toward the Airade at the moment. Will be doing other engine mods including Jet Performance MAP, Stage 2 module and Throttle body. Very curious to hear about any real world experiences. Thx

·
Registered
2020 XT4, 70 Cougar conv, 2002 DTS
916 Posts
My 2020 XT4 has a factory Cadillac cold air intake, as did my 2002 DTS. You should check your XT5 for where the air comes in - you probably will find it already has a cold air intake that provides more air than the engine can use at WOT.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,711 Posts
I don't have your model, but have certainly read on here a good deal about the utility and effectiveness of aftermarket fresh air intakes on most all the newer Cadys. Just recommending, on a lark mind you, to set about finding any and all negative reviews and measured results of them before pulling the trigger on any change. Just on a lark mind you. See what comes of it.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,108 Posts
Most new vehicles route outdoor air routed from the front ahead of sources of heat into the intake filter. Take a close look at the XT5 making note of the air for the engine and compare to the aftermarket intake. Will the aftermarket system use under-hood air? If so, the air is probably a higher temperature than the OEM system.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,398 Posts
I would not bother. You will likely encounter a couple of different effects:
1. slightly throatier sound (the only plus)
2. no increase in horsepower or acceleration
3. worse gas mileage as you are moving more air through. It will be 1-3 mpg less.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
1,022 Posts
Most all modern cars use cold air intakes now. Aftermarket systems rarely improve upon that, and as pointed out, often make things worse. I remember when people went crazy over those cone-shaped K&N filters hanging off the side of the engine. They may have looked cool, but they were sucking in hot air from under the hood and on top of that, the oil that the filter was coated with would often end up on the MAF sensor and cause faults.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,
Great info. I've only had it a month now. I did check and there's a cold air duct coming from the bottom of the air box up to the grill so about as far away from the engine heat as possible. So I'm going to order a Dry AFE Part Number: 31-10297 air filter and cleanup some of the larger obstructions inside the air box and also 2 partitions around the MAP sensor. So $75 instead of $400, so many thx again.
Have also ordered the Jet Performance MAP sensor, Stage 2 module (requires 91 octane) and a new throttle body they just came out with. Had some success with Jet stuff on my '01 Eldo ETC, previously.
And at some point, I'm also going to go to dyno shop afterwards and get a tune.
Will let all know on the progress. Just want to have some fun with it. Certainly not expecting to leave any rubber any time soon!
Ciao.

·
Registered
96 FWB
2,711 Posts
At the risk of over-offering advice I'd offer (again just what I pick on here about advancing design of newer gen models), that improvements in optimizing performance and power yield regarding the areas you mentioned (ex: MAP, MAF, TB...) that you had benefited from using similar aftermarket pieces on your 20-year old Eldo may not translate into the same results and returns on your brand new ride.

Parting thought: I can't find hide nor hair of specs on particulate filtering micron size for that filter. A brand new car ain't one I'd stick anything in that's 1 micron larger than oem.

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,314 Posts
That's airflow, not filtering ability. To get more airflow, the media usually has to have larger holes (less restriction) so be aware more crap may get into the engine using it. Which is what FTSS is concerned about with his/her second paragraph.

Max

·
Registered
XT5
82 Posts
I am not sure what you want to accomplish but I beleive you will be disappointed in the results. The XT5 is not a drag racer and I doubt if you will find any recordable difference in acceleration. Fuel milage will probably not be effected. Beware about sales claims of such devices.

Your only gain is that you will be able to brag about it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You know, I've added all sorts of stage 1 and 2 aftermarket products to all sorts of vehicles, that were 'sports or muscle' cars, even some of my motorcycles, 4 wheelers, and boats. I've even tracked a few to confirm marked improvements. However, on a family mover? LOL.

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,798 Posts
My 2020 XT4 has a factory Cadillac cold air intake, as did my 2002 DTS. You should check your XT5 for where the air comes in - you probably will find it already has a cold air intake that provides more air than the engine can use at WOT.
Just because the intake tract will supply enough air doesn't mean that it doesn't pose a restriction. This setup allows enough air for the C6R to go WOT up to redline, but you can be damn sure the engine would make a lot more power if those ALMS- or FIA-mandated restrictors weren't in there!

I would not bother. You will likely encounter a couple of different effects:
1. slightly throatier sound (the only plus)
2. no increase in horsepower or acceleration
3. worse gas mileage as you are moving more air through. It will be 1-3 mpg less.
#2 and #3 contradict each other. How can the CAI be "moving more air through", but that same additional air won't change the performance of the engine? An engine is an air pump - if it can more more air through it, it'll make more power.

And why would "moving more air through" cause fuel mileage to go down? The ECM and MAF are still doing their respective jobs, so the engine is only going to burn the fuel it needs to make the car do what your right foot is asking it to do. Theoretically, if you replace a restrictive intake tract with a freer-flowing one, fuel mileage would actually improve because of the reduction in pumping losses.

Now, with all of that said, looking specifically at pics of the XT5's engine bay, the intake tract is quite short and looks fat. I don't imagine there's much of anything to be gained performance-wise by replacing the stock intake tract with something else. But for some folks, #1 is all they need to justify the cost.

You know, I've added all sorts of stage 1 and 2 aftermarket products to all sorts of vehicles, that were 'sports or muscle' cars, even some of my motorcycles, 4 wheelers, and boats. I've even tracked a few to confirm marked improvements. However, on a family mover? LOL.
Amazingly enough, not everyone feels the same way you do. LOL. Which may be why a couple of companies feel there's enough of a demand that they decided to produce an intake kit for these lowly "family movers".

·
Registered
XT5
82 Posts
Demand can be created by ads. Demand does not necessarily mean performance. It may mean that the ads were very convincing.

Amazingly enough, not everyone feels the same way you do. LOL. Which may be why a couple of companies feel there's enough of a demand that they decided to produce an intake kit for these lowly "family movers".

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, no doubt there are folks out there who are willing to drop money to put a CAI on a lawn mower. I didn't say not to buy one, but if speed is his thing, he shouldn't have bought a slug in the first place.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,398 Posts
You can move more air and not get more horsepower, because the ECM would have to be remapped to make proper use of it. There are other factors which also restrict the amount of horsepower e.g. exhaust restrictions. In the end, simply adding CAI does not give more torque at the wheels.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
1,016 Posts
Some thing to ponder..
If changing the shape of the Intake system created more HP then why wouldnd GM do it from the beginning? They want to hide HP from you? There are thousands of engineering hours that go into the design of those parts by people who know a thing or two about induction and airflow.
Also, your attempt to "clean up" the factory intake by removing "obstructions" and Partitions around the MAF sensor could cause all sorts of problems. Specifically those partitions are there so the MAF sensor can measure all the air entering the engine. If those are removed then then intake air that the sensor cannot measure can make it into the engine *. It would be like you just created a huge vaccume leak.

* this is a simplification of the factors involved but describes the end result.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just get the Air filter part#33-5056. I just ordered one on Amazon on a limited time offer of $36. I'm a firm believer in K&N and have put their products on these past vehicles that all noticeably benefited from them.
89 Camaro
95 Tahoe
01 Lincoln LS
98 Explorer
05 F150
06 Corvette C6
10 Navigator
11 Explorer
15 Honda CRV
15 BMW 335i
15 Taurus
18 Escape
21 Escape
21 XT5

Most memorable was the improvement in the power and increased range on a 98 Explorer that I had 32in tires on that could not get out of it's own way from a dead stop. Massive improvement on the bottom end take off and extended the range by about 50miles to the tank. I held onto that vehicle for 10yrs and added 100,000 miles to the 140,k miles that were on it when I bought it and used the same filter all the way through.

Next most impressed was on the Ford Escapes for work which I drive 80k miles every 16months and the company buys me a new one. I hate the range of them which on the 2018 was 292 Miles at 80 mph across the state to the tank before the k&n and 376 Miles at 80mph going across the state. I came up with these figures as it is a common trip for me a couple times every month and after reviewing my mileage logs and expense reports. I buy these K&N filters simply because I need maximum range for the remote areas I travel for work and I hate standing outside pumping gas in sub zero weather.

Generally in SUV's I've noticed the most improvement in take off performance in traffic and increased fuel economy while in cars. Overall SUV's I notice the biggest pro in their use. I notice more improvement in the power band in cars but not as much in the fuel economy. I don't know if the thought is right but my thinking is that SUV's have little to be desired in aerodynamics that any improvement you can do to help the engine efficiency is a win.

As far as the cold air intake kit? I personally would not spend the extra money for the over $200 for the cold air kit if your just looking for better fuel economy. The filter alone is a bargain for the improvement I am expecting out of mine.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All,
So after a few months of running a bunch of engine mods on my 2020 XT5 Sport with factory tow package, here's what I did and some seat of the pants observations.
Installed 3 Jet Performance products:
  • Throttle body
  • Stage 2 ECM (requires 91 octane)
  • MAP sensor
  • aFe Power dry air filter #31-10297. Don't try using a 'wet' filter as it'll mess up the MAP sensor and throw an engine lite
  • Water wetter coolant additive

In 2 wheel drive nothing really noticeable or any change in mpg. But in 'sport' mode much more aggressive off the line and punching it and as might be expected, lower mpg. About 20 mpg. A helluva lot more fun.

Jet has sales throughout the yr but right now is their 35% sale. I had bought everything at 30% off. Buying their Xcelerator gas pedal controller to get rid of that annoying throttle lag. Watch a U tube video and it seems to work great.

And finally stop/start eliminator from Amazon for $25. Best money you'll ever spend. It connects to the harness behind the hood latch. You can't see harness as its behind the cowl and has a small push pin on the cowl that you just pinch and push to get at the harness. Here's the Amazon link.

Amazon.com: Auto Start Stop Eliminator/Delete/Disable for Chevrolet Equinox (2019-2021)/Malibu (2019-2021)/Cruze (2019-2021) and for Cadillac XT4 (2018-2021)/XT5 (2019-2021)/XT6 (2018-2021) : Automotive

And if anyone was curious, no engine lites.

Also, I wasn't fond of the brake pedal feel so I changed the pads to Brembo's. Better feel, still not perfect but an improvement.

Looking forward to the Xcelerator mod. So that'll be it for engine mods. I thought about the cold air intake but at this point I don't think it would make a diff.

I've also done a bunch of cosmetic upgrades. Changed all the exterior gray chrome trim to black and exhaust outlets also, alla the 2021 Onyx package.
Real sheepskin seat covers, weather tech sill guards, door handle cup guards.
Fire extinguisher. Here's the Amazon link.
Cold Fire All Season 20oz - Ultimate Fire Protection (4 Pack) - - Amazon.com

A bunch of storage holders that are incredibly useful. Here are the Amazon links.
Amazon.com: DEFTEN Car Central Center Console Organizer Insert Tray Non-Slip Flocking Storage Box Holder for Cadillac XT6 XT5 2017-2020(Flocking Style Eliminate Object Collision Noise : Automotive

Amazon.com: DEFTEN 2pcs Front Side Door Armrest Storage Box Holder Fit for Cadillac XT5 2017-2020 : Automotive

Amazon.com: DEFTEN Car Central Center Console Substratum Organizer Storage Tray Fit for Cadillac XT5 2016-2020/Cadillac XT6 2020(Flocking Style) : Automotive

Screen protector - Amazon.com: Navigation Screen Protector Cadillac Compatible XT5 XT6 2020-2021, Aillestuo 9H Premium Tempered Glass/Precision Cut/Scratch Resistant/No Bubbles : Electronics

So that's about it.
Good luck to anyone trying out some of these.
Roy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts