Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Has anyone put a CAI in their CTS 2.0T? If so, what company did you go with? Perhaps I'm not looking well enough, but I looked at K&N and found nothing. I used them for my past couple of vehicles, but as usual, I'm having a fun time finding anything for my caddy.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks ??

·
Registered
2014 CTS Performance 2.0T
4 Posts
Hey all. Has anyone put a CAI in their CTS 2.0T? If so, what company did you go with? Perhaps I'm not looking well enough, but I looked at K&N and found nothing. I used them for my past couple of vehicles, but as usual, I'm having a fun time finding anything for my caddy.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks ??
so I just became a Cadillac owner myself. This was one of the first things I looked for was a CAI, for the sound and throttle response, not so much the “power” increase. I’ve spent about 3-4 days searching the entirety of the interwebs, I have found none that are specifically for the CTS 2.0t... but I did notice the Camaro 2.0T has the EXACT same factory air box, so... maybe the camaro’s CAI would work. I don’t mind testing it out if anyone is interested... just give me a month or so and I’ll post my results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so I just became a Cadillac owner myself. This was one of the first things I looked for was a CAI, for the sound and throttle response, not so much the “power” increase. I’ve spent about 3-4 days searching the entirety of the interwebs, I have found none that are specifically for the CTS 2.0t... but I did notice the Camaro 2.0T has the EXACT same factory air box, so... maybe the camaro’s CAI would work. I don’t mind testing it out if anyone is interested... just give me a month or so and I’ll post my results.
Hey so I just bought a 16 CTS 2.0 luxury AWD and I’m looking for a cai and I only see the regular air filters when plugging in my car description
Any luck on yours?

·
Registered
2014 CTS Performance 2.0T
4 Posts
Hey so I just bought a 16 CTS 2.0 luxury AWD and I’m looking for a cai and I only see the regular air filters when plugging in my car description
Any luck on yours?
After further digging into the interwebs it turns out the CTS and ATS have a factory “cold air inlet” built into the grill. Any aftermarket product would create a warm air intake due to it being opened to the engine bay. There are some folks on YouTube that opened up the air passage and have liked the results. In reality the CAI didn’t offer performance, just performance sound. I went with the K&n drop in filter. Within the next year I’m planning on a mishimoto intercooler, oil catch cans, down pipe, and exhaust. After that looking at tuning. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
41 Posts
Hey there, I have the exact same car, 2014 CTS 2.0t Performance with the polished aluminum 19" wheels.

My plans are when my warranty is up:

- Trifecta tune (stock) : To see how I like it without any mods and just the tune

If I want more:

• ZZP Big Wheel turbo upgrade
  • K&N Drop in filter
  • Mishimoto Catch Cans
  • Trifecta tune upgrade to support the turbo

Based on the results, the next step would be:

• E85 Flex-fuel upgrade
  • Forged Pistons (preventative maintenance)
  • Forged Rods (preventative maintenance)
  • Turbo Blanket
  • Possible catted downpipe (<- I really do not think it is necessary, but at upped boost/e85 might as well)

I would not change the exhaust as the CTS has active sound management in the car, in other words it basically manages the expected exhaust tone in the car. The V-Sport version of our cars has the same and when you go with the Corsa exhaust upgrade that system needs to be reprogrammed. If not it is way off and actually can contribute noise to the interior of the car.

I was told that the system is based on PCM feedback, so if you get a tune and leave the exhaust alone it still works properly.

Personally, if I am bothered by the exhaust (ie, too quiet), I could always put a cutout in the pipe just before the muffler and design an electronic system that would allow it to open the cutout at WOT in sport mode. I would end up putting in a delay to close it so it stays open while the revs are up in sport mode, as well as adding in a "open full" override that would keep it open when I want. Probably the best of both worlds if I did that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just put in a k&n drop in filter, put in NGK Ruthenium plugs, larger turbo, and now looking for a tuner. Either Diablo or HP. I'm relatively new to performance upgrading, since my last cars were not worthy of such upgrades. CAI ended up not being worth it, or a bigger pain in the butt than what is worth. Even finding a decent axel back exhaust upgrade, without it sounding like a ricey BMW, is proving really tough being it's a 4cyl.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
41 Posts
Honestly, contact Trifecta for an Elite tune. I have the exact same modifications and the car runs awesome.

I did the Big Wheel turbo, the K&N drop in and the Elite tune. I have the Mishimoto catch cans, but I will drive the car in winter, so the catch cans are not such a good idea here because of that. For warm-climate only driving it would be a great upgrade.

One thing you don't want is a performance exhaust. The CTS has active sound control in Tour and Winter modes. In sport mode it is turned off and you can hear the exhaust. If you change the exhaust the tuning for the Tour and Winter modes will be all screwed up.

That is why the only performance exhaust for the CTS V-Sport includes a retune for the new exhaust system to retain that feature.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, contact Trifecta for an Elite tune. I have the exact same modifications and the car runs awesome.

I did the Big Wheel turbo, the K&N drop in and the Elite tune. I have the Mishimoto catch cans, but I will drive the car in winter, so the catch cans are not such a good idea here because of that. For warm-climate only driving it would be a great upgrade.

One thing you don't want is a performance exhaust. The CTS has active sound control in Tour and Winter modes. In sport mode it is turned off and you can hear the exhaust. If you change the exhaust the tuning for the Tour and Winter modes will be all screwed up.

That is why the only performance exhaust for the CTS V-Sport includes a retune for the new exhaust system to retain that feature.
Thanks, I'll check them out for the tune.

I do live in a harsh winter climate area, but not for much longer. Going south early 2022. Just honestly don't want the 2.0t sound, not expecting a v8 sound, as that's unreasonable with what I have. But also don't want a tinny, ricer, farty sound. Thinking just hollowing out the muffler. Just don't know anyone that's attempted that. Or if that will even be a good idea.

Again sorry if I sound naive, just my first real car to do decent upgrades with, and finding out my caddy isn't easy to do that with lol body mods are a breeze

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
776 Posts
don't want a tinny, ricer, farty sound.
With any intake/exhaust mods, that's what you're going to get.

I put a ZZP CAI on my 2.0 ATS and only drove it 20-25 miles.
It was so annoying, I took it off the next day. The only reason I didn't do it immediately is because it was too hot.

IMHO, if it's not a rumbling V-8, I don't want to hear it.

Just for the record, I bought and sold the kit on the classifieds here. So did the next guy. I think that kit was in the hands of 4 different owners over a year or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts