Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to this, so bear with me. I have a 2000 Deville, and was looking to install a cold air intake, maybe an exhaust system as well. I was curious if anyone knew if either were worth it in the first place, and the best brand and model. The closest I found for CAI is a Volant, but the product description says '01-'04 models only. Is there some subtle difference I don't know about, because it seems the '00-'05 are identical. As for the exhaust, I was looking for something with a good sound to it, but not ridiculously loud at idle or cruising. And if there are any other great simple mods that can be done, both performance and cosmetically. Thanks for anyone's help ahead of time

-Alex

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
2000 base Deville. 275 hp Northstar with a 3.11 final drive. Go up in the black bar ^^^ and read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Go down to Discussions: Engines: Northstar performance and wade through as much as you can stand. Also, in Discussions: Technical Tips.

The factory installed CAI already flows more air than the engine can use at WOT redline, and fooling with it will give you nothing but a lighter wallet. You might want to change to a WIX panel air filter. K&N is overpriced and does exactly nothing.

As far as exhaust, the mufflers themselves are NOT restrictive in any way: it's the rest of the piping, especially from the cat back. Take a hard look at www.corsaperformance.com and, if you like what you see/hear, look in www.AutoPartsWarehouse.com Piece of cake in the Base auto hobby shop.

:welcome: Welcome Aboard !!!! (You're an hour east of me. retired Navy.)

·
Registered
2000 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information, it was very helpful, I did not know that it had a factory installed CAI. And I actually had my eye on a Corsa exhaust system, priced around 1100, thank you for the confirmation that they are a good brand. I had never heard of WIX before, I will have to look into that.

And thank you for the welcome, and congrats on retirement, I bet it was a long time coming, I plan on doing the same.

·
Registered
2000 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, what makes the WIX filters so much better? I had been contemplating changing the stock one, wasn't sure of the best, guess its a good thing I didn't go with K&N yet

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
Nothing makes the WIX products "so much better" other than consistent product quality. FRAM, DELCO, PartsMaster, Purolator and several other panel filter manufacturers/branders make very fine filters. These air filters, in our models, generally have 60 pleats. The WIX filters have 80 pleats. More surface area = less flow resistance. Their oil filters hold to that line: plenty of filter media, resulting in less cold oil bypass and less flow resistance than a filter having less media.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
Thank you very much for the information, it was very helpful, I did not know that it had a factory installed CAI. And I actually had my eye on a Corsa exhaust system, priced around 1100, thank you for the confirmation that they are a good brand. I had never heard of WIX before, I will have to look into that.

And thank you for the welcome, and congrats on retirement, I bet it was a long time coming, I plan on doing the same.
:welcome:
Look closely at your intake. Remove the air filter and see where the air is actually coming from and you'll see what Sub is talking about. Also notice that the intake air flow is across the PCM. That is done to cool it. After market so called CAI systems bypass that feature. :tisk:

·
Registered
2000 Deville
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Since joining this forum, I have been constantly learning more about my car, thank you very much for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts