Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can someone do a step by step how to read codes and how to clear codes and what they mean,In Devilles 1991-1993. I don’t think there is a good explanation on this correct me if I’m wrong please.

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,178 Posts
On this model it’s easy to pull codes. With the key in the “on” position hold “off” and “warmer” on the climate control for about 10 seconds, the codes will be displayed on the fuel data center.

I forgot the sequence of buttons for clearing codes.

you should be able to get the codes and the definition from a link on this website.

not a good idea to just clear the codes with out diagnosing and fixing the problems.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,298 Posts
Have you studied the sticky thread "How to pull codes" ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Have you studied the sticky thread "How to pull codes" ?
Yes but i feel it’s confusing and it doesn’t tell about how to do in a 91 DeVille. Or am I reading wrong thread

This is confusing (Remember, when in the diagnostic mode the LOW FAN button becomes NO and the HIGH FAN button becomes YES to the prompts. To clear the codes answer NO until you see CLEAR CODES? Then answer YES.)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,298 Posts
When you enter the diagnostics mode the HVAC control buttons assume different functions.

If you're not familiar with diagnostics and their technique, perhaps buy a decent hand-held scanner that plugs into the OBD1 (pre-1996) diagnostics port.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,256 Posts
Yes but i feel it’s confusing and it doesn’t tell about how to do in a 91 DeVille. Or am I reading wrong thread

This is confusing (Remember, when in the diagnostic mode the LOW FAN button becomes NO and the HIGH FAN button becomes YES to the prompts. To clear the codes answer NO until you see CLEAR CODES? Then answer YES.)
even on my OBD2 Deville the first couple of times was confusing. You'll get used to it. Be advised, however, that clearing codes does exactly that--clears the codes, but it doesn't fix anything. That part is up to you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't you still just do it like all other GM OBD I systems with "code key" - aka paper clip- in the ALDL connector and count check engine light flashes for 2 digit codes?? Or is it another terrible example of how GM just had to do Cadillac different and most always NOT better...Sorry if I come off as a basher but I am a GM guy by heart but I call it like I see it and Cadillac has some ridiculous things over the years that just made living with their cars a headache.
I have often chosen Pontiacs, Buicks, and Olds OVER Cadillacs just because of this.
I guess they were trying to make up for the debacle in the late 70s-early 80s of putting chevy and olds engines "GM Corporate" into Cadillacs and upsetting a lot of people who 100% expected a Cadillac engine in their Cadillac!
Lengthy list of crap they added or came up with or did that was just completely unnecessary even for marketing purposes and most all of it cost the owners lots of time, money, aggravation.

Maybe I'll start a thread and we can list it all and discuss it.
I add the entire creation of the northstar engine to the list. ....but I digress.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,256 Posts
Yes but what does the havc buttons do why can’t someone just do a simple guide
I'm not sure how much more clear the first two paragraphs can be in the "how to pull codes" sticky. That is as simple as it is gonna be. Or, do as Sub suggested in post #5 and buy a hand held scanner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure how much more clear the first two paragraphs can be in the "how to pull codes" sticky. That is as simple as it is gonna be. Or, do as Sub suggested in post #5 and buy a hand held scanner.

Sorry but non off this comes up in my car (Remember, when in the diagnostic mode the LOW FAN button becomes NO and the HIGH FAN button becomes YES to the prompts. To clear the codes answer NO until you see CLEAR CODES? Then answer YES.) if I press lo fan when I’m in diagnostic mode it doesn’t come up clear codes. perhaps in another car it does but not in a 91 Deville

1 - 10 of 10 Posts