Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 02 DeVille with 144500 miles a few weeks ago that had the check engine light on. It runs great but has codes , I have P0101, P0420, P0741 showing. Hoping that it may be a simple fix cause I love this car. I'm new to here and have been looking around trying to find my way! There sure is alot of info here!

Ken

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Codes are meaningless without definitions.

I think P0101 is a MAF code.

P0420 is catalyst inefficiency I believe. You'll need a new car if so. Walker or Eastern are good replacements.

P0741, depending on where you live, is either completely ignorable, or a very expensive repair. If you need to pass inspection, the fix is a new catalytic converter and some internal transmission seals. And a new TCC solenoid while its out. Many, many, MANY threads on this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read somewhere that it could be the O2 downline sensor showing a bad cat and which could also throw the P0101 code. It runs great, wouldnt a bad cat effect running?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Welcome :wavehi:

A bad CAT will not affect the running.

I can't swear to it, but I think a bad down stream O2 sensor (Bank 1 sensor 2) MIGHT cause a P420 code........at least I hope so. I just replaced the CAT on my daughters '04 SLS because of a P420 code. Drove it 2000 miles to PDX without a hiccup or code, and now she is getting the P0420 again and and occasional P0141. I am praying that P0141 is causing P0420.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleared all the codes and put on over 500 miles, no codes showing as of yet. Running fin for the most part, do notice a surging at idle of about 200 rams and only when warm. Possible vacuumed leak?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
I cleared all the codes and put on over 500 miles, no codes showing as of yet. Running fin for the most part, do notice a surging at idle of about 200 rams and only when warm. Possible vacuumed leak?
==========================
start by cleaning the TB - Throttle Body -
and IAC Idle Air Control solenoid -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
P 0741 says "TCC stuck off" and that is an emissions system - fail. That specific code usually points to a set of seals in the torque converter shaft hub and in the transmission output shaft sleeve - an internal oil leak. transmission and converter removal required.

If accompanied by P 1860, that's the operating solenoid itself, buried inside the transmission. 8 hours of microsurgery (Tech Tips) or a GOOD transmission shop.

·
19,250 Posts
Only code that keeps showing up is the P 0741 and I'm due for my NYS Inspection, will it pass with this code showing up?
===============================
will it pass with this code showing up?
NO -
long story short - it's caused by a worn seal deep in the trans -

around $2000 to $2500 to fix -

if you want more information - with pics of the worn seal - go here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-engines-system-technical-discussion/149834-information-p0741-p1860-1998-a.html

and before you ask - or try -
there is absolutely NOTHING that you can dump into the trans -
that will have ANY positive result -

and NO - there is absolutely no way to "fool" the system -
EXCEPT -
drive around keeping your speed at or below 40mph -
long enough to get the computer into the "READY" state -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So is it a good idea to put 2800 into a tranny repair on an 02 deville with 150k on it? Body is great, everything seems good,

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
Depends on what the car is worth to you. I, and others here, would not blink twice if the transmission needed major service. Many others would scrap the car.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
my 03 DeVille base throws the P 0741 code about once a month. I clear it and keep going. Fortunately, I don't have emissions testing in our county and i don't care that the fault may cost me 2 mpg or so. Sub is correct--if the tranny needed major service, I'd do it in a heartbeat and keep smiling every time I turn the key.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
Eventually, it will become daily. Just a fair warning. I can now clear the code without taking my eyes off the road.
haven't tried doing it while driving. does that mean the OBD scanner can be operated with the car running and in gear? I've got the sequence memorized.

·
19,250 Posts
haven't tried doing it while driving. does that mean the OBD scanner can be operated with the car running and in gear? I've got the sequence memorized.
=========================
and when you are done -
hit the ENG/MET button - twice -
to get out of diagnostic mode -

1 - 19 of 19 Posts