Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got a code exp113 and said speed was limited to 90 mph this morning I started the car and it said theft problem car may not start and code exp 34. two nights ago the carpet got wet behind the passenger seat on the floorboard. I see no reason the sun roof is not damp or stained and there appears to be no wet carpet on either side by the hump or the door. just in the middle of the floorboard. I disconnected the positive battery cable to see if I could clear the code this morning but it still says code exp 34 and theft warning. Please help me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is a 96 seville sts. It even has shut down the gas gage and the trunk and fuel lid will not open with the buttons inside. but the trunk will open with the key. I tried cleaning the key using another key and spraying wd 40 on the ignition assy where the key goes in I guess I am a desperate man. I tried to access the codes with the up button on the passenger heat switch and the off button and other ways but could not pull up the codes maybe it is keeping me from doing that too. It is my wifes car and so far it has started and ran but died a couple of times but it started right back up. Seems like a computer issue. it is shutting itself down.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
I'd check the battery and cables first. Try swapping the battery with a known good one and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a battery or cable corrosion problem to me.

Don't some of the newer model cadillacs have the battery behind the back seat? Your 96 I assume has the battery in the conventional spot in the engine bay.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
Seville moved the battery to under the rear seat in '99 for sure, maybe earlier.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try the battery cables I had corrosion on them once before there are two or 3 pieces that have to mate together with metal discs surrounded with plastic. a real weard set-up, I had heater problems once before and thought it may be related to battery cables. Battery is not new but has plenty of charge I will take cables apart again tomorrow and clean them but I think they probably will be fine as I cleaned them about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
When you take the cables off, take a good look at the positive battery terminal. Check to see if it is leaking. The weight of the positive cables puts some stress on the terminals of side mount batteries.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I yanked off the terminals and pulled the battery out this morning, the negative terminal needed some attention but the positive was just like I cleaned it last time nice shiny copper and the steel has no oxidation either. I will take the battery down today as it is 3 years old and have it checked. I put it back in to test and still getting the #34 theft system problem car may not start message. I cannot check codes unless I am doing something wrong and the fuel gage does not work,the trunk or fuel door will not open from the inside and when I get the code message the lights up and down center that light up drive,park and so forth flash on and off as well. Am I checking codes properly it does not have a digital dash and i am pushing the off button for air conditioning and the up button on passenger heat? it is a 96 seville sts.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Condition resolved: I want to thank you all for your suggestions and help, I was at my wits end. The battery cables are clean enough to eat off them now. I did take the battery out and to the battery store. It was a 7 year warrenty costco battery. (was in the car when I bought it) It was 3 years old and started the car fine and has never failed us yet. The Mechanic put a load on the battery and it dropped off quick. He said it definately was a bad battery so I bought a new one. I was gone about two hours and installed it. Same thing theft code still there. A friend told me to leave the battery off for 24 hours as a last resort before taking to a shop. I hooked it up after disconnected overnight and thank GOD it is working again. I hope this thread will help others, this forum has been very helpful to me in the last couple of years. Thank You. I'm sure I will be back with another crisis down the road and I cannot seem to get rid of the car when it is running right it is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's great. Glad to hear it worked out. So, new battery and then disconnected from battery for a good while did the trick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know we have already solved but I have a 2000 sts and i had body work done and after the work was done (battery unhooked so lights would not drain) i got all kinds of theft codes. i than thought to replace the better and nothing since.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts