Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Checked my codes today after a recent problem with overheating in car, but got these codes:

p0101-Mass air flow sensor performance
p0121-TP sensor circuit insufficient activity
p0231-fuel pump feedback circuit low voltage
p0503-vehicle speed censor circuit intermittent
p1599-stall/near stall
p1654-cruise control inhibit output circuit

ACM
b1341-air mix door two movement fault
b1348-low refrigerant
b1347 (all codes were history, except this one being current)-very low refrigerant

IRC
b1771-cassette tape slow
u1255 (see below)

RFA
u1000 also same as one above, the gist of it i got was control module doesnt recieve message it expected, but doesnt know which module didnt send the message (something along those lines)

ive looked through the internet, most searches brought me here so i thought i would post. The current one i discovered was related to low refrigerant (which i know bc the car tells me everytime i turn it on) but the thing with it is, i got the car in april, not a problem with air conditioning. Refrigerant ran out couple weeks ago, replaced it. lasted a day at most, and the same message was coming back up again. Used the whole can of refrigerant i bought, and since then i have not attempted to do it again bc i dont want to waste another can, and just getting that refrigerant into the system was a bitch, i had to clear the codes just to get the air conditioner to kick on to put in the refrigerant

Goes along with the codes, but the engine does stall sometimes, not as frequently as before, has happened once on the freeway though but it was a simple place in neutral and restart deal, sometimes it almost stalls, dips down to 300 200 rpm, and will go crazy and shoot up to about 1300 and rapidly down to 600 and so on and so forth, to combat this i place the car in neutral and try to keep the revs at a constant rate, bc if the car is in drive when this happens it starts to lurch

Also, driving in it, occasionally (about every third week) the car will feel like im braking when im not, service engine soon light comes on, and i push down the gas to combat it, but the edal doesnt seem connected and the revs lower and lower (usually at freeway speed, i drive a lot to work and am on freeways a lot). I read this could be a torque converter problem and to combat it tap the break to disengage the torque converter (i dont remember who told this, but i have not had a chance yet to try this) and to stop the deceleration, it seems like it is decelerating with the engine revs decreasing

One last problem i didnt see pop up, my keyless entry does not work, my remote is only four months old, but the lokc, unlock, and trunk buttons do not work. Oddly enough, the gas button still works so im assuming it is a problem with the car

Passenger door window motor does not work, been an immense source of frustration for me and my father the past few weeks, buying, returning, and buying and trying five motors from various sources, all have the same problem, only move up. Check the wires and everything is fine according to my dad (he knows this stuff and has the tools) but we just said f it last night and put back my door panel bc i was tired of not having it on

despite all of this, i love this car, and although it has its problems, it is fine a majority of the time, hasnt failed me yet, starts up when i ask her, and is extremely comfortable

Also to note, the engine in my car is not the original engine for a 99 deville, it is instead a 2003 Northstar V8, replaced at 90000 miles (car has 140000) right now. this was done before i recieved car, so i do not know if it true, never saw paperwork, but its what ive been told, originial engine blew headgasket

Thank you in advance for anyone here to take up the time and help me out, im very car illiterate and would like some simple terms about what is going on in my car so i can hopefully try to mend it with my father, or take it somewhere and not get swindled due to being uninformed

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,442 Posts
Post the code definitions along with the codes. It makes it much easier for people to help you as no one has them memorized.

An '03 motor in a '98? :hmm: Didn't think that was doable.

·
Registered
99 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i edited the post with the chicken scratch i wrote down for the codes, and im not standing by it being a transplanted engine, thats just what i told. doesnt really matter bc it did not factor in decision to acquire the car, got it in a straight up trade for my gas hog of a truck. is there any way i can verify or find out exactly what is under the hood, whether it in fact be a original motor, or a transplanted one?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,442 Posts
A '99 has plug wires. 2000+ engines don't. That won't tell you if it is the original factory engine, but it WILL tell you if it is a 2000+ engine or not.

Is it still overheating?

·
Registered
99 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
still overheating, filled up coolant yesterday and got air out of the system, drove it today to 7 11, got some gas, came back, temp was a little on the high side (225). twenty minutes later drove a block away to pick up my little brother, when i got home, temp was at 260

·
Registered
99 Deville
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya thats what my dad says, and i dont know what the problem is for that, any suggestions on what to look at/try/figure out?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,442 Posts
Get a block test kit. You can buy one from Napa for $50 or borrow one from Autozone (but you have to purchase the fluid). Run the test after an overheat episode, but DO NOT add coolant before doing it. It tests for exhaust gases in the cooling system. I suspect a bad head gasket.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,694 Posts
Here's a video of the block test from one of our CF members... iametarq. If you decide to run the test, you are actually testing for exhaust gases in the airspace above the coolant in the expansion tank. So you don't want to disturb that airspace by adding coolant... you will want to do the test after the car has overheated

1 - 9 of 9 Posts