Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unable to access the codes. I have tried all the methods listed in the "sticky" with no success.I am wondering if there is supposed to be a cover/connector on the ALDL scanner port,it seems as though I remember one on our '94 SLS.Any help would be great.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,711 Posts
The '01 SLS has the analog gauges and warning light icons, with fluorescent readout bar. 3 DIC control buttons just right of the panel. It's all done from the INFO Up/Down, INFO RESET, and ON/OFF buttons.

No cover on the OBD port just below and right of the steering column/dash panel.

The sticky is correct. Follow the procedure for OBD-II and your year group of car.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!! I really appreciate the link. I was able to get a grip on things -there is about thirty history codes stored. I am thinking the codes were erased with a scanner to get through the NY state emission inspection because all but one ABS code is an history code. So thanks again Guys, especially JimD, for the help.

·
Administrator
70,711 Posts
Thank you!! I really appreciate the link. I was able to get a grip on things -there is about thirty history codes stored. I am thinking the codes were erased with a scanner to get through the NY state emission inspection because all but one ABS code is an history code. So thanks again Guys, especially JimD, for the help.
Simply erasing codes will not get the car through emissions testing - matter of fact, erasing codes within about a week or 10 days of a test will fail the car ! The emissions systems and sensors all set "ready" flags in the PCM and it takes a certain number of successful start-run cycles to accomplish this. Clear codes and go to the test station and their set gets a "Not ready" code and you fail.

If a fault occurs it sets a code as Current. If the fault continues it may set a DIC warning message also. But, if a fault does not occur again within 3 successful start-run cycles it goes to History, where it remains for 30, 40, 50, or 100 start-run cycles when, if it does not occur again, it self-clears. Many codes come and go like clouds: the sensing systems are very touchy, so you may see a History code for something that was a fleeting hiccup.

Unless you get a steady trouble code and DIC warning, let the codes stay - they'll self clear. Start pulling codes all the time and you'll go mad. Open the program, write them all down in a log once a month if you want some insight into how your car "thinks". Get a warning, then fix the fault.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
You can erase the current codes without a scanner but existing problems will return almost immediately. Codes that caused the "Service Engine Soon" (problems that will cause emission failure) often have to pass an internal diagnostic before the light will go out even if the code that caused it is in "history".

Codes that begin with "U" are communication errors and it is not at all uncommon to find some in history in a perfectly functioning car.

The normal braking system can perform perfectly if the ABS has problems and I doubt that lack of ABS would cause a license inspection failure unless the inspector notices something wrong with the normal brake system.

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually I wasn't trying to erase anything. NY state emissions inspection allows one "NOT READY" self test, and there was an EVAP in that condition. My Nemesys scanner was freezing up and not allowing me to see what was going on.With JimD's help, I found twenty-five history codes and one current. This makes me believe that the codes were cleared, and a partial drive cycle was done to get it through the emission part of the inspection.

·
Administrator
70,711 Posts
You guys are lucky - dear ol' Maryland has one standard: Pass/Fail. One hiccup and you're screwed. You can get a year waiver if you have a receipt from a certified repair shop for $400+ in emissions work and the car still won't pass.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
actually I wasn't trying to erase anything. NY state emissions inspection allows one "NOT READY" self test, and there was an EVAP in that condition. My Nemesys scanner was freezing up and not allowing me to see what was going on.With JimD's help, I found twenty-five history codes and one current. This makes me believe that the codes were cleared, and a partial drive cycle was done to get it through the emission part of the inspection.
The emissions part of the inspection seems to be mandated by the Federal EPA on a county by county basis determined by air quality standard measurements. In GA for example, only the 13 counties surrounding the Atlanta metro-mess plus 2 or 3 more around Savannah require emissions testing to renew tags. But then GA is basically an agricultural state.

The drive cycle recommendations can be found on various state DMV web sites and I have found documents with similar wording from NY and IL. I have cleared all the codes on my car (which will turn off the readiness flags) and taken my scan tool and my laptop along for the ride through the drive cycle. One by one the readiness flags turn green and in less than 30 minutes my car is ready to be tested (and it will PASS).

PM your email address to me and I will send the document from NY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts