Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got this code from my 94 deville after getting a service engine soon light and the link to the trouble codes page gave me this,
P085 (E085) ........................................... Idle Throttle Angle Too High. What does this mean exactly the car runs fine and doesn't idle rough or anyting. Is this a major problem or something I should have checked out? Also I tried resetting the service engine light by pressing the "off" and "fan high" buttons and it diddn't work did i do this wrong? If so how do I reset the codes/check engine light? thanks

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
It means you need to clean the throttle body.....

Open the throttle blades and look down them. Spray the bores and backside of the throttle plate with carb cleaner and scrub the deposits away with an old tooth brush. The deposits are blocking the airflow around the perimeter of the blade affecting the idle speed control gain rates. When done, disconnect the negative battery cable for 60 seconds to reset the idle learn values to the clean throttle body default values.

While you are in there...see the two tubes sticking up at you from the floor of the intake just below the throttle blades...?? Those are the EGR tubes and they are not supposed to be fulll of carbon. Rod them out all the way thru to the passage below with a piece of stiff wire to get rid of the most of the carbon and coke deposits.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts