Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Catera and 14 previous Cadillacs, Mercedes E320 Cabrio
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little additional info for the unknowing Catera owner that may be a newbee. I saw this code posted in another thread and when my check engine light came on the other day this code came up along with one for evap leak. The evap code was for my gas cap but this code puzzled me. I've had issues with the range sensor/neutral safety switch previously. I cleaned the contacts but noticed some contacts showed some wear. So I ordered a new switch but have been lazy about replacing it. Then when this code popped up and did some searching, there is much information out there about internal failure and the transmission needing a total rebuild. Now I've had all the usual strange shifting, losing a gear, and limp mode issues happen from time to time. Most of the time the transmission would shift fine. This in my mind ruled out internal wear/failure issues. So I thought it was time to change the range sensor, I had nothing to loose. A road test after the switch replacement revealed the problem of losing a gear was now happening more frequently. When I put the new switch in I was haphazard about the switch adjustment and thought my sight was enough for the alignment of the notches. So back under the car for a more accurate alignment! Using a small drill bit did the trick and now the car shifts perfectly. No more code or lost gear issues. The moral of this tale is that don't discount the importance of what this range sensor does. It will cause starting problems, gear loss, poor shifting, limp mode and lots of anxiety for a Catera owner. How many have fallen prey to many $$$ spent because of this simple fix?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts