Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am getting this code with check engine lite it says catalyst low efficiency not sure what that means any does some one know please help thanks

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
Mine is throwing the same code but only once and awhile but I can feel the car not having the same pick up and go as when I bought it. I am still debating what brand and where to take it to install, read a lot of mix info on here. Anyway like Ranger said it is time to pony up!

David

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,798 Posts
BEFORE you lay out long green for cat work, go up to the Cadillac Technical Archive ^^^ in the black bar and read it all - especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine.......". This procedure will clean out a sluggish exhaust system and allow the O2 sensors to perform their efficiency comparisons.

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could bad gas cause a this code i had just filled the car up and 5 min later started getting a stutter and flashing engine light then the next day the light stayed on but no stutter till today it wants to die out i have to keep it going thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
Possible I suppose, but not likely. Run the tank down low and refill it. See what happens.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
I have intermittent P0420 in my Deville and it comes only when I drive easy. Normally I drive hard so I never see it. The recent day that I got the code & SES was last week, when it snowed and everyone had to drive very carefully. Do WOT runs. Worth a try.

·
Registered
2010 Cadillac Premium AWD CTS
710 Posts
I have intermittent P0420 in my Deville and it comes only when I drive easy. Normally I drive hard so I never see it. The recent day that I got the code & SES was last week, when it snowed and everyone had to drive very carefully. Do WOT runs. Worth a try.
This is the exact same thing that has been ocurring with mine. If I cruise my Caddy it throws the code but when I give it some good ole lead foot it doesn't. that is why I have not pull the trigger on a Cat, yet. But as soon as all this snow clears I will buy one.

David

·
Registered
2001 DTS
27 Posts
BEFORE you lay out long green for cat work, go up to the Cadillac Technical Archive ^^^ in the black bar and read it all - especially the article "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine.......". This procedure will clean out a sluggish exhaust system and allow the O2 sensors to perform their efficiency comparisons.
Sub could not have said it better...I had the same problem on my 2001 DTS after doing the plenum boot and IT gaskets. I did the WOT and BINGO! No more SES No more P0420 code! Passed emissions here in Ohio today after work!

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the caddy now has gotten worse getting a p0300 and blinking ses misfire the cat was also glowing red so hopefully no internal engine damage if not i will have to get a cat can any one recommend an after market i was looking at a direct fit walker brand and direct fit eastern from rock auto

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
If you have a glowing red CAT you are dumping raw fuel into the exhaust system. Have you checked for a leaky FPR? I suspect the CAT is shot and it still may need to be replaced, but no sense in destroying a new one. If you do find a leaky FPR, just for the hell of it, don't replace the CAT until after you replace the FPR and see what happens.

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok unbolted the cat so it is now open and still have the bad miss i checked the fpr and it is wet around the edge so it is leaking. now what is causing my p0300?the saga continues any more ideas thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,954 Posts
Replace the FPR and see if that cures the misfire. Don't forget to bleed off the fuel pressure before removing the FPR unless you want a gasoline shower.

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
new fpr and still have p0300 now i think cat was not the problem now what is the next step? bad coil, plug i believe the fuel is getting there just not getting spark this is just a guess not positive but because the cat was glowing most likely from raw fuel not from being clogged like i originally thought.

what problem could a bad fpr cause foul out plugs?any more ideas i will ghange the fuel filter next and look at plugs. can the coil packs be tested?

thanks

·
Registered
2000 base deville 275 hp
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok put new plugs and still have p0300 i will get it on a scanner tues and see what cylinders are missing and go from there i think my ignition coil bank has gone bad some how just guessing seems like more than 1 cylinder is missing the 4 of the old plugs looked all black and nasty and 4 looked what i would say is normal very little to no build up they only have 20,000 miles on them the 4 dirty ones all came off the front head

does any one know the firing order for 2000 deville 4.6? i will search it on the site and see what i find

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Deville, 1998 Cadillac Deville
3 Posts
Hello, I have been having the same problem with my 1998 Deville and was wondering if someone could tell me what FPR stand for and where to find it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts