Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question I have replaced my EGR valve because I was getting the following code:
P0401 - Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient (current)

The Service soon light came back on does anyone know what else the code could be refering to?

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
If I read your post right, either you or someone else ran your codes and you came up with code P0401. Now after fixing the problem you now have the Service light come back on. First you have to run your codes again and see if its the same one or something else. I would have to look it up but with some codes, they block others from appearing until the other one is fixed, ie your p401 code. By replacing the EGR, you may not have reamed out the tube it sits on and more carbon could be blocking up your new one, that is only a guess but the codes should be run first, its a bummer I know when you think something is fixed and it surprises you. Let us know what you find

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
What year car is this? Northstar EGR rarely needs to be replaceed, only cleaned. 4.9 needs the EGR tubes in the TB rodded out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sorry..I thought I had this posted already. It's a 1997 Cadillac Deville Concours. I told the mechanic to Clean out the TB and he said he did, but Now i'm not so sure. Either way The code came back up, but here is the all the codes that I just got from the car:

PCM P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Flow Insufficient (current)
RSS C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND (current)
PZM B0533 - Fuel Sensor Open/Shorted To B+ (History)

These are the only ones I'm getting on the car.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
A new EGR valve should not be throwing a P0401 code. It would have been much cheaper to clean it than replace it, but since it was replaced, I'd take it back and let him correct the problem that you where charged for correcting.

C1738 is in reference to the ELC (Electronic Level Control) compressor. It is probably inoperative or at least not exhausting. Meaning that (pardon the expression) once your rear end is pumped up due to a load in your trunk, it is not coming back down once the load is removed.

B0533 is history so disregard it unless it returns. Probably fuel gauge related.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I talked to the mechanic and well He says that may not be the problem. :bigroll: He then tells me that he would have to check out the system to see what is wrong with it. Anyway Ranger how does one rod out the tubes in the TB. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
You don't. That was in reference to the 4.9. No such thing on the Northstar. Just clean the TB bore and thropttle plate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
86,973 Posts
Sorry for the late response. I was up in Northern Wisc. for a few days. Yes, that is exactly what you need to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts