Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 2.0T ATS, suddenly the car shifted erratic, check engine light came on and a notice that said I can only go 35mph engine power reduced. Just made it home and put the meter on and came up with this code. PVC or MAP sensor? Someting I can replace myself? Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,669 Posts
O2 is indicating excessive lean condition, when it happens so quickly I would put a cracked PVC line or other leak post MAF as being a high probability. Basically anything that causes it to run excessively lean (MAF, intake leak) or a faulty 02 sensor will trigger this code. Take a good look at the PVC lines because a 2013 is definitely in the age range to see cracks and splits occurring.

The reduced power mode helps to protect the engine from extensive damage which can occur quickly with unusually high combustion chamber temperature caused by an excessively lean burn.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cadillac dealer says it's the fuel pump, quite an expensive repair on the 2.0T. I did replace the intake valve positioning sensor and checked for leaks before I brought it to the dealer. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,669 Posts
Are they saying it is from the low pressure pump (tan pump) or the high pressure pump that is engine mounted and cam driven which pressurizes the common rail for the injectors? There is a big price difference between the two and the high pressure rail sensor itself can fail causing a false high pressure reading and thus rail pressure that is too low resulting in incorrect injection delivery. If the low pressure pump isn't functioning properly, then the high pressure pump can't function properly either because it depends upon proper volume and pressure on its feed side. If there is a significant difference between commanded and actual fuel rail pressure, it should set an additional code. Did they provide the difference between commanded and actual common rail pressure?

High pressure pumps can fail (this is the expensive one) but there are a lot of things that can cause a P0171 and a failed fuel pump should set additional codes so I hope they are basing the diagnosis on more fingdings than just the code you reported.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They said High Pressure Pump. I didn't mention earlier that I did have a couple of additional codes after I replaced the intake valve but at that point I just dropped it off at the dealer. They said $1,100 to replace...ouch! First repair on the car in 4 years of ownership.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Aftermarket will be cheaper than the dealer since it is out of warranty so keep that in mind for the future. And given the current economic conditions, those smaller private shops are going to really need the business to survive. Make sure that they also test the low pressure pump for proper flow and pressure because the high pressure pump will fail more quickly when it is trying to cover for a "lazy" feed pump.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,409 Posts
Any ideas on how to find a good aftermarket shop? Coming from previous VW/Audi/BMW's there was a large supply of mechanics that were trained at dealerships or got specific training who went out on their own and specialized with certain brands. It was simple to ask owners of the same brand what they thought about the independent shops specializing in a certain brand. I have never met a later model Cadillac owner who could recommend a local independent.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
David,
The beauty of Cadillac compared to a lot of the European brands is most of the car is shared with the more pedestrian members of the line so any shop that is good with late model GM will have no issues handling your ATS. The platform, powertrain, and most of the electronics are shared with other GM brands and even the pathetic CUE system is closely related to other GM infotainment systems which were aimed more at utility over glitz and thus are far more useful and less troublesome.

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,409 Posts
Same problem, any idea on how to find a good independent mechanic that works on Cadillac/Chevy products? With my BMW I go to a shop that is set up to deal with BMW electronics, all special tools, training and there is a BMW community that can quickly direct me to recommended shops in my area. The general mechanics for general cars seem to have a lot of them that have no idea about electronic issues or how to fix them, they likely work on every brand made, weren't trained by GM and many of the special problems that my car has they have no idea about. Then if you ask Cadillac owners who they take their cars to virtually all say the dealer. My dealer is ok but he has a lot of costs in his business that I con't want to pay for (facilities, overhead, loaners, car washes). People say these are free but the customer is paying the bill.

If you asked my independent BMW mechanic for the known issues on my 2006 3.2 inline 6 he would immediately have a reply and know what needs to be done. If you went to random mechanic that works on every car made the conversation would be really short as he has general knowledge about many things very little specific knowledge about GM products.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts