Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last month or so I keep getting this code E40, power steering pressure switch. It seems to come on for a min or 2 then go off when I slow down to stop at a light or something.

The funny thing is that it always comes on when I punch the gas at full throttle. I don't go full throttle much but only ocassionally to "blow it out," to keep the carbon build up under control.

My mechanic at a local Cadillac repair shop says that it is probably something else that is causing that code to come up and that the pressude switch is not known to go out much.

Can someone give me some suggestions.

Also the car was throwing a map sensor code which I have recently replaced.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
I Had This Same Concern With My '88 Allante. Very Intermittant . I Removed The Switch At The Steering Rack. Verified The Wiring Connector Was Secure And Pins In Connector Were Not Bent. Depressed The Spring Loaded Pin Inside The Switch And Sprayed Carb Cleaner In It, Assuming A Sticking Pin. Reinstalled The Sensor And Applied Di-electric Grease To The Electrical Connector. Now After 8 Months, No Further Code. Some Others Have Said That They Flushed The Steering Fluid To Purge Any Particles From The Fluid That Might Be Causing A Sticking Pressure Switch. I Didn't Do That And Mine Has Been Fine. Good Luck, Bill. Maybe Under Full Throttle This Connector Is Being Pulled From The Switch? Seems Remote But Check The Wiring Routing To The Switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts