Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am new here. Just bought a 2002 Deville 4.6L engine with 70,000 on it this past Friday. Drove it from Dallas to Ralls, Texas. About 185 miles out from Dallas the Service Engine Soon light came on. I completed the trip without any problems. Car ran beautiful all the way home. No problems. I pulled the code today - and it was IPM BO 429. Anyone know what this is? Hope it isn't costly.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance did not set the SES light. If the light came on, it is a PCM code (emissions related) that set it. B0429 is common and not a big deal if any at all. Do a search for it. I have had it and have explained it before.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ranger. I took it in to the dealership yesterday. The SES did not come back on and is still off. They told me unless the light is on there is no need to diagnose it. So, we left it like that for the time being and the light is still off. Thanks to all those who help us newcomers here. Your a blessing.

·
Super Moderator
86,976 Posts
Pull the codes per the "sticky" in the Tech Tips section. What ever set the SES light is still in there as a historical code. At least you'll know what caused it and know what to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ranger,

OK I went through the entire CODE drill. Here's what turned up:

Current CODE: BO429
HISTORY: IRC U1016
(this relates to: 1. Loss of Class 2 Communitcations with VCM
2. Loss of communications with PCM.)

Not sure what the HISTORY ones are all about? Any comments.

There were NO OTHER codes at all - just the current one and the HISTORY one.

·
Super Moderator
86,976 Posts
History means that it has not been detected in the last 3 ignition cycles. "U" codes can be set by pulling battery power. Ignore it unless it comes back.

Did you find the B0429 in a search for an explanation?

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance. You indicated above that it was no big deal but I will have the dealership look at it.

·
Super Moderator
86,976 Posts
It is not big deal. Use the search button above to do a search for an explanation on it and a better understanding.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2000 dts,1994 deville
4 Posts
I have a 2000 Cadillac DTS. I read a IPM BO 429 and 249 today. My problem is the Air Vent Actuator that control the Blend Door. I hear a slushing noise lately and the air on the drivers side don't act normal. I have to crank up the temperture to 90 degrees to get the compartment warm before I can adjust it down. The actuator cost approximately $55 and I am dreading the task of installing it. I have researched some instructions in what procedure is needed for installing the Actuator.

·
Super Moderator
86,976 Posts
A "slushing (sloshing) sound" indicates air in the system. Better figure that out before spending any time or money on an actuator.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
Water noise may also be from condensation or rainwater trapped in the blower box due to a clogged HVAC condensate drain.

Car up on a lift, under the firewall lower edge, toward the passenger side - a hard to find drain tube, usually hidden behind some insulation. Use a piece of weedwhacker or shop air to carefully clear the clog.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts