Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
06 &04 Escalade, 00 DeVille
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a 2000 DeVille with this code and i see lots of others have it too, i had the same problem with my older DeVille too, i contacted Cadillac Corporation directly and they have no service bulletins and or recalls for this issue and they had said they never new it was a issue. I think all of us with this problem should all start to email and or call to start to complain about this and then maybe they will realize this is a real issue that they need to correct.
web site e-mail, http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/emailus/emailus_owners.jsp
by Phone:
Customer Assistance
The Customer Assistance Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have the following information available:
  • Your name, address, and home and daytime telephone numbers
  • Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your registration
  • Dealership name and location
  • Vehicle delivery date and current mileage
  • Nature of your concern
Inside the U.S.: 1-800-333-4CAD
Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777
International Inquiries: 1-905-644-4112

741 Code is a Torque Converter
Clutch issue (or Torque Clutch
Converter).
Thanks to all DeVille owners
Pete, NJ

·
Registered
96 sedan deville
55 Posts
i have a 96 deville with 202,000 on it.i started getting the dreaded pco-741 about 60,000 miles ago i guess.they say its a 20.00 sensor buried 2000.00 deep in the tranny.the only time i ever get it now is in stop and start traffic.if im on the highway it never sets that code.i have just learned to live with it.i will fill out that form though.like you said if enough people start giving them hell about it maybe one day they will realize this is an issue that needs to be fixed.probably cant do anything to mine because of the mileage but i have seen people here on this forum with the same problem with newer caddies and less miles but too out of warranty unfortunately.

:worship:eek:h hail king caddie

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Recalls are issued based on 2 criteria, safety or emmisions compliance and have no expiration date. A malfunctioning transmission would not be an issue under either heading. In your opinion, how long should a manufacturer warranty a car, or in this case, a transmission? Did you have the foresight to purchase an extended service contract to deal with these eventual car repairs? Cars have been breaking down since they were invented and their owners have been paying to repair them because they own them and the responsibilty rests with the owner! Its that simple.

·
Registered
06 &04 Escalade, 00 DeVille
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, Carnut.

This has been an ongoing problem that i believe they need to act on, yes i do know we need to do basic services to our cars, but this is my second Deville thith this code that started under 50,000mls and as you can check post that this is a problem among most DeVille owners.

my 2cents

Pete, NJ

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
Recalls are issued based on 2 criteria, safety or emmisions compliance and have no expiration date. A malfunctioning transmission would not be an issue under either heading. In your opinion, how long should a manufacturer warranty a car, or in this case, a transmission? Did you have the foresight to purchase an extended service contract to deal with these eventual car repairs? Cars have been breaking down since they were invented and their owners have been paying to repair them because they own them and the responsibilty rests with the owner! Its that simple.

Recalls are issued based on 2 criteria, safety or emmisions compliance and have no expiration date. A malfunctioning transmission would not be an issue under either heading

I disagree!

My 741 code prevents me from passing my inspection in NC due to emission and I have to spend $2000.00 to fix it or I will have my license plate revoked 90 days after my inspection sticker runs out.

If Caddy made this engine light stay on due to emission standards ( an out of sequence TCC makes the engine RPM's turn about 200-300 revoltions more)then they need to fix it under recall.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Recalls are issued based on 2 criteria, safety or emmisions compliance and have no expiration date. A malfunctioning transmission would not be an issue under either heading

I disagree!

My 741 code prevents me from passing my inspection in NC due to emission and I have to spend $2000.00 to fix it or I will have my license plate revoked 90 days after my inspection sticker runs out.

If Caddy made this engine light stay on due to emission standards ( an out of sequence TCC makes the engine RPM's turn about 200-300 revoltions more)then they need to fix it under recall.
Guess I cant argue with that!

·
2007 DTS
2007 DTS, 1991 Eldorado(retired), 1999 Deville (retired)
371 Posts
My 99 Deville is in the same boat as yours. We also have inspections here in Illinois. When it is time for me to have the inspection done I clear the codes and then drive only in 3rd gear for a couple of hundred miles and that resets the computer and stops the 741 from showing up. I take it and get it tested with no problem passing. I have done this for six years. Once the test is passed I just drive like normal with that damn 741 code showing up. I check my codes every tank full to make sure it is just 741!

·
Registered
'00 Seville SLS
42 Posts
My 99 Deville is in the same boat as yours. We also have inspections here in Illinois. When it is time for me to have the inspection done I clear the codes and then drive only in 3rd gear for a couple of hundred miles and that resets the computer and stops the 741 from showing up. I take it and get it tested with no problem passing. I have done this for six years. Once the test is passed I just drive like normal with that damn 741 code showing up. I check my codes every tank full to make sure it is just 741!
Thank you.

I posted in the other 0741 thread below and took your advice and passed the NC emission test.

I was told that NC will grant you a waiver if the cost of the repair is 1/2 of the value of the car. Fortunately, I didn't need to do that.

Anyway, I should be good for another year.

·
Registered
DeVille DHS
5 Posts
I'm going to try the wavier application with the Great State of Texas next week. Thanks for mentioning it. I had no idea it was an option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts