Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm getting a Hendrix Clutch/pressure plate. I've decided to go ceramic on one side, and organic on the other. (to not be obnoxiously grabby)
Thomas says it's of the LS7 type. I'm also getting a billet flywheel (same as Spec) which is 16 lbs. to go with it.

So here's some questions for the experts.......

1) Will I have to get a LS7 slave or can I use a LS6 slave?
I'm under the assumption that the LS7 slave will not need a spacer, but the LS6 will? What part numbers am I looking at here?

2) If spacer is needed, does anyone have the dimensions of one? (so I can get one machined) I need diameter, input shaft hole size, width, etc.
Or am I forced to buy the Katech one?
Also, does it go on the inside by the throwout bearing?

3) Has anyone heard of these guys? I wonder if they would just sell the slave by itself?
http://www.corvettedoctor.com/CTSV_Z06_Clutch.html

4) Where's the best place to buy the slave?

5) I've heard that a "notch" is needed, but some have said it's not....does it depend on which slave you use?

6) Does LAPD have the best remote bleeder?

7) Is it mandatory to change out the slave at all? Or is it just good insurance to change out since you are in there?

Sorry for all the questions.....I like to learn as much as I can before diving into installs. I figured with all the brilliant minds on here, we could eventually get some answers, and maybe bring up things that weren't thought of already. Thanks in advance!! :worship:

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts

·
Registered
escalade
571 Posts
Hmmm, I just went with the Monster Clutch stage 2.5. http://www.monsterclutches.com/level25clutch.html

SNL Performance installed everything with no problems. I was expecting a lot of issues.

Good luck.
Hope this doesntcome off thewrong way,i have helped several customers wth recent issues with the level 2s and 3s ,one disc came apart and took out,slave pp,.etcIf you notice any thing funny at all please get it checked!Also i would add,as a paying sponcer do we not have protecton from non sponcers websitesbe posted or dos that not apply?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Other vendors on this forum are expected not to post in a thread that you make. If someone is talking about your clutch and another member posts up alternatives however, they're not breaking any rules at all.

The Mods are here to keep everything clean, friendly and on topic- we aren't the thought police and we aren't here to prevent people from discussing alternative products.

·
Registered
escalade
571 Posts
Other vendors on this forum are expected not to post in a thread that you make. If someone is talking about your clutch and another member posts up alternatives however, they're not breaking any rules at all.

The Mods are here to keep everything clean, friendly and on topic- we aren't the thought police and we aren't here to prevent people from discussing alternative products.
Discusing yes,posting a link to THERE web site NO,That is not allowed on any other site that im on,thats why we pay to be a sponcer.Just trying to get a feel for what is allowed,this site is run different and for me the better!(well not in this case lol)Thanks for answering so quickly.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Hope this doesntcome off thewrong way,i have helped several customers wth recent issues with the level 2s and 3s ,one disc came apart and took out,slave pp,.etcIf you notice any thing funny at all please get it checked!Also i would add,as a paying sponcer do we not have protecton from non sponcers websitesbe posted or dos that not apply?
Discusing yes,posting a link to THERE web site NO,That is not allowed on any other site that im on,thats why we pay to be a sponcer.Just trying to get a feel for what is allowed,this site is run different and for me the better!(well not in this case lol)Thanks for answering so quickly.
It's ok, settle down. Others can talk about your competition.

By the way, are your clutches still renamed "birds of pray" clutches?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
Lolly if you are going from a LS6 setup to a LS7 equivalent, then you must change you slave as well... or get a spacer... (it's good insurance to change is anyways.... even if you didn't have to)

Luke has the LS7 slave. I have the part # and price if you want it..

I also heard a notch is needed... then I didn't. My understanding is that if you are going LS7 type slave, clutch, and flywheel then no cutting is needed... but just in case be prepared to take 1/2" off one side or the other !!!! have that sawzall ready baby!!

I'm not sure on the bleeder... but whatever you end up finding and using, I'll be totally ready to shamelessly copy cat you. There are a bunch of guys on here with them so I'm sure they will chime in.... hopefully

I'd say take lots of pics... but you are the one person I don't need to say that to in these boards... good luck!

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lolly if you are going from a LS6 setup to a LS7 equivalent, then you must change you slave as well... or get a spacer... (it's good insurance to change is anyways.... even if you didn't have to)

Luke has the LS7 slave. I have the part # and price if you want it..
^Do want^

I also heard a notch is needed... then I didn't. My understanding is that if you are going LS7 type slave, clutch, and flywheel then no cutting is needed... but just in case be prepared to take 1/2" off one side or the other !!!! have that sawzall ready baby!!
I wonder if there is one way to route it so that no notch is needed, like more room on one side of the trans/firewall/whatever....:hmm:

I'm not sure on the bleeder... but whatever you end up finding and using, I'll be totally ready to shamelessly copy cat you. There are a bunch of guys on here with them so I'm sure they will chime in.... hopefully

I'd say take lots of pics... but you are the one person I don't need to say that to in these boards... good luck!
Lol, no that's totally cool....I'd rather everyone possible chime in, so we can all benefit from the "best" setup.

I guess I'll get the LAPD, since nobody else has any suggestions :(

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I guess I'll get the LAPD, since nobody else has any suggestions :(
Good call. As long as you have a competent shop doing the install you should be good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
A DIY clutch job is a big undertaking. Make sure you have access to a lift, multiple transmission stands (to support both the driveshaft and trans) and plenty of time.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A DIY clutch job is a big undertaking. Make sure you have access to a lift, multiple transmission stands (to support both the driveshaft and trans) and plenty of time.
Trust me, I'm loathing doing it. I'm planning on doing it in my driveway (cuz me no have no lift) hope my jackstands go high enough!!

EPP quoted me $350 for the install.....hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
I did mine on jackstands and I can tell you, you want a lift lol But it is doable. You will need somebody to help get the trans back in. I had my dad with a jack under the tail and I held up the front and stabbed it in. That Tremec is heavy when your on your back. I pulled by myself. Knees under the tail and just slid it back and caught it. Not advisable if you aren't somewhat stong lol

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Trust me, I'm loathing doing it. I'm planning on doing it in my driveway (cuz me no have no lift) hope my jackstands go high enough!!

EPP quoted me $350 for the install.....hmmmmmmm
DO IT!!!!!! $350 is a great price! I have not done the clutch install but from what i've heard from others that do aftermarket clutches, there are many obstacles that can pop up. Notching this, cutting that...ect

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did mine on jackstands and I can tell you, you want a lift lol But it is doable. You will need somebody to help get the trans back in. I had my dad with a jack under the tail and I held up the front and stabbed it in. That Tremec is heavy when your on your back. I pulled by myself. Knees under the tail and just slid it back and caught it. Not advisable if you aren't somewhat stong lol
Lol, I'm sure I can handle the weight no problem. I've modded everything else to this freakin car in the driveway, so why stop now? :lol:
Are there at least dowel pins to line it up? I'd hate to leave weight on just the input shaft.

You didn't have one of those special X brackets (specially made for trans) on your jack did you? I wouldn't think you'd need one with a manual trans. (no pan to crush)

Also, torque setting for the flywheel/bell housing/whatever else I'm missing would be excellent. This is the one time I'll be using my torque wrench! (ok 2nd.....headers was the first time) ha

·
Registered
cts-v
2,741 Posts
I think for 350 i would have someone else do it for me. but normally trans jobs arent hard just time consuming. and it has to be eons easier then the fwd cramped trans i had to work on with my nissan.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
I wonder if there is one way to route it so that no notch is needed, like more room on one side of the trans/firewall/whatever....:hmm:
Luke mentioned to me that you'll have to swap and use your existing bleeder, so remember to swap those as well.... I think you pry would have figured that out as the LS7 one I think would end up buried "IN" the bellhousing.

I think a notch is needed... ... I don't think you can do much "routing" as this is your Dilemma. (The spacing of the "V" )

LS1/LS6 Slave

LS7 Slave

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luke mentioned to me that you'll have to swap and use your existing bleeder, so remember to swap those as well.... I think you pry would have figured that out as the LS7 one I think would end up buried "IN" the bellhousing.
It looks just like a little set screw holding the bleeder in then, right?

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Spacer needed? (ID, OD) I know the length is .950. I could have one machined and save myself the $100 or however much they are.

Where's the guys that have done the LS7 clutch swap at??

1 - 20 of 94 Posts