Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my car on Sat. afternoon from its diagnosis at the dealership. I notice that whenever the car sits for a few hours in the cold now, the clutch sticks in for a couple seconds then SLOWLY pops out again. I have owned a few manual tranny cars in my day, including my other current MB C320 6-spd. I'm thinking it could be from the cold weather but it only started doing it after I got my car back from service on Saturday. The weather here has been bad for a few weeks now and I never noticed the issue. It loosens up to normal eventually but I have to let it run for about 20 mins before I feel comfortable driving it. Is this clutch issue the same with your guys cars in the colder areas? Anybody think this is normal, cuz I don't think it is!?

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
This happens to me too. Our CTS's have a hydraulic clutch so when it gets cold, the fluid gets viscous causing the pedal to become harder to push and also slower on clutch engagement. The automatic tranny's also have some shift quality problems on cold start because of the hydraulics becoming too viscous.

I'm not sure if this is normal but I've learned to just live with it until the engine heat warms the hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait for 20 mins everytime I want to start that damn car and let it heat up, thats BS! It wastes my time and gas and pollutes the environment for no reason. They should have put a pricier fluid in to fix the problem... Do these cars have a block heater that anyone knows of? I was looking for a cord to plug my car in but cant find one...

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I don't idle for it to warm up. I just granny shift with the clutch until the car is warmed up and ready to handle my full wrath. :lildevil:

·
Registered
52 Posts
This happens to C5 clutches all the time. Usually with them, the slave cylinder is in need of replacing or it needs bleeding. You shouldn't have to wait till your car warms up to ba able to drive it. Looks like GM can't design a hydraulic clutch that will actually work.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
I have the 6-speed in the Detroit area since last fall, and never noticed this issue. I would definitely have it looked at the dealership. Unless you have been in sub-zero, I cannot believe this would be considered normal. And don't let the dealership blow you off. Insist on dealing with GM if they donot provide satisfaction. Remember, this is a new tranny/clutch combo.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
JoeKr said:
I have the 6-speed in the Detroit area since last fall, and never noticed this issue. I would definitely have it looked at the dealership. Unless you have been in sub-zero, I cannot believe this would be considered normal. And don't let the dealership blow you off. Insist on dealing with GM if they donot provide satisfaction. Remember, this is a new tranny/clutch combo.
When is the next time you need to bring your car in for service? I would like to coordinate my visit with yours so that the dealer has two manual CTS's to compare to demonstrate that mine has a problem. We are both in Ann Arbor so feel free to PM me about this.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mbai2 said:
I don't idle for it to warm up. I just granny shift with the clutch until the car is warmed up and ready to handle my full wrath. :lildevil:
Well that would work fine if the clutch came out fast enough. I counted how long it takes for the clutch to release this morning... 5 mississippi seconds!!! That doesn't work with me at all, especially pulling onto a 110km/h highway.
I let it warm up for 15 mins this morning and it was still almost undrivable, it took another 15 mins of driving at 110 before the clutch softened up reasonably enough. Like I said, it never did this until I took it to the dealership last thursday, but I don't see why they would be frigging around with my clutch anyways!? I guess I will be complaining about this when I bring my car in next for a new rear diff, new wheel bearings and new accessory belts.

Oil filler cap.... where is that?:confused: I will have to take a look, I've actually never looked to see where that is on this car...benefits of having free sched. maint...:) sorry you guys I just had to get that in...:bouncy:

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I'm fairly sure that the slow release of the pedal is due to tolerances and low temperatures. I don't know what the fix it, but the temps haven't been that cold here in VA for me to test mine.

An unrelated warning, though. Check your clutch resevoir. I was shocked to find it completely empty in such a new car. Apparently, it doesn't hold much fluid and the the clutch settles after it breaks in. I topped mine off last week to be safe.

It would suck to push in the clutch pedal and nothing happened.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
odysseus said:
I'm fairly sure that the slow release of the pedal is due to tolerances and low temperatures. I don't know what the fix it, but the temps haven't been that cold here in VA for me to test mine.

An unrelated warning, though. Check your clutch resevoir. I was shocked to find it completely empty in such a new car. Apparently, it doesn't hold much fluid and the the clutch settles after it breaks in. I topped mine off last week to be safe.

It would suck to push in the clutch pedal and nothing happened.
I don't see how this could simply be due to low temps. If Cadillac didn't expect this car to be driven in the cold they should get a swift kick in the ass. The temps here are just tipping 0 F. It gets down to -35F here so now I'm worried! Will the clutch even work?!?!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Cold temps will definitely cause parts to contract. Like an engine, I'm sure the hydraulic clutch cylinder is designed to operate at some optimum temperature. It may not be as efficient at start up or in an overheat condition. I agree that they shouldn't be selling cars in Canada if they can't certify that they work in below 0 temperatures.

When we test parts for spacecraft, they typically have to work at -30C to +60C even when under or overvolted.

Here in VA, we consider anything below +45F outdoors to be frigid! LOL

·
Registered
'04 Escalade EXT
352 Posts
It has been a whle since i have posted, but heres my $.02. I park in a heated garage every night. In the morning I have absolutely no problems with the clutch, just like in the summer. The temps here in iowa have been staying around 0. My car sits outside all day while i am at work. In the evening when i go home, I have the same clutch issue. I will check to see if there is a problem with my fluid level but I am also 100% sure that it is having to do with the cold. It is possible that it is a combination of cold and other variables, but cold is deffinitly in there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This pises me off, I can't wait for half an hour every time I want to drive the car, I already have an oversized 3 car garage!!! The car won't be parking inside there though unless I want to move either my boat or the quad and skidoo out on the lawn for the winter... Maybe I'll just park the CTS in the driveway for the winter and drive the Merc.... Seems stupid I cant properly drive a sedan year round, especially since its not even a V!!!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You have a 3 car garage and don't park cars in it????? The CTS stays in the driveway when it's below freezing????? No wonder you have cold soak when it's below zero! :thepan:

I'd be putting something in the driveway or back yard to make room for a CTS. All of my cars have their own place to sleep in one of my two garages. My boat stays at the marina. It keeps them all happy! I have a Jeep for severe winter driving. I don't want any crazies sliding into my CTS.

All kidding aside. That's definitely the problem. Maybe an engine block heater would help, since the tranny is attached.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Brake fluid is alcohol and castor or some other vegetable oil.Take your turkey baster and suck some of the fluid out of the clutch master cylinder and replace it with 90% isopropyl alcohol. Work the clutch pedal a few times and you should be good to go. This is how you get the brakes to work when you are driving in -65F weather. Don't use a petroleum based product because this will destroy the seals. Alternately you might drain all the fluid and replace it with a DOT approved cold weather brake fluid.

-Over fifty years of driving in Alaska.-

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
odysseus said:
You have a 3 car garage and don't park cars in it????? The CTS stays in the driveway when it's below freezing????? No wonder you have cold soak when it's below zero! :thepan:

I'd be putting something in the driveway or back yard to make room for a CTS. All of my cars have their own place to sleep in one of my two garages. My boat stays at the marina. It keeps them all happy! I have a Jeep for severe winter driving. I don't want any crazies sliding into my CTS.

All kidding aside. That's definitely the problem. Maybe an engine block heater would help, since the tranny is attached.
Thanks for the parking advice ;) I park the Mercedes in there just because I don't drive it as much, the boat so I don't have to get it winterized and all the other toys. I also don't have the option to park the boat or toys in my driveway or in my back yard because of a community restriction disallowing me to do so.

HAHA! No crazies can slide into my car unless they slide right through the community gates, then 1000 feet down a road, then a 120 degree corner drift and another 50 feet down my driveway, in which case they'd probably plow my CTS right into my living room... which in turn would be a far greater concern... thanks though! :)

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
Excuse me for digging up old threads but did you get this sorted out? My clutch still starts out sluggish when it's been sitting in sub freezing temperatures for several hours. I want something concrete to tell my service dept before I bring it in again for this issue.

·
Registered
CTS
531 Posts
I have an idea, and I'm not sure what the CTS uses for fluid if its the standard DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid. Try going from the regular fluid to the synthetic dot 3/4 brake fluid. Thay may help...

For those who don't know brake fluid is for hyd. fluid for clutches.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I can tell you that we have tried to replace many clutches due to this issue.
Pedal assemblies, hydrolics etc..... did not fix the problem. Just a little info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts