Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At lower rpms (2,000 - 2,800) my 05, 3.6, 6 speed seems to clunk (bites but does not grind) shifting in the lower gears. Particularly 1st to 2nd and the worst is 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes it seems to want to throw itself out of first in shifting to 2nd. I have taken it to the dealer twice. They look at me as if I don't know what I'm talking about, test drive the car and tell me there is nothing wrong and this is the nature of the tranny. I do not believe this. Winding it out and shifting at higher rpms seems to be okay. My inclination is that the Caddy dealer is just not used to dealing with MTs.

Has anyone else with a MT had a similar experience?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 1-2 shift can feel a little "clunky", there can be a bit of a bump half-way through the shift (kind of like the synchros aren't lined up). No grind, or harshness, just a little bit of resistance that goes away after a half-second or so. I didn't think it was unusual, so I have never had it looked at.

2-3 (and the trest of the upshifts) are very smooth. The 2-1 downshift (or just getting it into 1st from anything but a completee stop) is the same - I thought that might be intentional so you don't accidently grab 1st on a 4-3 downshift. With first being such a short gear, you don't want it above about 10mph anyways.

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts
honestly, i have been saying the same thing since i got mine. it feels like something between 1st and 2nd just isnt straight or lined up. but of course i get the crazy looks and the "no fault found" from the dealership as well. I kind of figured it was just because the 6manual was only started in 05 so there are still some design tweaks to make it feel smoother. glad to know im not the only one who thinks this is crazy out there..
edit: my old thread for reference http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39493

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The actual synchronizing mechanism in a manual transmission is called..get this..a balk ring. The force applied to the balk ring by the dissimilar speeds of the two sides of the synchronizing mechanism blocks the engagement of the shifting dogs until the speeds of the shifting dogs match. If the slope of the cone clutches on the balk rings is shaped to provide greater synchronizing force it won't last long. Because the lower ratio gears can have the heaviest gears rotating with the greatest speed differential you have to apply steady pressure to the shifting mechanism so that the balk ring clutches have a chance to deal with all the required energy transfer for the speed match. What we did years ago was to throw away the balk rings and grind away half the shifting dogs. This alowed effortless speed shifts but required double clutching for normal driving.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
dkozloski said:
The actual synchronizing mechanism in a manual transmission is called..get this..a balk ring. The force applied to the balk ring by the dissimilar speeds of the two sides of the synchronizing mechanism blocks the engagement of the shifting dogs until the speeds of the shifting dogs match. If the slope of the cone clutches on the balk rings is shaped to provide greater synchronizing force it won't last long. Because the lower ratio gears can have the heaviest gears rotating with the greatest speed differential you have to apply steady pressure to the shifting mechanism so that the balk ring clutches have a chance to deal with all the required energy transfer for the speed match. What we did years ago was to throw away the balk rings and grind away half the shifting dogs. This alowed effortless speed shifts but required double clutching for normal driving.
I remember my father talking about this. Thats why cars, gas, and insurance was so cheap, because driving the car was such a chore :)

I've found the same thing as sid_vicious, 1-2 are clunky, but the rest are fine.
My ex found the same in her 330, and we have the same tranny, don't we?
My dealer said the usual rhetoric, problems cannot be replicated.
Personnally, I can deal with the creaks and rattles and clunks of any car. To me, if the cars serves its purpose, it serves its purpose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry to hear others are having the same symptoms, that means this transmission is a piece of garbage instead of me just getting a bad one. I have driven dozens of MTs in my 40 years of driving experience and nothing as annoying as this. I find this unacceptable for a car that is supposed to be a quality build. I don't know what I am going to do, but Cadillac and my dealer are going to continue to hear from me. I would encourage you all to continue to let your dealers and Cadillac know this is unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
What used to do wonders for the original Borg-Warner T-10 2.20:1 first gear Corvette transmissions which had the same problem was Wynn's Friction Proofing for manual transmissions which was sold in a very small blue colored tin can that required a church key to open. It had something to do with the friction characteristics of the brass balk rings. It was indeed the correct "cock for Dolly".

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
paulfl05 said:
I am sorry to hear others are having the same symptoms, that means this transmission is a piece of garbage instead of me just getting a bad one. I have driven dozens of MTs in my 40 years of driving experience and nothing as annoying as this. I find this unacceptable for a car that is supposed to be a quality build. I don't know what I am going to do, but Cadillac and my dealer are going to continue to hear from me. I would encourage you all to continue to let your dealers and Cadillac know this is unacceptable.
Honestly, to me, its just an annoyance, just like the armrest creaking every time you rest on it. When it breaks or hurts performance, then I'll take it in. Life is too short to me, to worry about a clunk.

·
Registered
05 3.6 CTS MT
404 Posts
except when i try to accelerate and having to be cautious shifting from 1st to 2nd and aware that it will resist. that should be the easiest gear to get into. it has been on any other maual car ive driven, they all seem to just slide right down but this seems to get caught almost. kjladhsfkhaeuw annoyance is right

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Yours sounds worse then mine. Mine, I just shove it into 1st, its just rough. Yours seems like its more. Bring'er in!

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 6MT shifts perfectly...but every once in awhile, a shift into 3rd is "clicky" for lack of a better term.

As others have mentioned, it is very speed sensitive in the downshifting department; especially 2nd to 1st.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am sorry to hear others are having the same symptoms, that means this transmission is a piece of garbage instead of me just getting a bad one. I have driven dozens of MTs in my 40 years of driving experience and nothing as annoying as this.
Just to be clear - I didn't describe my tranny as defective, or even an "annoyance". Noting a slight bump in the 1-2 shift is just part of learning to drive the car in the smoothest, most optimal manner. Every car worth driving will have its own characteristics, and driving this car brings a huge smile to my face every time i'm behind the wheel. I've owned other manual transmissions, and this is the best-driving one i've owned. I'd rather have some feel in it than a completely effortless "snick-snick" with no resistance at all that provides no feedback to the driver.

For the record, the clutch feel is excellent, too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
bladehack said:
My 6MT shifts perfectly...but every once in awhile, a shift into 3rd is "clicky" for lack of a better term.

As others have mentioned, it is very speed sensitive in the downshifting department; especially 2nd to 1st.
I also have a VERY clicky shift into 3rd gear, did it since new... I find all the gears to be a little notchy and clunky at lower speeds and light acceleration, I thinks its normal. I've driven much worse! My buddy just bought a 05' Saab 9-2x aero....OUCH! That manual is a BITCH to drive!

·
Registered
63 Posts
haute_heir said:
I also have a VERY clicky shift into 3rd gear, did it since new... I find all the gears to be a little notchy and clunky at lower speeds and light acceleration, I thinks its normal. I've driven much worse! My buddy just bought a 05' Saab 9-2x aero....OUCH! That manual is a BITCH to drive!
I test-drove the 9-2x Aero. What a HOOT that car is!!! I was either pinned into the seat under full accel, or jammed against the seat belts under full braking. There was no way to drive that thing at 50% or even 70%! And the shifter felt like the old "rock crusher" 4-speeds from the 70's.

·
Registered
362 Posts
sid_v said:
I test-drove the 9-2x Aero. What a HOOT that car is!!! I was either pinned into the seat under full accel, or jammed against the seat belts under full braking. There was no way to drive that thing at 50% or even 70%! And the shifter felt like the old "rock crusher" 4-speeds from the 70's.
Thats exactly what I thought. I don't see how anyone could drive that in the city traffic and be pleased, ID GO INSANE!! You can't drive that car in a civil fashion, and when you try to all you get is jerky shifts, close calls for stalling, etc, etc... Fun when youre goin full out, but man thats a rough car to drive!

·
Registered
2011 CTS Performance Coupe -3.6 DI 6 Speed Manual
479 Posts
I spoke with the Cadillac engineer responsible for the Asin AY6 transmission.
He states that the clunking is normal for a slow 2-3 shift at <3000rpm. The reason is that at first the synchros line up but the harmonics from the drive shaft cause the synchros to un-synchronize.
If you do a fast 2-3 shift at <3000 rpm you will find the clunck is not there. They know it's an annoyance but they do not have a fix.
He also stated that this will not harm the trans.

·
Registered
09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT
146 Posts
28,000 miles on mine.

I have exactly the same characteristics described in the posts.

I usually double-clutch on my downshifts to minimize wear on the syncros. Many state you don't need to with tranny's today, but why not take it easy.

Its a new tranny design. Not perfect, but very drivable.

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
No issues with mine, either.

While it's not like my friend's Miata, and nowhere close to the Acura Integra I had 15 years ago (nobody built a better-feeling tranny than Honda at that time), it gets the job done. I never miss a gear and it doesn't grind. I can live with a few slight clicks every now and then.

Compared to the CTS, my Ranger feels like a '51 John Deere!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to thank all for their input. So as not to be completely negative, I do like almost everything else about the car. Per the autocrossing post... I also have taken mine to our Corvette Club autocross "test n tune." I raised a lot of eyebrows and had a lot of requests for ride alongs. When I am done modifying my Nivomats I'm sure I'll be even happier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts