2005 Escalade 6.0L AWD
241,000 miles.
First I'll list the specs and new parts:
20inch summer wheels and tires as well as 20" blizzak on another set for winter

Parts replaced:
Within the last few months:
Upper control arms/balljoints
Camber bolts/cams
All new brakes on all new corners (upgraded to 2007 escalade "big" brakes)
Front brake hoses
U-joints on front driveshaft (tried to alleviate shake, made no difference)
Right front wheel bearing
Right front ride height sensor
ABS Module and Modulator valve
New engine belts

Replaced 2 years ago:
Rear air shocks
Air ride compressor (and module/relay?)

The front shocks are still original at 240k but do not show any signs of leaking oil, so I'm beginning to wonder if its time to replace them just because of the mileage?

Problem 1: Clunk/cracking noise, 99% of the time this occurs after the truck has been parked for a bit and I put it in reverse. I almost almost have to reverse to get out of wherever I am parked. To be it sounds like its more so coming from the front end but I have yet to have a second set of hands to try it with to see if I can pinpoint where it is coming from.

I was reading about bad motor mounts on some trucks (seemed to be 07-14 mostly) but to my knowledge the engine mounts are original with 241k on them.

My thoughts for this problem:
Engine Mounts
Trans Mount
Maybe Steering Shaft? (I can hear it clunking once in a while) Thought about trying to grease it or should it just be replaced?

Problem 2: This problem occurred after the majority of the work was done and I swapped my summer tires back on and had an alignment done. It seems the issue is the worst around 45 like a shake to the point where the steering wheel is actually shaking in the truck. More speeds seems to alleviate it but then sometimes it will get a bad shake again from 65-70. And then at higher speeds it seems to be more like a vibration than a shake. Don't really notice this problem just driving around town 35mph and below.

The very weird thing is I don't notice it all the time and sometimes the shake is worse than other times. The ENTIRE front end has been checked over and all components are tight.

So my thoughts are:
Could this be engine mount or steering shaft related? Doesn't seem likely.
Wondering if the tires/wheels could have a balance issue?
Maybe CV shafts or front diff or causing this issue?

What I'm struggling with is how can it be intermittent like this also?

I replaced the front driveshaft u-joints thinking that might help and come to find out they were absolutely perfect even at 240k but I replaced them anyways while I had it apart. I will get to replacing the rear driveshafts ujoints eventually as well since I already have the new ujoints.

Obviously my next step will be to swap my snows back on and/or have the summers rebalanced and see if that helps with the shake, if it doesn't I'm not sure what it could be that would be intermittent????

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0 AWD, 2004 SLS, 2005 Bonnie GXP
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever it is seems to be intermittent the vibration. But it is always present above 60. Like now today it was almost a death wobble at 65. Terrible shake.

And the clunk is almost always in reverse. But I noticed if I reverse and hit the brakes and then go back to drive it will clunk it drive too. But I'm not really seeing anything that seems bad. Motor mounts seem right. End doesn't jump around at all. Not sure how exactly to test the trans mount but I don't see it clunking around when shifting.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
On my old Yukon had a bad shake at highway speed so bad I had to slow down. It drove the mechanics at 2 shops nuts. The GM dealer suggested it was the tires. Put on new front tires and it was still there. At the tire shop the guy even tried the tires off of his Suburban to try to narrow it down. With his tires it was gone but with mine it was back. He had truck style tires with stiff sidewalls and mine were soft riding flexible sidewall tires. It turned out that the front shocks would dampen large movements but not small movements. You would run over a large road crack or tiny bump and tires would bounce up and down between the tire flex and bad shock just a small amount causing the bad vibration but sometime so bad the steering wheel would shake violently. New front shocks fixed it and as long as I was going to replace the tires before winter I had the finish the job.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the info! It is driving me nuts. Was yours a yukon Denali with the electronic shocks? The only reason I've been holding off replacing them is because they are so expensive.

But I've got through pretty much everything else and I can't find anything.

Could a bad shock cause the camber to not be able to be adjusted properly?

My right front is also a degree or two less than what the camber specs are supposed to be.

Mine aren't leaking oil but with 240k they are probably due.

I have a set of snow tires I will swap out and see of the tires make any difference. I guess if that doesn't do it. The next thing will be new front shocks.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
Not a Denali but just a Yukon SLT. Its the problems you can't just look up in a manual that are the tough one to crack. Glad to help. I hope this works. Let us know.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I swapped on my snows and guess what......

The issues went away. So it obviously has to be wheel/tire related. Tire place I talked to said balance really only comes into play over 55. And a death wobble at 45 indicates bad belt or bent/damaged rim.

My tires are about 70% tread and one is 90% but I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get the new wheels and have new tires mounted but that's big $$$.

Never really liked the wheels that came on the truck anyways though.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,122 Posts
If the snow tires have stiffer side walls and the problem went away it could still be shocks that do not dampen with short movements.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I had a similar issue when my rear shocks was blown and it made the truck ride terrible
Plus at certain speeds it felt like I was on a boat in rough water(not fun) That was just the worst of it New rear shocks and it was night and day better

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Escalade Ext
29 Posts
I have an '03 Ext on 24's
I had the same problem occur where the truck would vibrate like crazy as if the truck was going to vibrate apart ( kind of like driving on the lane dividers non-stop).
Took my truck to a wheel shop, the took each wheel off to check balancing, and it came to find out that I had a bent wheel.
I purchased a new wheel barrel on 06-08-15 being the I have two piece wheels and it corrected the problem. Truck rides smooth like when I bought her brand new in 2003

image-1395795134.jpg

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help!

I have a feeling it is to do with the rims and/or tires BUT being that the shocks are original nearing a quarter million miles and the tires are nearly new, shocks will be first on the list. Rears were replaced 2 years ago so I plan on getting new DELCO shocks for the front. I've had enough BS lately with these "aftermarket" parts even the top shelf ones. I've sworn to only ever buy OE stuff if I can help it anymore. The extra money is worth not having the headache. If the shocks don't fix it I'm going to assume its the wheel/tire issue.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well figured I'd update this now. The truck is at 252k now and I have replaced the front shocks. A bit costly. I didn't notice a huge difference in ride but I did notice the tires were more worn as you went toward the outer edge which is a sign it needs shocks.

Whatever the vibration/shaking was turned out to be related to my summer wheels and tires as that has completely subsided since swapping on the snows.

And the clunking I was hearing turns out to actually be the steering shaft that I have not gotten around to fixing yet but its on the

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
Vibration could be due to balance issues. Could have a slight bend in the rim, get them balanced next summer and try swapping the front to back

1 - 14 of 14 Posts