Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Cadillac CTS with a 2.8L 6 speed Aisin manual transmission. There is a bad clunking noise from the drivetrain or differential at low speeds, usually in first gear. I have done a little research and notice that there is a preliminary information from GM, as follows:

"Clunk Noise When Shifting More Noticeable at Low Speeds - keywords clutch manual throttle transmission".

The preliminary information bulletin number is PIP3896 and was issued August 21, 2006

Does anybody know what this is bulletin and/or problem is about or how to get rid of this irritating noise? I would really appreciate your help to sort this out.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
I have a 2007 2.8 auto and I've noticed the tranny playing with me per say. No idea what the problem is. I don't even have 5K on the car but the next time it goes in for service I plan on it being on the ticket. I'm still waiting for the gas tank gauge to be fixed. If you haven't had this problem yet I hope you never will be regardless it will be a call back of sorts for us with 2007's. If you're driving and your gas tank suddenly reads empty worry not, it's "normal" lol.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L Y43 Hotchkis Stage-1TVS-totaled, 13 Subaru WRX
3,518 Posts
I have the 6speed mannual and the clunk. Hell that GM inquary may be because of me since ive had my car in the dealership a few times. They tell me its because of the u-joint in the drive train. they replaced my drive shaft but i still get it ocasionally, this morning leaving the neighborhood as a matter of fact. Guess i will be back again.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information and help. Sounds like this is a problem for a number of people. Has anybody had an opportunity to read the GM information bulleting PIP3896? I am curious to know how they suggest this be sorted out.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
have not read the info, but i am under warranty and I am just back @ the dealership reguarly complaining about it. Only advice i can give to u. Good thing my dealerships is one of the best in the country, only second to Lindsay Cadillac I'm thinking

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The fix is the same as our diffs, repair it till your warranty runs out then laugh at you... no i dont know of a permanent fix, or something that kept it quiet for more than 3 months either.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have now been advised by the dealer that the noise is normal and a characteristic of the drivetrain, and includes factors such as torque reversal, axle backlash, front and rear drive shaft rubber isolation flanges, drive shaft center support, and a dual mass flywheel, whatever all this means. Lots of words, same clunk. Funny how no-one told me this when I was buying the thing! GM apparently thinks this does not warrant repair. So, I guess I am stuck with a clunk each time I am in first gear. I suppose it's something I must get used to - my car only has about 2500 miles on it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
For what it worth I was also told the clunk is normal. They replaced the rubber bushing in front of diff and the clunk is gone. Figure that one out.
Where's Ewill?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Im not used to it. Had the car a year and i still cringe when i hear it. I get even more frustrated when someone smartly says "you'r cadillac is making a noise in the rear end" I just think i drive this Fer every day buddy I know just isn't shit I can do.

X

·
0 Posts
am I the only one who has this problem with an automatic transmission?

mine only seems to happen when downshifting to 1st at low speeds

IT IS VERY ANNOYING.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sorry I am late.

I don't get any results when searching with that PI number.
It may have been outdated or removed from SI, it could also be that it applies to an older model or a different car.
The only clunk bulletin or PI I see listed for '07 CTS is the generic one for "stackup tolerances" in drivelines and they consider that normal.

Often times the bushing in the rear diff will break and allow excess movement, it can be hard to spot if you have never seen a broken one.
The V8 version in the V has some notable "parade clunk".
It is also normal and not really fixable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, this is the closest thread to what I'm looking for, not trying to hijack this. I have an 05 3.6l 6spd, and have started to develop a grind going into 5th gear. It only happens if the rpm's are over 3000 and I shift from 4th to 5th (which is still pretty light driving.) I think its the syncro thats going but not sure. I dont think its related but I also have the rear differential humming noise when I'm going about 30mph in 3rd, or 4th. I'm going to schedule an appointment to have it looked at, but not sure how a caddy dealer is going to be. (it will be my 1st trip there.) Just wondering if anyone had this issue.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed
189 Posts
I have the clunk on my '07 6-speed also. It is not real bad and I tend to believe it is normal because:

When I had my BMW it had the same issue. It became a big thing on bimmer.org to the point where many owners were writing Germany. In the end, BMW said it was normal and produced a bunch of tech info to support them.

Probably same issue. You do get some spring load of metals in the drivetrain and when it is release by pressing in the clutch some noise is made.

·
Registered
Cadillac
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your guidance, everyone. GM has now been in touch and tells me there is something called a parade mode driveline and that this clunking noise is normal. For them, I guess. Well, now I know what it's like to own a real 'clunker'! GM seems surprised that their customers don't want to hear a clunk every time they change gears. Perhaps their engineers forgot to think about customers, content to tell customers they are wrong and stupid for not understanding the great product GM engineered for them. Well, the problem is, I actually am an engineer, too, but lack the experience to make something this bad! Two friends have Lexuses (Lexi?!) they bought for a little more but neither have any problem, and their lifetime ownership costs will likely be less than mine when I get rid of this clunker. Mine has 5000 km, and comes with a loud radio setting and earmuffs. Anyone interested?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts