Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my new 2015i where I hear this clunk in the rear or middle of the truck after accelerating from being stopped at a stop light or stop sign, etc. it is embarrassing because it is so loud and I am sure others can hear it too. I started recording the noise with my phone after every stop too. It is a loud clunk when weight shifts to the rear when I accelerate from being stopped. I did some research and found out about greasing the slip yoke due to it being cheap and not made of nickel. I don't know why they would use a cheap slip yoke or if this is the actual problem. Greasing it is a temporary fix and I want a real quality fix. Is this the drive shaft problem they have been hearing? I don't know but am sick of hearing this after every stop. I found these links which sounds like they are having the same issue.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38275&page=2

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=1307

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,741 Posts
Where you in 4auto, 4hi or 4lo? Did you hear a clunking sound esp if you try to accelerate aggressively? If so, it's normal in a 4wd vehicle(escalade hybrid). Less in my RRS but it's there.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
On that Tahoe forum someone mentioned anti-klunk grease which seems like a cheaper alternative juxtaposed to a nickel or zinc drive shaft. I googled anti-klunk grease however and could not find anything.

----------

Where you in 4auto, 4hi or 4lo? Did you hear a clunking sound esp if you try to accelerate aggressively? If so, it's normal in a 4wd vehicle(escalade hybrid). Less in my RRS but it's there.
You have a clunk in your RR? What's the model year? I have about 61k on my 2011, I don't have a clunk.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,741 Posts
hannity said:
On that Tahoe forum someone mentioned anti-klunk grease which seems like a cheaper alternative juxtaposed to a nickel or zinc drive shaft. I googled anti-klunk grease however and could not find anything. ---------- You have a clunk in your RR? What's the model year? I have about 61k on my 2011, I don't have a clunk.
It have a clunk on my 2011 bought new when it had 14k miles and as well as my 2013 RRS bought new in 2013. I hear the clunk when turning but from a straight line, sure it doesn't have it. It is a common complaint as well in rangerovers.net.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Sometimes these sounds when accelerating are just some loose parts that slide when accelerating in the chassis/body of the vehicle.
In the old assembly lines some workers who were bored would sometimes insert ball bearings in the frame that would be difficulty to detect and fix.

But it sounds like you may have narrowed it down to something that is wrong.
Greasing and Oiling are sometimes THE RECOMMENDED PERMANENT FIX.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ evois
No I am in a 2 wheel drive only and am accelerating very softly since I mostly ride around with my dog and don't like slamming on the brakes or taking off uncomfortably fast. I ease into the gas and it makes the clunk noise, if I accelerate fast it may make the noise louder and quicker or sometimes not at all. My slow acceleration may make the clunk more profound but am not sure

----------

@ zeridian1
They say grease on slip yoke fixes it but must be re greased after a year or two. This just seems too high of maintenance and never had this issue with 2007Avalanche. It sounds like there is a space where there should not be for a part to move around and clunk, maybe it is the drive shaft but a cheap slip yoke is not acceptable. I don't want to have this happen anymore period. I just requested the quality manager come ride with me in my stop filled city since the dealership is located on a highway.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It have a clunk on my 2011 bought new when it had 14k miles and as well as my 2013 RRS bought new in 2013. I hear the clunk when turning but from a straight line, sure it doesn't have it. It is a common complaint as well in rangerovers.net.
I saw a thread about it, one person was complaining about a front end clunk when going over pot holes. Someone else posted an actual video, they drove the car and when they stopped and idled, the car was making a banging noise but it seemed more like the engine was knocking badly. The clunk the OP is talking about sounds like the infamous GM drive line clunk. As for my RR no clunks at 4 years in and hopefully I won't have any.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,741 Posts
My escalade hybrid have sealed unit joints. I wished it had grease plugs. But in the end if it's not greased it will have the clunk. Now I noticed the new escalade have grease plugs compared to old.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@hannity
Is this drive line shaft fixable? How do they get this far with vehicle manufacturing this similar type vehicle as models before and start making them worse than the older models. I could be the unlucky one but I know there are more than just me, this could also be a result of my truck sitting for five weeks at the shop waiting for the antennae to come in, because when I first got it I did not have this clunking.

·
Registered
677 Posts
@hannity
Is this drive line shaft fixable? How do they get this far with vehicle manufacturing this similar type vehicle as models before and start making them worse than the older models. I could be the unlucky one but I know there are more than just me, this could also be a result of my truck sitting for five weeks at the shop waiting for the antennae to come in, because when I first got it I did not have this clunking.
The drive shaft issue from what I have seen is a common issue, it's one of those issues that NOT all GM full size suv/truck owners will have. However the majority of people who do some have it at 3k miles and some get it at 87k. Some baby their trucks and never get it and some use it to haul boats, horse trailer etc and never get it. It's one of those problems that is a roll of the dice issue. Some dealers and techs will tell you to use some sort of grease to remedy it. But those who have done so say it only works for a year or 2 years then it comes back. Small shops actually say that a small racquet ball should be inserted along the shaft to help remedy the issue. A GM dealership sometimes will put in a grease to take care of it or install a nickel drive shaft. This problem is not new at all, as far as I know it's been around since 2000, others who have been around GM trucks may say it's older than that. As for a fix looks like greasing or a nickel plated drive shaft are your options. The biggest thing is to take it to a dealer and have then definitely tell you what it is. It could be something other than the drive shaft that is causing the clunking noise, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I have taken our 2015i Escalade in four times for the same issue, but mine seems to come from the front suspension where you can feel it and hear it, but it could be the driveshaft or the rear diff resonating through the frame of the car. I can even feel the clunk hit the gas pedal when you are accelerating. It's an annoying issue and doesn't seem normal to me at all. None of our previous Escalades have had this issue. Such a shame for such a nice car to have little annoying issues like this, especially at this price point.

At first dealer felt it and heard it and documented it as such, but on the fourth attempt, they finally found a TSB on the issue that says it's normal. TSB Document ID #99-04-20-002I outlines it. Service department shop foreman took a test drive with me and felt it and heard it and then he test drove two other new 2015i Escalades and both of those new Escalades also had the exact same issue. I was able to duplicate the issue every single time. Get the truck up to 40 MPH and then come to a complete stop. Accelerating from a stop with throttle tip-in at about 30% and you get the clunk. It doesn't happen if you do repeated stop and go spurts. It only will occur after going higher speeds and then coming to a stop. This issue has been driving me crazy! I am sure everyone has it, but most people don't notice it.

----------

KandyDavins,

Can you post the video of the clunk? I am curious if I am having the same issue. I know you can hear it, but can you also feel it under the gas pedal? I can feel it hit my foot through the gas pedal.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Mine started making this noise last week. Have an appointment tomorrow. Just assumed they didn't tighten something properly after replacing all the suspension components.

Noticed on starting and stopping.

The district manager can't get here soon enough!

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
They're gonna say it's normal and reference the TSB Document ID #99-04-20-002I and they won't fix a thing. Big waste of time. You would think GM would have a fix for this issue by now.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
@GM4 Life Yeah it is so freaking annoying, I live in 45 mph zones with bunch of stop signs and stop lights. I cringe every time I step on the gas! I can't feel mine hit the gas pedal tho. I have made audio recordings that faintly catch it but have thought about a video using a go pro and mount it near my back right rear tire to maybe see where it's coming from but why should I spend more money trying to fix this, the manufacturer should be but doesn't care as much as I do. I will try to get a video posted tho. Maybe others will realize they have the issue too. ---------- Looks like other manufacturers have the same problem, even tesla motors http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/31707-Subtle-clunk-from-rear-when-accelerating-from-a-stop ---------- There is even a video he posted but their clunk sounds much nicer than the resonating thump I hear underneath my truck at takeoff

----------

@ GM4life
I have found a video of a car that has the same clunk! I hear this clunk after I accelerate too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFForxmifjo

----------

Here is another video, this is a gmc and this is the noise I hear when I accelerate. It seems it is a loose drive train clunk

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIG5-YIElw

·
Registered
677 Posts
They're gonna say it's normal and reference the TSB Document ID #99-04-20-002I and they won't fix a thing. Big waste of time. You would think GM would have a fix for this issue by now.
As long as people keep buying them, they won't fix anything.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
That won't work. The only way for GM to know there is an issue like this is for people to buy them and complain once they experience the issue. If nobody bought the new Escalades, how would GM know of the issue?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts