Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime i hit a bump in my eldo i hear a lound clunk that seems to be coming from around where my feet are.

I checked all the motor mounts, they seem fine. I also searched all under the car and came up with nothing. I cant find anyhting loose and i hit a bunch of things with the rubber mallet and nothing moved.

Its not a rattle, but a clunk, and it only happens when i hit large bumps. My car also get a bit of a vibration on long highway turns.

Is there anyhting that commonly wears out that would clunk like this?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tie-rod end?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I had something like that happen to my car... Turned out to be the front air dam came undone and would start flapping when going over big bumps..... :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
it might be the sway bar linkage. its the rod about a foot long that connects the sway bar to the strut on both sides. they have 2 ball joints on each end and these can go bad and make noises when you hit bumps. try to put your car on a lift and see if there is any play in them. if so you can get these replacement parts from other autoparts stores besides the cadillac dealership.

hope this help.
jcdsog.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Might want to check the struts too.
If this is the case, you should be able to bounce the car up and down pretty good (by lifting, or bouncing on the bumper) and duplicate the sound.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Normally you can just hear it coming from the strut. An experienced mechanic can also bounce the car and tell you if your struts are bad as well.
$600 for struts also seems a bit high...

·
Registered
140 Posts
The clunk from under your feet could be the sway bar bushings. They are (you guessed it) right under your feet. The sway bar is about 7/8" diameter and runs along the top of the rear member of the engine cradle. There is a rubber bushing and steel strap holding the bar to the cradle at each side. These are about a foot inboard of the edge of the floor pan.

If you can move the bar up & down or front to back, the bushings are bad. They are not hard to replace, but the working space is limited. A 13 mm (I think) wrench & socket are required. A U-joint for the ratchet and a very short extension (1") are helpful. The bolts have to be unscrewed upward from the cradle toward the floor pan.

Take the VIN number from your car with you to the dealer. They will need it to make sure you get the correct size bushings for the sway bar installed in your car. The bushings are not expensive - I paid about $13 each from the local Caddy dealer (Canadian - I would guess around 9 bucks US).

You will need a sharp knife to cut a split in the old bushings so you can slip it off the bar - they must have slid them on from the end of the bar when the car was built. The new bushings already have a split in them so you can slip them on.

When you install the new ones, you will be amazed at how tightly they clamp the bar. I thought the dealer gave me ones for too small a bar until I noticed the color marking (mine were "orange") for the replacement were the same as the originals.

It cured the bump-clunk on my 94 STS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Eric,
Great information. I have the same noise in my 1992 STS. I have the factory service manual and in reviewing it and comparing to your comments I have a couple of questions. Note: The service manual does not show how to replace the insulator only, but rather the entire stabilizer bar so this may account for some of the questions.

1. First, the manual says to remove the exhaust pipe from the manifold. Is this necessary for only the insulator replacement?

2. The manual further says to hold the "ball stud" with a torx or pliers to prevent turning while loosening. I think they are talking about where the bar connects to the strut. By reading your comments, I assume you did NOT have to remove this to replace the insulator. Please confirm.

3. Did you just remove the two bolts that are vertical and then push up on the bar to give clearance and then cut the insulator away? This sounds pretty straight forward, but I want to be sure before I get under the car and get started.

4. You said that a 1" extension would be helpful. Should I just go buy one or is it possible without?

Thanks for all the great information

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
ipncjh1