Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 SLS with a cloth top.

Across the roof just in front of the rear window is cloth seam, you might call it a ridge as it sticks up maybe 3/8 inch, that has torn loose. Looks like the thread may have come loose.

Since I can push this back in place do you think super glue would fix it? Or is there a more proper way?

Thanks for your help,
Big Jake

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I'd call some body shops or glass shops that do vinyl roofs. They'd probably know those ones too and know how to deal with it. Superglue might work but it might also do something damaging to it overtime.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Big Jake said:
I have a '97 SLS with a cloth top.

Across the roof just in front of the rear window is cloth seam, you might call it a ridge as it sticks up maybe 3/8 inch, that has torn loose. Looks like the thread may have come loose.

Since I can push this back in place do you think super glue would fix it? Or is there a more proper way?

Thanks for your help,
Big Jake
I have a similar problem around my windows. A seam has opened and the white backing shows. I also considered super glue, but I'm worried that it will change the color. It's actually a fairly powerful chemical.
Think twice about using it. I need to get serious about finding the right stuff, and I'll let you know.
Bob

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
78 Posts
Replacement might be needed

My car has the same problem. I took it to a few places that put those roofs on for the dealer and was told that it can't be fixed for two reasons: 1. It is sewn from the inside out meaning there is another trim piece in there that would need to come out, thereby ruining the back of the roof. 2. With my particular car, the roof is also suffering from dry rot. Check to see if there is any green around the molding or edges. This car spent winters in FL. and summers in MD. without garage protection, so the top had a pretty good run. I've gotten an estimate of $695 for vinyl replacement, or $795 for cloth. Both include a 3 year warranty on parts and labor. I've attached a picture of the car, so you can see how even a well-maintained car can develop problems with the cloth roof. Also, I posted some close-up pictures of the damaged roof area on another thread: Duking up a '94 Concourse 4door DeVille http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4108&goto=newpost

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you want it to help it last for a while longer, and push off
the complete replacement, my standby is Devcon 5 minute
epoxy. Its a great general adhesive. Much better than superglue.

·
Registered
El Dawg
106 Posts
My roof was peeling up in the front and it was fixed using windshield glue.The clips that hold on my roof had broke and it couldn't be fixed because pulling off the top would have ruined it so the body shop came up with the idea of using windshield sealant..that was two years ago and my roof is still on with no chance of ever coming off.I have a pheaton cloth roof and it is still perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts