Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Escalade EXT. Last Saturday morning a RAN out of the house. I woke up, and it was raining, and I couldn't remember if I left my sunroof open.

I've never had a sunroof before this car and am pretty absent minded to begin with :) so I decided that I would like to get a system that will close my windows and sunroof when I lock up the car

I have decided on a Viper system (unless someone convinces me otherwise) and went to my installer to talk about the idea.

He tells me that the windows can be done with a 530T module (but will make rolling the windows up REALLY slow) and the sunroof will be VERY difficult to nearly impossible (without coming up with some sort of rig that will cost me $1000s for him to come up with and create)

We read the you could use the 529T but that it needs the ignition to be on, which defeats the purpose.

He said If i research and find a way to do it, he will do it for me. So now I come to you guys and girls looking for advice. Does anyone know a way that we would be able to make the sunroof (and windows but they're not a requirement) close when we arm the alarm?

Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found this unit which can send multiple pulses or latches based on different triggers. It will also do Pulse, and Timer relay if that helps

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/TR7/1_Instructions/tr-7_instructions_010505.pdf

I know that if i press the sunroof close button all the way down, it closes the sunroof all the way.
Could I trigger that button press and the window will close?

Also I know that the sunroof buttons do not work with the ignition off. Could I use this module to set a timer to provide voltage to the sunroof somewhere for , lets say 1 minute after the ignition is off?

If I can get help figuring this out, I know a TON of users would like to implement this.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt
365 Posts
This is of interest to me and when my projects slow down I may take it on. In the meantime, keep us posted if you discover anything....If we could ever get access to BCM programming equipment and source code, I would think it could be solved in software. The only difficult issue is the variable time of closing depending on window/state of maintenance/temperature and maintaining the safety features for things inadvertently hanging or projecting out the openings. I can just see someone inadvertently locking/arming the alarm system while someone is inside with their hands in the sunroof opening..so the research would have to be done first to see where and how the safety feature is applied. If it is motor torque overload in the unit itself the rest is much easier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REPLY FROM THE12VOLT.COM

you need to find a new installer.

First, DEI will tell you not to use a 530T on this truck. This is from Directechs...

""Accessory Installation Warning! Window module such as the 530t that isolate the switch from the window motor at rest will not work in this vehicle. We recommend using a 529t type window module.""

I'm pretty sure the sunroof can be closed on a single negative pulse plus ignition. The switch has an 8 pin plug, on it is a wire called express close. It is green, pin 1. With some testing i bet this single wire will close the roof. Also, i notice a pink wire in pin 8. This may be the switched power for the roof( a common ignition color for GM), and if it is you could simply add a relay to give this wire power during the close process. If not, you can simply add a relay to turn the ignition on while it closes.

Worse case senerio(and the way i would prefer it), you add the close to an option button so you can close it whenever you want. This would be the most easiest way, as you would just wire two relays off the option button(one for close, one for switched power). You would simply hold down the option button until the roof is closed. I've done this many times on Toyota SUV's to roll the rear window down as they too need to see ignition on to work.

Oh, and i might add, if you really want it to close everytime you arm, a cheap timer to keep the ignition on for this would be the 528T. Under 20 bucks on Ebay....

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
54 Posts
a compustar alarm can handle windows/sunroof without breaking a sweat. everybody always screams viper, but compustar is the most sophisticated and feature rich alarm on the market. i don't work for them, i just have been using them since 2000. these alarms also use the blade system so an idatalink ads can be plugged right in. the ads only needs 1 wire to the obd II and gives most escalade functions (ads-blade al).

and if you really want to be fancy, you can convert the standard 9 outs to whatever you want. don't need the 2nd ignition, change it to Aux3, 5 mins to turn your amp fans on for 5 mins after arm.

and don't even get me started talking about Drone Mobile.

ok, back on topic...

when you wire a compustar, you hook it into the battery, ignition, and accessory. the compustar is smart enough to use the battery input as power when triggering an output without the key being in the ignition (although you will need a bypass to remote start). out of the box, you have two aux's to do with however your please. these outputs can be latched or pulsed, positive or negative, and can be triggered by the remote, arm/disarm or other. there are also a few other outputs that give ground/positive when armed/disarmed that may be available if not used in a standard install.

for windows/sunroof, you would use the standard GWA to the window roll up/down module. this wire will provide a constant ground when armed. i've used the DEI modules in the past with great success. this module uses electrical load resistance to determine when the windows are closed. when the window is closed it stops. if something gets stuck in the window, it will stop as well. omega modules work just as good btw.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will either of these alarms allow me to keep the OEM functionality of the remote start? i.e. Heat the steering wheel below X degrees, heat the seats, etc....

Also, I had a compustar alarm years ago that went out on me, but that was 2005. I have tried looking up some reviews and I can't seem to find any articles or reviews on them since 2006?

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade
54 Posts
all high end alarms + interface will allow you keep oem functionality. the compustar for instance has defrost out which can be set to come on with remote start or remote start + temp below 0 c/32 f. this output can be used for defrost, heated seats, etc. it does require wiring the defrost switch.

when you include an interface like an ads idatalink, it will allow an alarm to talk to the car thru the databus. so the alarm can tell the car to turn on the defrost, heated steering wheel or seats. this is the best option and doesn't require any add'l wiring. you'll need an interface for remote start anyway on gm vehicles so this is the preferred method.

and as far as reviews of the compustar. i'm not sure why there aren't alot on the internet. it is one of the most sold car alarms and consistently wins CEA awards. Viper is probably the market leader and they have a dope marketing team which is why they are so popular. Viper is a good alarm, but it is overpriced and is not as feature rich as the compustar.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,471 Posts
Will either of these alarms allow me to keep the OEM functionality of the remote start? i.e. Heat the steering wheel below X degrees, heat the seats, etc....

Also, I had a compustar alarm years ago that went out on me, but that was 2005. I have tried looking up some reviews and I can't seem to find any articles or reviews on them since 2006?
If you wouldnt mind keeping us up to date, Im very interested in how this turns out and which system/options you choose to use. Thank you sir...

·
Registered
2007 EXT
504 Posts
all high end alarms + interface will allow you keep oem functionality. the compustar for instance has defrost out which can be set to come on with remote start or remote start + temp below 0 c/32 f. this output can be used for defrost, heated seats, etc. it does require wiring the defrost switch.

when you include an interface like an ads idatalink, it will allow an alarm to talk to the car thru the databus. so the alarm can tell the car to turn on the defrost, heated steering wheel or seats. this is the best option and doesn't require any add'l wiring. you'll need an interface for remote start anyway on gm vehicles so this is the preferred method.

and as far as reviews of the compustar. i'm not sure why there aren't alot on the internet. it is one of the most sold car alarms and consistently wins CEA awards. Viper is probably the market leader and they have a dope marketing team which is why they are so popular. Viper is a good alarm, but it is overpriced and is not as feature rich as the compustar.
Compustar is a very good alarm. Had them in many cars and trucks. A good installer will have no problem giving you what you want to do.

Sent from Android.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts