Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get TunerCat and start to play with my ECM some, but I want to ensure that I have a baseline flash program. And not be dependant on the dealer if I need to recover. Or does TunerCat allow me to save my current combination somehow?

Also, can I use the program on a 94-95 T/A-Z28 with same gearing (3.42's were factory on some models of Z28)? I know of one person (highly respected in the Impala SS community) who was done this and said it made the Impala he had feel like a new car, (done before TunerCat and LT1 Edit existed) in transmission shifting. Can I duplicate these shift patterns? Are they documented where I can dupe them? I don't want to lose the factory V4P trans patterns (if they are unique, I honestly don't know, I have never driven a LT1 FW w/o V4P) for towing if they are needed.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
My guess is that the V4P and standard LT1 FW have the same tranny physically and programming-wise. But that's just a guess.

The F-body PCM flash won't really be the same for your vehicle. Even if it had the same rear gears (which affect just the speedometer reading) then you need to consider the different cam and heads between the two vehicles. Fuel trims would be all screwed up, I presume.

I'm no programming expert so this is all speculation. If want an extremely respected Impala (and B/D body) programming guru to pick his brain, then give Bryan Herter a call at PCMforless. He has programmed all LT1 vehicles 10,000 times overe and then some.....

www.pcmforless.com

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trans is different, still a 4L60E, but a much more HD version. I dug up some p/n's here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48424&highlight=V4P

The guy in question searched the dealer lots (at the time, was full of 95 Z28's) and found a match, 3.23 gears, LT1, and MX0/M30 trans. w/o traction control. And had the dealer flash the PCM like a new one with the VIN that matched.

He said it all worked great, drove much better than the Impala program, a few mpg better, but AC didn't work, so he looked up the FSM and came up with a simple fix on that too. (AC engagement was different, and will set a DTC of 71 until corrected).

I am guessing that with TunerCat and LT1Edit, likely PCMForLess and Ed Wrights FastChips, you can get the same functionality just on the existing base program. And the additional advanatage of adding the subroutines for Performance Mode on the transmission, allowing for firmer and higher shift points.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
709 Posts
before you start tweaking you program your gonna read the pcm first. Your gonna save it as a .bin file. The when you open lt1 edit program and tweak the program your gonna save it as a different name bin file that way you always have your baseline program saved. I have a few with different stages of mods and sift points. have fun....

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any preferences on LT1 Edit vs TunerCat vs ??? I like the idea of not being locked to one PCM that is a BIG plus in my book! And that I can get a PCMforLESS tune and blow it in with TunerCat's flash program too. Not sure on LT1Edit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts