Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have now transformed my V back to stock and the only problem left to fix is this clinging sound i get. Faster the car goes, the faster the sound. It doesnt happen until the car has been driven for a while, and only happens when the car is in neutral or if the clutch is pushed in. I thought it may have been the rear but then it would do that whether it was in gear or not right? So now im guessing it's a clutch or transmission issue. I recently tracked the car for half a day and didnt notice this until after the track. Oh and it doesnt seem to be affected by the brakes... Thanks for any and all suggestions. I plan on taking it in to the dealer in the morning, just want to see what you guys think. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 BMUU 335i MSport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
25,514 Posts
Hmm, does seem to increase in frequency the faster the car is moving. (yeah I know, I'm a lot of help... ;) )

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did ask for all comments/suggestions....haha Maybe its a broken tooth on the flywheel?

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
Well I hate to ask the obvious, but have you checked underneath looking for anything that might be hung or attached on the drive shaft or a wheel ?

(we used to play some nasty pranks with cable ties)

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a torn exhaust hanger i plan to replace in a few minutes. I've been under the car quite a bit lately but ill check again tonight. Just weird how it doesn't happen while in gear with the clutch out. Takes away from the cable tie possibility, but i'll certainly check. Guess i should do this before it gets too dark. Also have to remove my magnacharged emblem while im out there :( Thinking Goo-Gone and a spatula should do the trick

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used those shop paper towels and a screw driver. Dental floss probably would have been perfect! next time. I must have walked out right when you wrote that. So each muffler has a total of 3 rubber hangers. One stiff big one (haha) at the front of the muffler and 2 softer ones at the back. My passenger side exhaust is missing the main one and was only hanging on by one of the wimpy soft ones! Glad it didnt fall. So now i have the 2 soft ones, ill get the main one first thing in the morning. Guess the vibration from the cut outs must have worked it loose or maybe it came out on track day... With headers coming i may have to put a dab of silicone on there to keep it on place!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
If it was the flywheel it would be RPM specific, not vehicle speed.

Check the wheels for anything contacting the rim, as well as the driveshaft like CIWS suggested.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm well it does seem to run fine. Ill put it up on the ramps again and check it out. Guess going another day or two couldnt hurt

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I really dont think it's anything on the wheels. Its spinning/clinging too fast to be the wheels. I think there's a possibility the driveshaft could be slightly rubbing the Xpipe. Im going to get that other exhaust hanger in the morning and see what that does. If that doesnt fix it im taking her in. It only makes the noise when the shaft isnt under any type of load and doesnt do it in reverse. I would think the driveshaft rubbing something would make the noise whether or not it was under and when going forward and in reverse. :confused: Oh and why is it affected by temperature/run time ?? Doesnt do it when i first start it up...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help with the composition of Hooter's wings!!! jk Dropped the V off at the dealer this morning, they apparently were out of CTS's so now i'm rolling a Jeep Liberty, how festive for the 4th! I replaced all the missing exhaust hangers and checked the driveshaft and the noise is still there. I'll let ya'll know what they find out...

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weird! Just after i hit Submit Reply my cell rang.... The dealer called to tell me they just ordered a new driveshaft and are pretty sure that's the problem. Sa-weet! Bought the extended warranty just 2 weeks ago and glad i did! :thumbsup:

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Cool. The factory driveshaft has a center bushing that can go bad, so they very well could be right.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
Weird! Just after i hit Submit Reply my cell rang.... The dealer called to tell me they just ordered a new driveshaft and are pretty sure that's the problem. Sa-weet! Bought the extended warranty just 2 weeks ago and glad i did! :thumbsup:
Hmmm...wonder if Sewell knows about Miss Maggie? :stirpot:

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Miss maggie?? Who's that? I bought the car used so who knows what the guy before me did to it....:bigroll:

·
Registered
25,514 Posts
I wonder what the cost would have been without the warranty ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts