Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering, are the cooled seats simply ventilated with fans or do they run the A/C condensor? In other words, if I manually shut off my A/C, but turn the cooled seats on, am I running the condensor anyway?

The reason I ask is that I like the way the seats feel when they are "cooling", even when it is not warm enough outside to warrant using the A/C (and I have the roof or windows open). However, I don't want to compromise performance and fuel economy unnecessarily.

Thanks.

Todd

·
Registered
364 Posts
I believe that most "cooled" seats use what's called a Peltier Circuit. It's a thermo-electric form of cooling, kind of a reverse heating blanket.

Doesn't have any relationship to your HVAC settings.

Dave

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - now I can use them at my whim without being concerned about fuel economy or performance suffering.

Just a side note, this is my first vehicle with cooled seats. I think they are the best "new" practical feature to come out in a long time.

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV
211 Posts
I believe that most "cooled" seats use what's called a Peltier Circuit. It's a thermo-electric form of cooling, kind of a reverse heating blanket.

Doesn't have any relationship to your HVAC settings.

Dave
Yes, this what's going on and fans. If you have the cooled seats then they have these thermo-electric devices (TEDs GM likes to call them) that actually reverse which side is hot/cold to give heat/cooling. There are also fans in the seats to move the air through the seat. I have noticed that if the A/C is on and you turn on the cooled seats, the fan speed on the A/C will ratchet up a notch, initially. Presumably, this is to offset the warmer exhaust from the cooled seat.

Dave (different Dave)

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF
52 Posts
Agree, this is an awesome option.

Anyone have a real explanation (logical?) as to why these are available on a regular STS but not on an STS-V? I know the STS-V has the suede inserts, but the GM marketing always lists that as "preferred perforated suede inserts" so you would think they would be able to be ventilated?

I've been curious about that for a while, the dealer did not have a concrete answer. thanks...

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Agree, this is an awesome option.

Anyone have a real explanation (logical?) as to why these are available on a regular STS but not on an STS-V? I know the STS-V has the suede inserts, but the GM marketing always lists that as "preferred perforated suede inserts" so you would think they would be able to be ventilated?

I've been curious about that for a while, the dealer did not have a concrete answer. thanks...
That is strange, I thought the V would have them for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts