Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DHS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be the effect of the wild weather changes around here, and the awkward 45-50 degree temps, but it seems like the climate control in my 01 DHS is out of whack.
As I said, its been in the high 40s here in Cincinnati lately so when I leave for work its pretty chilly. I keep the temp at 72 and have everything on auto and it is always comfortable. Lately it has warmed up as usual, warm air coming through the defog vents and floor, then changes to milder air through the dash vents. After this, though, it starts blowing cold air at me through the dash vents..to the point where it is uncomfortable. It seems like it thinks the interior is warmer than it really is, or the outside air is warmer than it really is. The outside temp reading is accurate however. Anyone know what could be going on here?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DHS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No codes were found. I have a theory though: I looked into the little grille where the cabin air temp sensor is and it is clogged with dust and the tiny fan is no longer spinning. I'm assuming this is enough to throw the climate control out of whack but not enough to trigger a code. Anyone know how to get to these to get it out? I'm thinking I'll get it out and attempt to clean/lube it and see where I'm at from there.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
You are on the right road. Open the driver's door and you will find a panel on the end of the end of the dash; pull that panel off to gain access to the fan and temperature sensor assembly.

Cleaning and a drop or two of machine oil for the fan motor bushing might put you back in the comfort zone.

While your Reds and my Braves are staying competitive, those Phillies are playing .690 ball. But - it's early!!

·
Registered
2001 DeVille DHS
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim, We may be thinking of different sensors. The one I am referring to is on the right side of the steering column. I just tried to get to it but I was defeated. Took off the lower part of the dash that covers the bottom of the steering column across the drivers area, then took off the bracket that supports it and contains the floor heating ducts. Looks like the section with the sensor is held in by a single bolt, but it is very difficult to get to. I have to go to home depot to see if I can pick up an extra long extension bar for my ratchet.

You're right, the Phillies look tough again this year..I'll be down in Atlanta memorial day weekend to visit my parents and see a game of the reds/braves series. Should be a great series.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
Have you tried some compressed air to clean it in place? I think the vent grill just pops out for better access.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts