Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6, 2016 Malibu 1.5T
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clicking/Tapping engine sound while idle. (update) Flywheel is the issue.

About 3 weeks ago I changed the oil on my car, and it has had no issues, about 5 days ago my cars coil pack failed, It gave me a horrible idle, and engine would not accelerate it would shake a lot. got a Blinking CEL at any speed past 30mph. cylinder 6 was misfiring, coil pack was dead no fires, got the coil pack changed aswell as the sparkplug. car stopped misfiring and the bad idle went away.
Now the car idles perfectly but I get a constant ticking sound, could the engine took damage from this? should I worry about this sound? sometimes its not very loud, sometimes its loud enough to hear clearly.
any idea what went wrong?

Could it be a exhaust leak from all the bad misfiring that went on?

Just checked the sound comes straight from the bottom, if the car is idle and I apply gas to go up to 1500 rpms, the faster it revs the quicker and fainter the sound gets. I had an exhaust leak before and it got louder when I revved the engine. so Im not sure if this could be the problem even tough the sound comes from the bottom and not the top of the engine.

Update: issue appears to be a cracked flywheel, mechanic inspected and found a slight crack on one side.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your imput will have that as something for the mechanic to look into when I take it to him?
Also is this serious?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for your imput will have that as something for the mechanic to look into when I take it to him?
Also is this serious?
There is a chance it is causing your issues but honestly my 3.6 had a ticking factory purge so i swapped it out and a brand new one started ticking after idling for 5secs. The factory one was ticking a bit louder tho i would say the purge should be quiet enough you only hear it tick with the hood up idling. A purge is only 55-75 bucks it is right under your engine cover it is about a min or 2 to swap one out literally. And a brand new purge is probably still probably going to tick a little because of the high fuel pressure in the cts but like i said if you hear it with your hood closed in normal driving conditions then it is going bad.
Do you know where the exhaust leak is at?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The exhaust leak appears to be on the same side where the coil pack failed on the drivers side, again could the purge make a ticking sound to the bottom of the car?
The ticking is very loud now and can be heard about 10 15 feet from standing away from the car. if I rev up the engine the sound disappears.

·
Registered
2005 cts
28 Posts
Did you try un pluging the new coil and seeing if you ticking goes away? you might have gotten defective coil pack and you might hear the spark jumping across to ground. Also check the spark plug you installed is screwed all the way in and seated.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input will take a look at this soon, these are some very probable causes thanks for your help.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
came to the conclusion transmission may be whats causing the sound, I had my engine replaced and the mechanic told me their might be a loose bolt tapping in between the engine and transmission,
Sound is at idle, but usally goes away when changing into reverse, sometimes if im driving and when the car downshifts the sound goes away... Hope its nothing expensive.

----------

I found out that my cars evap solenoid ticks but its nothing compared to what my ticking sounds like, its definitely not the evap purge, my car sounds like it has an exhaust leak, its a very loud ticking.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Only bolts between your trans and engine are torque converter bolts. And that would sound like marbles in a coffee can when idling, and would speed up with increased rpm.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its been almost a week driving the car like this, and now it only does it on morning idles, usually when I stop at a stop light the sound will be heard, and once I am at full stop the sound will disappear, about half of the time time it does this. The other half it sounds like a bad exhaust leak when idle, I also noticed during downshifts the sound can be heard, then it pauses and comes back again.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only bolts between your trans and engine are torque converter bolts. And that would sound like marbles in a coffee can when idling, and would speed up with increased rpm.
your very close it was actually a bad flywheel, but I guess your still on the same spot, thanks man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts