Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2008 STS-V
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 Escalade that I bought new, and it currently has just over 210,000 miles on it. It is making a clicking noise when I am moving down the road. I can hear it when I’m speeding up and when I’m slowing down. I can hear it when I’m driving very slow' but of course when I speed up it clicks so fast that it changes noise. I thought it was a CV joint. Put new ones on, so don’t think it’s that. And it’s not a clunking noise, it’s a clicking noise. It sounds like it’s coming from the front, but with my less than perfect hearing it could be from anywhere. But definitely can hear it when speeding up and slowing down. If you’ve ever had someone pull a prank on you by putting plastic wire bundle ties on your driveshaft so it slaps the car when the driveshaft spins, that’s what it sounds like. I checked the universal joints and they feel good and tight. Might change them anyway. Anyone have an ideas I would appreciate the help. Thanks,

SugsPa

·
Registered
2003 Escalade
94 Posts
Your description sounds like it may not be mechanical. It took me a week last summer to find my "clicking" sound and it turned out that peeling chrome on the inside of one of my rims was catching the lower ball joint. You could also check your pads and the hardware to see if anything it catching on the rotor as the wheel spins. I would classify the latter as more of a rubbing or grinding but its easy and free to check to cross those off the list.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,103 Posts
I also had the pealing chrome noise. As our escalades get older I think it will be more common.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the front pads and visually inspected wheels. No peeling chrome, still haven't found the noise. Pulled front drive shaft and inspected u-joints. Checked gear oil in front drive. Everything normal, but the clicking noise. It sounds like clipping a playing card on to a bicycle frame so it will make a clicking noise when riding the bike.

SugsPa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out what it is. It's exhaust noise from broken bolts on the exhaust manifold. I had two mechanics look at it cause I didn't believe the first one. Well, now mystery solved. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,103 Posts
Oops, forgot about that. It is most often the bolt closest to the firewall drivers side. Sometimes it would go away after the engine warmed up. Very common GM small block problem. There is a kit that is easy to install for around $30. I had one on my Yukon and my son put one on his Tahoe during a lunch break.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts