Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 CTS is idling rough and misfiring. Looking under the hood I noticed that there is a constant clicking noise coming from the TPS. Does it normally continuously make a clicking sound or should I take it apart and look for missing teeth or just replace it? I haven't had any codes related to the TPS.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
You may not want to take apart the TB. Because you will not being able to put it back together. Besides, there are no teeth in there. It's most likely a direct drive from servo motor to the plate.

In the mean time, you can provide all check engine light codes you have, like briggy said. And you can also perform the relearn process for the TB. Which is very easy, here is a link to a how to.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/245095-throttle-relearn-process.html#post2771528

KOT

·
Registered
07' CTS-V | 07' Lux 3.6 Volant-Borla-Vsways | 08' CTS 3.6 DI Performance
969 Posts
On the CTS it's normal to get clicking noises and whine from the TB servo.
Especially when ignition goes to on position, the ECM tests it's ability to move the TB plate before an engine start. That's normal.

As KOT mentioned, let's get some diagnostic code readings to find out which cylinder is misfiring or if it's a general misfire.

Chances are you have a bad ignition coil or two.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses so far. The codes I'm getting are P0300, P0306 and P0341. I've gotten a couple 304 and 302 codes but most consistently, 300 and 306 and 431. The clicking noise I'm getting is constant, not just when the ignition goes into position.

It's possible I have a bad coil pack, but I'm reluctant to buy a new one to find out that wasn't the problem when there are other things I might be able to eliminate first. I'm not sure if a possible problem with the TPS can also cause these misfires.

·
Registered
969 Posts
OK so you have random misfires (P0300), cylinder six misfires (P0306) and P0431 P0431 - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2 (Are you sure it's not P0341?)

To debug just the ignition coils, swap the positions of ignition coils 6 and 3. 6 is the last cylinder towards the rear of the car driver side. 3 is the middle cylinder passenger side.

If P303 now starts setting it's the ignition coil you'll need a new one. I recommend BWD Borg Warner Coils (they have a lifetime warranty on them and are cheaper than AC Delco 1 year warranty)

As for your Cat issues, that cat could be going bad due to the misfires.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,806 Posts
Those random misfires will cause the TB to "adjust". When my engine was misfiring, the TB kept on trying to make up for it. So it would do those ticking noises.

Fix the misfires, by diagnosing it like CTSM stated, and the TB should stop clicking. Heck, even the Cat issue can go away. Since the misfires are occurring, the Cat isn't warming up as fast and/or as hot as the other. (Just in my humble opinion)

Since you are getting a misfire in cylinder 6. Then I would swap the coil, only the coil, with cylinder number 5. The reason why I say that, is because those two cylinders are accessible with out removing the upper air intake. After the swap and you get a misfire code in cylinder 5, then you know to replace the coil pack. If it stays in cylinder 6, then it's either the spark plug(easy) or the fuel injector.

Now, on my latest misfire. Swapping 5 and 6 coil packs is exactly what I did. However, the misfires went away after the swap. How typical. But months down the road it started to misfire again, pulled the codes and found that the issue followed the coil pack. So I replaced it.

KOT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses and I'm sorry I mis-typed the code. It's a P0341 code, not P0431. So there is no issue with the Cat, the code is for the Camshaft Position Sensor. This car also just has the one long coil pack for all three sparkplugs on each side of the engine and the two coil packs can't be switched with each other. So, should I take a chance and replace this one or should I go for a new Cam Position Sensor first? Or something else?

----------

Okay, quick follow up -- i'm getting that P0306 code and I went out to take the coil pack off, and the boot on the cylinder 6 spark plug is ripped and cracked, a lot. I think I'll replace this first as it seems this can cause arcing and a misfire. Agree?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP here -- I replaced the cracked/torn boot on cylinder 6 and the issue is still the same: 306, 300 and 341 codes.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oh man, I was hoping it wasn't a P0341.

Look a best case scenario there is an issue with the Camshaft Position Sensor at bank 1 or it's wiring, which is the bank at cylinder 1, the passenger side head.

If no issue is apparent with the wiring and the sensor is not the problem (testing a new sensor in it's place) then there is an issue with the head or the camshaft backlash which is usually remedied with a new head and possibly a new camshaft.

I hope it's an issue with the sensor as that is an easy cheap fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts