Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery has been dead I believe from the pump under the hood running. Now when I hook the battery charger up to the car it makes a clicking noise near the glove box, sounds like a flasher under there. Could it be the security system going off and how do I get it stop without the door key if it is? What else could it be?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Not sure on the 83 Eldo, if the relay center is behind the glove but the clicking could be one of the many relays that are normally located there along with some fuses. Depending on which pump you refer to under your hood it may be the associated relay for that circuit. Whatever it is, it could be why your pump keeps running and draining your battery. Just unplugging it may help temporarily til the whole problem can be remedied.

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it gets even weirder. I hooked up the battery charger to do some more diagnosis and noticed that the only time this black box starts thumping is when the drivers door is open. I can open the passengers door and nothing but the minute the drivers door opens it start the thumping noise. The box is located directly under the glove box and it has a part #1624406 but I cannot find that part number anywhere. At first I thought it was a vent mix door sticking, but you can feel the box and feel the thump inside it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
disconnect your battery to recharge it. Perhaps whatever is "thumping" will be reset when you reconnect. If not then you will need to check DTC codes for clues using your OBD display.

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know, I have built Jaguars, Bmws, Muscle cars, and this thing is making me feel like an idiot, lol. I unplugged the battery and brought it to full charge and then re-connected it. The thumping continues, so I unplugged the black box hoping it might reset but no luck. Is this car like a Chrysler where you can flip the key on and off 9 times to get codes? Or is there a way to jump the eprom for codes?

·
Registered
759 Posts
1. Ignition ON. Engine OFF.

2. To enter OBD mode, simultaneously push and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel for 3 seconds and release them.

3. Codes will scroll display on the Fuel Data center. Make a note of each one.

Turn OFF ignition.

You can read more about it from this thread sticky from the Deville forum:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes.html

Post the codes here for all to see. Maybe get more help that way.

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
I have found the Haynes manual that covers the 83 Eldo is very helpfull in navigating the trouble codes. The clicking box is curious through. The MAP sensor is located behind and to the right of the GB and is connected to the vaccum system.
The pump is for the rear air shocks. Chances are the rubber boots on the shocks are damaged and leaking air.
Since the car has been setting a couple of years you might want to replace the vaccum hoses.
Once you have it on the road you are going to love it!

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know it is odd you ask that last question, lol. I will post pictures of my little $350 dollar jewel tomorrow. When I first told my wife about it believe me she had a picture in her mind and it wasn't good. When the my towing service dropped the car off you could see her jaw drop. The car is virtually flawless, one owner with 80k on it. It has the typical headliner (being replaced wednesday), and the fillers were toast but I have a NOS set on their way. I originaly purchased it with the intention of making a couple of bucks but the car is too nice, the vinyl roof looks new. It has a "touring suspension", is that any different than any other Eldorado that year?

On the thump, this box is located directly behind the lower dash in front of the left side of the glove box right next to where the mix door is. It has a ton of wires plugged into it and it is I would say 1 1/2 inch x 3 or 4 inch long. I have looked everywhere and even called the dealer on the off chance and I can find nothing on that part #. I am trying to find a dealer shop manual as we speak, I am sure it will help

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
350! Sounds like a sweet deal. I didn't let my wife see mine till I cleaned it up a mite. I also replaced my head liner recently, Did it my self. I found a color match at a local shop. Touring suspension is an option that was avaliable and was standard on the touring coupe package. The black box you are refering to, Is it about 5 or 6 inches long by 1 1/2 square? If so it just might be the chimes. I was servicing the Bose stereo head unit in my 83 Eldorado just yesterday and discovered the chime module in the area left of the glove box. Sounds like something is maybe stuck or broken so as to muffle it. More than likely it’s a commonly used part in that era of Caddy's. Check out your local JY or try GM Vintage Parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts