Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
srx
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scoop:

About a week ago I replaced my front brakes (04 Srx AWD 8). I did not have the rotors resurfaced as there didn't seem to be a need for it; however today the car started to make a clicking sound coming from the front right wheel. Before I took the car to a mechanic, (just a mile away) I filled it with gas, and as I accelerated out of the gas station--quite quickly (so as to avoid not getting hit by oncoming holiday traffic) the clicking stopped. Typcially, I do not drive this vehicle hard, but as stated before, I needed to move ASAP.

The mechanic resurfaced my rotors, but because this noise wasn't repeatable when he drove it--ergo: I left without the issue resolved.

Tonight while driving around town this noise began once more (this time w/o hard acceleration). My assumption is that the noise is caused by some amount of heat on a brake component. I am not sure the acceleration caused it to seize. I believe sitting while having my gas filled (NJ you can't pump you gas and attendants can take a bit longer than necessary) caused the components to cool enough to end the problem.

It does not sound like a bearing giving out. I've had my rear bearing replaced (warranty) and know what a humming rumble bearing sounds like. This sounds similar to a caliper grabbing the rotors just as your brakes are giving out. When it clicks: making turns the noise stops--driving straight it continues. Could it be a single bearing? If so, what does a bearing repair cost?

I'm a pretty decent home mechanic--my other car is a '95 900 Saab (I have to be)--and I've replaced: Radiators, distributor, pulleys, belts, brakes, starters, alternators, shocks, etc.; and, the basics: oil changes, spark plugs/wires, etc. So, I would be willing to attempt the fix if it is a bearing.

All thoughts/help appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 Seville/2008 SRX
50 Posts
The clicking might be from the CV (constant velocity) joint on the front drive. You might try a search for that area.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade Premium Edition
196 Posts
Maybe your worn rotor has excessive runout. Or there could be corrosion along the outer edge. Does the click stop with light application of the brakes?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts