Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Devile

I heard a loud Clicking/Clanking noise when I make right turns. I had the right axle replaced and left axle is still fine. I had the left tie rod and bearing replaced and right side is still fine. I took the car to about 10 different mechanic and no luck with none of them and they were shop like midas, pep boys and other big name shop and local repair shops too and nobody can figure the problem out. They all said they never heard that noise before. You can hear it a half of block away.

One local shop said its my starter. Could the starter cause such a problem? I think he said its loose and also no functioning right. Sometimes when I try to start the car I only get a click noise then when I try again very slow it turns over.

Let me know if anybody had a similar problem.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Ummm how do you start the car very slowly? Anyways I think I remember a TSB about what your describing. I'll look it up and make sure although you should get access to the TSB's yourself. Anyways there are several things in theory that could cause the noise you are describing, for instance a bad top strut mount. If someone with experience that you trust says its the starter, and since you are having starting issues also, get the charging system checked and then it wouldn't hurt to put a starter on it. I know it isn't exactly the easieat job in the world but at least you know you would be fixing the starting problem and if you are lucky you'll solve the noise issue as well.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
The starter gear slides out against the flexplate on RH turns, noticeable at slow speeds. You need a new starter. To verify this, find an open area to get this to happen and turn the key to off. If the starter drive is against the flexplate making noise, it will stop making noise when the engine stops rotating. This is fairly common and I've seen it happen on all models since with Northstar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts