Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Sedan DeVille (03.28.2020 is has less than 87,500 actual miles.)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been too good navigating through our forum.
Been a Caddi man all of my 60 years. I've owned well over 19 old school beasts, plus an Allante. Good luck trying to find an old school crest and wreath 'Heritage of Ownership' badge.
Currently, I own a beautiful 1996 DeVille with less than 87K miles. No rust anywhere other than the frame. No dents and a delightful sunroof.

My question is this: Is there a way to delete the 'history' codes? For those who are unaware, I believe 2002/2003 was the last time one could pull codes from the IP. What a pity.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
981 Posts
If a fault does not re-occur history codes are supposed to go away on their own, but I think they can also be cleared with an appropriate code reader...at least with 2000 and up.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,714 Posts
What year we talking about; '96 or '01?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I think Cadillac did away with the onboard diagnostics (available to us without a scanner) in '05.

You can clear the history codes on a '96 via the onboard diagnostics. I think you simultaneously press and hold the OFF & WARMER buttons till the IP lights up all segments, then use the fan up and down buttons to navigate. It's been a while so if I'm wrong someone will correct me. As a last resort, you can simply pull battery power to clear them all.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,792 Posts
just curious, if the codes are history, why do you care about clearing them?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
In the 1996 and later OBD-II systems trouble codes that go to History or change to History due to repair will self-clear from the system after (depending on system) 30, 40, 50. 100 successful start-run-drive events during which the original code fault is not detected again.

As posted, you can also enter the "Clear All Codes" section of the diagnostics system in the car.

There are stickies on this in Seville, Deville, and Engines; Northstar. The correct section of "How to pull codes".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much for all your inputs. Above I was asked:: just curious, if the codes are history, why do you care about clearing them?
I stopped for a quick catch up with a buddy that was out for his morning jog. When he was getting ready to return to his ride, he apologized to me that he put breath marks on my passenger seat.
Everything on my cars has at minimum, operates as the manufacture intended.
I am constantly asked if I would sell my 96 Deville.
To have code 'History" is to me having a Cadillac that is under-par. A mindset, yes?

Pulling codes and navigating thru isn't my challenge. One 'Current' codes are erased, they are directly filed into the 'History" category. My interest is to remove 'History' information to the point nothing is displayed other than an OBD code showing that I am in OBD diagnosis mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
correction from above:
(the above post was prematurely sent before I could review for grammar.)
Pulling codes and navigating thru isn't my challenge. when 'Current' codes are erased, they are directly filed into the 'History" category and re-reported next time(s) entering OBD mode. My interest is to remove ALL 'History' information to the point they are eradicated from view.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
correction from above:
(the above post was prematurely sent before I could review for grammar.)
Pulling codes and navigating thru isn't my challenge. when 'Current' codes are erased, they are directly filed into the 'History" category and re-reported next time(s) entering OBD mode. My interest is to remove ALL 'History' information to the point they are eradicated from view.
=============================
when 'Current' codes are erased, they are directly filed into the 'History" category
and re-reported next time(s) entering OBD mode.
WRONG - that's NOT how it works -

a DTC is set when a monitored device fails - or supplies erroneous information -
and that DTC remains CURRENT as long as that condition doesn't change -

when that condition DOES change -
the DTC is no longer CURRENT - and the DTC becomes a HISTORY code -

HISTORY codes are kept for many "DRIVE CYCLES" -
eventually - the HISTORY code WILL be erased from storage -
assuming it NEVER becomes active again -

NOW -
if you MANUALLY CLEAR a CURRENT DTC - it does NOT go to HISTORY -
the original problem that caused the DTC to be set still exists -
and the DTC WILL be set again -

manually erasing CURRENT codes does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING -
except TEMPORALLY stop the codes from appearing -

manually erasing HISTORY codes
permanently eliminates the codes from storage -

FURTHERMORE -
there are SOME DTCs - or other conditions - that can trigger a DIC MESSAGE -
these warnings can NOT be eliminated -
and WILL be displayed EVERY time the condition exists -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Truth ^^^

A Current code fault exists NOW. You clear it and, as soon as the systems run their checkouts, the code resets as Current. You CANNOT temporarily move a Current Code to History - no way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts