Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my neighbor bought a new nissan with a "clearcoat contract" .. to re-apply a clearcoat every 6 months for the next 6 years ....

anyone knows about this stuff is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Katshot said:
It's junk. Just a detailing thing not an actual "clear coat" like what's sprayed on by a body shop.
Another profit center for the selling dealer. These "polishes" have been around for a long time and are not worth the money. You don't need any polish or wax until the car gets some age on it, if at all as today's paint is very durable.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
tuttlejr said:
Another profit center for the selling dealer. These "polishes" have been around for a long time and are not worth the money. You don't need any polish or wax until the car gets some age on it, if at all as today's paint is very durable.
I will agree with HALF of that statement. Todays finishes are more durable in some ways but are LESS durable in others. The urethane clear coats used to day are more impact resistant but are very easy to "etch" with acid-based pollutants such as bird poop and acid rain. This is one BIG reason why you see most new cars arriving at the dealer with white plastic covering most if not all the horizontal painted surfaces. I would definately advise keeping a good coat of wax on your car to help extend the time the finish can withstand the attack of pollutants. In the end, NOTHING it fool-proof. NOTHING guards against EVERYTHING for an unlimited time. Keep your car washed and waxed as often as possible and if you see anything like bird poop etc on it, clean it off ASAP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts