'09 CTS DI FE1 Luxury
I might just go with the Turtle wax kit. I used it before and it worked great. Includes wet sand paper, lube, polish and sealant for ~$10. If I had more lights to do it would make more sense to buy things separately but I only need to do 2 headlights every few years.Just make sure it is the type tried and proven. There are two versions offered by Minwax, oil based and water based. You want oil based which is in the green can. Make sure it's not too old also. I plan to do the Nissan lights next and I'm going to apply a double coat for more UV protection in hopes of a greater longevity which currently appears to be about a year +/-. Some have upped the urethane concentration to 60% and as much as 70% I recall reading, but I believe these individuals are more experienced in the application, because the thicker mix is more prone to streak if your hand is not steady and efficient during the application.
For those unaware, hi temp paint gives off a lot of smoke while being cured by running the engine to heat up the exhaust. The can also says you can cure it in the oven, but since most ovens are indoors I don't think they gave that idea enough thought.
I didn't fully cure those pipes in the oven so there was very little smoke. I just wanted to partially cure them so that less paint came off while installing them on the bike. You know how chalky that hi-temp paint is until cured. It's also a good idea to turn the outside-vented range hood fan on high and weather permitting, open some windows.
Wow! That was a helluva day, I feel for ya. I've had days like that and they're not much fun. I bet you're glad it's over.I had cleaning the valves, and changing the motor mounts scheduled for yesterday, to follow changing the plugs in my mom's saturn, a 1hr job tops on her LY7 motor, which does not require removal of the intake. Then I got distracted and forgot that I had not put the socket back on the new plug that had already been partially threaded, stuck the extension in the hole on the back side of the FWD motor, which wedged between the plug terminal and wall, twisted and snapped the plug stem sending porcelain bits down around its perimeter and instantly the 1hr job turned into 6 hrs. I had to remove the intake, eventually crush the bits further by hammering a 12 point socket down in the hole not too roughly, when I could not blow them out with my air compressor, which I had to make a custom diaphragm for from heater hose first, upon discovering the original had sprung a leak holding me to 50 psi of the 100 I was seeking.
Finally got the bits and a new plug and had to go back and purchase a thread chaser because during the plug twisting inward a little to help further crumble the bits to blow them out easier, some wedged in the threads. Cranked the car up after the plugs were finally in and it was skipping, the scanner pointed out I had forgotten to plug in the variable intake valve, I corrected that, cleared the codes and fired it up. It idled smooth until I gave it a little gas where it started skipping again and making some bad noises. I shut it down and felt doomed except for scanning again to see if the miss was coming from the cylinder the plug broke on. Cranked the car up again and no trouble, test drove it and had my mom test drive it with no further problems. I thanked God and called it a day after starting at 10 a.m. and finishing around 5 p.m. I will not make that mistake again.
I also hope that you get to clean those valves as I intend to base my own valve cleaning foray upon your methodology and experience. I've seen a few videos and DIY's on the subject and the one thing I don't like is the use of metallic brushes. I'm hopeful that stiff nylon brushes will suffice. I'd hate to lose a few stray SS or bronze wires into the engine. Hopefully the solvent will soften the deposits enough that the nylon bristles will do the job. I do hope that you consider making a DIY for this procedure. Padgett must be green with envy at your hwy mpg!I'm really hoping to get the valves cleaned today because I have an 80 mile drive back home from my Mom's, having had to stay overnight because of the excursion. The last hwy mpg test netted 28 mpg on the return trip and I want to see if it improves after addressing the valves. I also measured the before height of the intake relative to the strut tower brace to see if the mounts raise the motor any after install.