Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Escalade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, wanted to see if anyone can help. I have a 2004 Escalade, trying to get it smoged. We shut off the check engine light and they told me to drive it 40 miles.
After I did that we checked to see if any codes where still showing up but what we found is that the internal monitor thinks it has two codes that it has not cleared,
The first is a General Code the other is Evap. The check engine light is still not on and I have driven it four more days with the same results.

Can anyone help with how to clear those codes?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
It would help if the codes was posted

I agree with the other poster about the gas cap being a common issue with the evap system throwing a code

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Evap is a long one, i just changed the evap vent solenoid on a buddies escalade, i put 90 miles on it and it still was incomplete, with no sign of codes stored, so assuming the problem was fixed your gonna need to drive it some more

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
wesyder said:
Evap is a long one, i just changed the evap vent solenoid on a buddies escalade, i put 90 miles on it and it still was incomplete, with no sign of codes stored, so assuming the problem was fixed your gonna need to drive it some more
If you have access to a tech-2 you can do a evap test to see what's up

Most times it will clear right away but not always(I can speak from experience)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have a tec2 , the vehicle has been fixed, i was jus speaking in regards to the time it takes setting the monitors

·
Registered
2004 Escalade
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone. I have a tech 2 so I will try to clear the evap code. The smog center said I cannot have two codes on or it will fail the smog test. The real problem though is even after we shut off the check engine light the internal monitor is testing to see if anything is wrong and it is supposed to shut off the "general" code, this is supposed to take about 40 miles of driving but it has been 6 days now and the general code id still on testing everything. Not sure why or what to do.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Famousfred said:
Thank you everyone. I have a tech 2 so I will try to clear the evap code. The smog center said I cannot have two codes on or it will fail the smog test. The real problem though is even after we shut off the check engine light the internal monitor is testing to see if anything is wrong and it is supposed to shut off the "general" code, this is supposed to take about 40 miles of driving but it has been 6 days now and the general code id still on testing everything. Not sure why or what to do.
what does the general code show, and what the smog place means is that you cannot have 2 incomplete monitors

·
Registered
2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S
1,121 Posts
Having a Tech 2 will make it easier... 2 things you can do.

One is you can check the IM test status. It will show what has passed and what is pending. It will show like O2 heaters and EVAP has passed or failed.

The other is it will allow you to run service bay test on the needed system. A 5 minute service bay test/pass is a lot easier then a 40 mile + drive.
Some service bay tests required a cold start.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts